Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can creatures use the Sponge material at all?  (Read 968 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can creatures use the Sponge material at all?
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:55:39 am »

I've been trying for the past few nights to get a specific bodypart of a creature to be made out of Sponge material/tissue. But despite various attempts to fit sponge into the raws in every imaginable way, I'm still failing to get the game to recognise it as an available material. Note: Sponge is a vanilla material. I'm not trying to create a custom material; just use a pre-existing one. Should be simple, right?...

The body tags:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The body detail plan:

The tissue template:

I've got sponge everywhere. Everywhere hair is added, I've added sponge. Yet, the game still doesn't understand that sponge is a Thing That Exists. :(

Any clues? Also, is there some way of testing a bodypart's material in Arena mode or similar? Sometimes I can get something working, but I can't be entirely sure it's working right. Earlier I managed to break a moogle's antenna's skin, which shouldn't technically exist, because it's made of hair... o_o

Currently no errorlog errors except some color tag stuff that I'll figure out later.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
Re: Can creatures use the Sponge material at all?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:30:41 am »

Should be able to test it by butchering the creature, if you get sponge instead of hair, you're fine.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 04:48:26 am »

Sorry, I was still in the process of testing things when I was writing that post, and got myself a little confused. I do actually get errors:

MOOGLE:FEMALE:pompom, layer 1: Tissue SPONGE was not found, using first tissue instead
MOOGLE:MALE:pompom, layer 1: Tissue SPONGE was not found, using first tissue instead

I understand that this error means that a tissue called SPONGE hasn't been defined, but the thing is, I've tried everything I can think of to define SPONGE as a material in this creature's body, and nothing I tried worked. :/
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:50:06 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:44:55 am »

[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SPONGE]
I'm not all that fit with modding, but doesn't LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT mean that the sponge material should be defined within this same creature definition?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 06:51:10 am »

^ Correct.

You've got an ANTENNA tissue (derived from HAIR), a POMPOM tissue (derived from SPONGE) but no SPONGE. SPONGE doesn't exist at the local level (it's neither part of STANDARD_TISSUES or MOOGLE_TISSUES and isn't manually defined) so it can't be referenced. You're trying to reference SPONGE in MOOGLE_LAYERS, which is making the game spit errors.

I've got sponge everywhere. Everywhere hair is added, I've added sponge.

...if I'm getting you right, that isn't quite how tissue layering works. Each layer is applied seperately on top of the preceding layer, and layering is distinct from defining the tissue. What you've done is define the ANTENNA/POMPOM materials, define the ANTENNA/POMPOM tissues, define a body plan that lets you layer the ANTENNA/POMPOM bodyparts, and (attempted to) add tissues to said parts via said plan. You haven't made any changes to how the creature handles the rest of the layering, which'll behave as default until you mess around with VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS or do something completely different. The antenna had skin because ANTENNA is a standard body part category included in VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS so it got a layer of arguments 4 and 1 (BONE and SKIN).

tl;dr replace HAIR and SPONGE in the MOOGLE_LAYERS line with ANTENNA and POMPOM

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:37:15 pm »

Thank you so much for that, 3. :) It's been difficult to find comprehensive explanations of how tissues and materials work, as mostly what I find on the wiki are just lists of tags and tokens. I understand what's going on a LOT better now, thanks to that post.

I didn't really think I had created 'new' tissues. I simply thought I had assigned Hair and Sponge as tissues for the bodyparts. So that is something I'll try to fix, if I can. Otherwise, this works beautifully.

Thanks for the assist! :)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:02:01 pm »

Yeah the wiki is more of a straight foreward thing, I'm tempted to write up explainations for things. But there is not room or a place for that on the wiki

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 06:12:45 pm »

I got rid of VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS and created a custom plan that excluded the ANTENNA entry (and many others, like mandibles, etc), but I'm still able to butcher Antennae into Skin... That seems odd to me, I'm not sure where it could be getting that from? Shouldn't it butcher into Hair, if anything at all?

creature_moogle entries:

body plan entries:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:14:16 pm by Moogie »

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 06:47:14 pm »

Yeah the wiki is more of a straight foreward thing, I'm tempted to write up explainations for things. But there is not room or a place for that on the wiki

You should probably just write a modding guide with a good index for that, or extend an existing one, if there is such a thing.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 07:13:19 pm »

Spoiler: original post (click to show/hide)

Edit: Sorry for the confusing mess of continual updates. xD So, I removed those last two lines I posted about, and I think the situation has improved. It appears that the only problem left (and it is very minor) is that I can't seem to directly attack the antenna-- if I try to bite it, the bite will latch directly onto the head, instead.

But you know what, I bet I can figure that out with some more tweaking. I feel like I've learned a whole lot these past couple of days, thanks to the people in this thread (including you, Hugo, from the previous thread :) )

I think when I'm done and satisfied, I'll post all the raws up. No sense in me keeping it to myself, eh?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:28:43 pm by Moogie »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 07:41:29 pm »

Where do you have the ANTENNA body part defined?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »

In the body... uh, thing. The initial setup. This line:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID_SIMPLE:SIMPLE_JOINTS:MOOGLE_ANTENNA:MOOGLE_POMPOM:TAIL:2FLIGHTLESSWINGS:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:4FINGERS:4TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
I think I got it working now, though! :) The antenna appears to correctly act as a structural object at the front of the moogle's head*, obscured by the pompom. It's impossible to bite the antenna while the pompom exists, but after that part is severed, I'm able to bite the antenna and rip it off, too. The pompom refuses to butcher, and the antenna butchers into nothingness, which is fine by me.

*I added this: [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:ANTENNA:FRONT]