Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Equivalent Exchange for Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8744 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Equivalent Exchange for Dwarf Fortress?
« on: June 01, 2012, 01:06:18 am »

I had an idea for a mod just now, I have no idea how it'd work, but I figured I'd pass it by you all.

So, basically, Equivalent Exchange is a mod for minecraft, which you can get more info on here, though I'll summarize it here:

EE added a form of alchemy to the game, which allowed you to exchange nearly any item for a kind of universal currency, called EMC. This EMC could then be used to create any other item with an EMC value, so long as you had enough stuff to afford the new item(s).
To do this, you first must create an alchemy table, which allows you to convert stuff into EMC, and it can recreate any item which has been in its inventory at least once before, as many times as you can afford.

How would such a system work in DF? It would certainly be interesting, and it would FINALLY give you a good use for all that useless excess stone and metal and gems lying around, allowing you to create resources which are scarce, or unavailable on your site. (Note: I think that EE's balancing feature of only being able to recreate items which you have actually had before should be preserved, but I have no idea how one would go about doing this... Maybe just make the reactions require at least 1 of the item itself, plus the EMC?)

Thoughts, comments, etc? I might get around to doing this myself if no one else does, but I've never modded DF before, and I have a long track record for being lazy... Around has been gotten, and laziness has been trumped by boredom!

I'll use a spoiler here for developer reference space:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:42:59 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Equivalent Exchange for Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:52 am »

emc would have to be an item and everything would nead custom reactions
instead you could do early EE 10 stone + philosophers stone > 1 iron 10 iron + Philosophers stone> 1 gold etc

(Philosophers  stone would be preserved)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 01:26:01 am »

This would be quite tedious to make, if you ask me.

You'd have to make an reaction for dismantling boulders, transforming them into raw EMC, then make a reaction for every item that you can make with raw EMC.

Meaning to say, you'd have to make a EMC to Gold reaction, EMC to Silver reaction, EMC to other metal reaction, EMC to Feldspar reaction, EMC to Cedar reaction and so on and so forth.

One downside to this is that the list would be clogged with reactions that you're most certainly not looking for, and it would take a few minutes to scroll down and such.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:38:22 am »

This would be quite tedious to make, if you ask me.

You'd have to make an reaction for dismantling boulders, transforming them into raw EMC, then make a reaction for every item that you can make with raw EMC.

Meaning to say, you'd have to make a EMC to Gold reaction, EMC to Silver reaction, EMC to other metal reaction, EMC to Feldspar reaction, EMC to Cedar reaction and so on and so forth.

One downside to this is that the list would be clogged with reactions that you're most certainly not looking for, and it would take a few minutes to scroll down and such.

This is very true...
Maybe there'd be some way to reduce the clutter, by cutting out redundant materials? (just have 'EMC to wood', instead of 'EMC to cedar, elm, mahogany, etc.')
Or, would it be possible to group stuff into sub-lists, like the game does with forges? Like, you could have a 'wood' section, a 'stone' section, then inside stone would be something like 'economic', 'flux', 'useless', 'ore', etc.
Or, you could always expand the workshops, like having a Geology Alchemy table, a Naturopath Alchemy table, a Forge Alchemy table, etc. and have each be linked to a separate skill. Maybe even have yields increase slightly based on skill? Or maybe have EMC be used inefficiently until legendary?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:44:04 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 08:34:07 am »

Maybe there'd be some way to reduce the clutter, by cutting out redundant materials? (just have 'EMC to wood', instead of 'EMC to cedar, elm, mahogany, etc.')

Definitely possible.

Or, would it be possible to group stuff into sub-lists, like the game does with forges? Like, you could have a 'wood' section, a 'stone' section, then inside stone would be something like 'economic', 'flux', 'useless', 'ore', etc.

No.

Or, you could always expand the workshops, like having a Geology Alchemy table, a Naturopath Alchemy table, a Forge Alchemy table, etc. and have each be linked to a separate skill. Maybe even have yields increase slightly based on skill? Or maybe have EMC be used inefficiently until legendary?

Reactions are linked to skills, not buildings. Reagents used and yields given are always fixed, skill can't have an effect.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:07 am »

Reactions are linked to skills, not buildings. Reagents used and yields given are always fixed, skill can't have an effect.
Erm.. Putnam? I think you got that backwards, and accidentally said what he just said: "Reactions are linked to skills, not buildings" - I'm pretty sure they're linked to buildings, not skills.

Edit: straight from the vanilla raws (reaction_smelter.txt) (arrow mine)
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from bituminous coal]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE] <------
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:100:9:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:15:07 am by hubris_incalculable »
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 11:07:37 am »

No.

You could have a different building for each category of product (i.e. "EE Worthless Stone Crafts" "EE Steel Weapons" "EE Platinum Furniture").

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:03:06 pm »

It's still a lot of reactions. Say you have 100 items, divided in 10 sets. Then you have EMC. Each of the 100 items would have a reaction to turn them to EMC, then 100 more reactions to turn EMC into the items. That's 200 reactions. God knows how many items DF has. If you cut out redundant items, you get 110 reactions. 10 to EMC and 100 to the other items. You can't reduce it further to 20 reactions because what if you're trying to make gold? You can have a "turn x to EMC" option, but if you're trying for gold, you'd have a hard time if all you have is "turn EMC to metal".

Point is, it's be time consuming. Of course, I don't really mod, but that's my take.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:14:59 pm »

Depends, if you target only raw materials, or certain ones. Say you can only convert raw stone/wood/metal/gems/leather/cloth to an EMC to make any other type. And since wood and stones are basically the same value, just target one wood/ stone type. Oak/Basalt

then flux and metal/ore can be determined by how much EMC you need.

It all depends on how indepth you want it to be. You want to make every material in the vanilla game? well there is your 200 reactions, you only want to make sensiable reactions, if you know how to properly use REACTION_CLASS or MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT you can probally only have 20 - 50 reactions.

EDIT:
Still alot, but if you can have a WOOD/STONE/METAL/etc... tables/converters then you can reduce clutter of reactions.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:45:15 pm »

Hmm... Well, it's not like I have anything else to do, so I might as well give this a shot. Reading the wiki guide, then I'll type up a list of reactions I'll need to do, and try seeing how many workshop groups I can do...

EDIT:
Something I just thought; is it possible to make objects stack to any arbitrary number? Let's say, 10000. Also, is it possible to add containers which can only hold a specific item? If not, I suppose just making the EMC a new type of coin would be fine... Also, can you make an item have 0 weight?
Also also, would it be possible to make an item be haulable only by a container, not by itself?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:54:07 pm by abculatter_2 »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:06 pm »

If you make the EMC a liquid material you can restrict it to jugs, and any other tool thats use is LIQUID_CONTAINTER, and if it's a liquid material you can have it's densitiy really really light. But since your working with custom reactions I suggest not stacking the item, as custom reactions eat an entire stack regaurdless of how much it acually needs

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 04:20:34 pm »

If you make the EMC a liquid material you can restrict it to jugs, and any other tool thats use is LIQUID_CONTAINTER, and if it's a liquid material you can have it's densitiy really really light. But since your working with custom reactions I suggest not stacking the item, as custom reactions eat an entire stack regaurdless of how much it acually needs

Now, that's an idea, but could I somehow restrict it to specific kinds of LIQUID_CONTAINERs I create? Probably not... Heh, now there's an interesting image, a stockpile full of clay jars, filled with the chaotic, bluish-purple stuff of pure creation. I suppose I could always justify it as some kind of condensed, stable form of the stuff, but still.

And damn, but then again, I suppose this doesn't really change things much, maybe even for the better, since it makes cheap things much more in bulk.

Also, added a spoiler to the first post, for all the stuff I plan to add, which I'll cross or color-out as things get finished.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 04:47:50 pm »

Erm.. Putnam? I think you got that backwards, and accidentally said what he just said: "Reactions are linked to skills, not buildings" - I'm pretty sure they're linked to buildings, not skills.

Edit: straight from the vanilla raws (reaction_smelter.txt) (arrow mine)
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BITUMINOUS_COAL_TO_COKE]
[NAME:make coke from bituminous coal]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE] <------
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:100:9:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:COKE][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:SMELT]

I mixed up skills and reactions, the buildings are in the right place.

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:53:56 pm »

Maybe a less mind-bogglingly time-consuming idea would just be converting boulders and ore, and just making whatever you're going for using the already-existing workshop...

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 11:47:18 pm »

No one else thought this was a Fullmetal Alchemist mod?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"
Pages: [1] 2 3