Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lazy cats refuse to work  (Read 5011 times)

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy cats refuse to work
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:35:00 pm »

Hey all, been playing DF for a couple years, I may have even posted once or twice in the past but if so I certainly don't remember the username for it.

I've done a bit of modding here and there, nothing fancy mind you, mostly just minor tweaks and things. I used to have this spider civilization that I made out of giant cave spiders and that was a lot of fun. I made them able to create anything out of silk (silk logs, silk metal, silk stone, etc) so I could just build endlessly without worrying about having to constantly mine, move stones around, and worst of all, having doors that don't match in color (nooooo!).

So anyway, i'm on a new computer now, decided to download old DF again and get back to messing around with it. This time I decided to make cats my civilization, as I did with giant cave spiders in the past.

However, I can't get the little buggers to mine or chop trees.

I added [EQUIPS] to the cats, and then I also added [GRASP] to the mouth body part they use. Did it to the generic mouth, and then also tried making a new, custom mouth just for cats with grasp. Neither worked. They are also [INTELLIGENT].

I can get them to do basically anything else. They will disassemble the wagon, they will move things around to stockpiles, they will take the wagon wood and create workshops, and even work in the workshops to make things (beds, chairs, tables, etc) but I can't for the life of me get them to actually pickup an axe or pick and chop/mine. I can't figure it out.

I feel like i'm missing something obvious but i've gone over it dozens of times and I just can't see where it's failing. I've looked over the dwarf and human tokens to make sure I had everything there that should matter (like equips and intelligent), i've looked at body part tokens, i've even looked at the my little fortress mod because I know the ponies in that use their mouths to grasp, but it looks like the same stuff I have.

I also removed things like vermin hunter, etc just in case that might be the conflict.

Anyone have any ideas why this is failing? Could it be a size thing? I really don't know. Also if I can't get this to work, anyone know if there is a way to mine and chop trees naturally without using tools? That would be just as useful. :)

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy cats refuse to work
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 04:38:25 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, cats are under the Minimum size required by the weapons.
To fix this, make smaller versions of the pick and axe, or enlarge the cats.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »

Thanks, I was wondering if it might be a size thing, let me give that a shot.

Do you know offhand what kind of ratio there needs to be between tools and the ones carrying them?

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:12 pm »

Aha! It was the size. I went back and modified the tool sizes and reduced required size to use them, and now my kitties have tiny picks and axes and are finally working. Thanks a bunch. :)

Mister Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »

I'd personally LOVE to play a kitty fortress mod

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »

aw, kittens carrying around little pickaxes in their mouths... that is face-meltingly cute

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:35 pm »

aw, kittens carrying around little pickaxes in their mouths... that is face-meltingly cute

Not when your a kobold, cats are a kobold's HFS.

Someone should make a kitty fortress mod.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 06:29:40 am »

Any chance of getting the files for ..sounds a bit interesting as a base to work on ;) "I used to have this spider civilization that I made out of giant cave spiders and that was a lot of fun. I made them able to create anything out of silk (silk logs, silk metal, silk stone, etc) so I could just build endlessly without worrying about having to constantly mine, move stones around, and worst of all, having doors that don't match in color (nooooo!)."

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 10:29:52 am »

This makes me think of this book series my bro once read, called "Warriors".

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:06:25 pm »

Any chance of getting the files for ..sounds a bit interesting as a base to work on ;) "I used to have this spider civilization that I made out of giant cave spiders and that was a lot of fun. I made them able to create anything out of silk (silk logs, silk metal, silk stone, etc) so I could just build endlessly without worrying about having to constantly mine, move stones around, and worst of all, having doors that don't match in color (nooooo!)."

I'm sorry but they were on my old computer. It was very simple to do though, I basically just pointed the dwarf civilization to giant cave spiders instead of dwarves, added a few tags to spiders like intelligent and so on, then I downloaded one of those custom workshops that could produce anything in the game for free like all the woods, stones, metals, etc. And removed all the reactions except 3, and pointed them to 3 new materials which I then created. Silk metal was based off adamantine, silk stone was based off obsidian, etc. The general idea was that intelligent spiders should be able to craft basically anything they need from the silk they produce themselves, I attempted at first to make a single silk material that could be used to craft any item, but I couldn't quite figure it out, so I compromised and just made silk versions of metal, stone, wood, etc.

Basically it was just a bunch of copy-pasting and minor edits. End result was loads of fun though. :D

One interesting thing I noticed though was that whenever my spider soldiers put equipment on, I had made them able to grasp with all 8 legs, but they seemed to only equip one weapon and like 7 shields if I remember correctly. I always found that bizarre.

My kitty fortress is going well though. I have such a hard time actually playing this game, I keep wanting to mod and change everything!

I started a little experiment with one of my latest kitty fortresses where I embarked with just one male and one female and used them to create the entire population. But i can't stop those damn immigrants no matter what. I even set population to like 2 and immigrants still come anyway! I finally just burrowed the bastards as soon as they zoned on the map then butchered them. I didn't want them to get near my family of cats because I didn't want their relationships to be contaminated with them.

I also keep flip flopping between this and my "undead fortress" where I basically have one necromancer that is alive, needs to eat, drink, sleep, etc but is tended to by hundreds of lifeless undead servants doing all the menial labor. It's a work in progress, but i'm liking where it's going.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:11:14 pm by Shaso »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 06:50:37 pm »

Ha sounds like two mods that I'm doing. Just as long as you have one magic caster and a special livestock creature you can turn it's offsping into workers. thus living as a one man army
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:17:00 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 11:47:05 am »

Yeah, the first two immigrant waves are guaranteed unfortunately. Any chance of raws, or even just the size values you set the weapons to?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:49:23 am »

Well if you know the size of the cat, set weapon MINIMUM_SIZE to that or lower.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:27:39 pm »

enlarge the cats

One of my favorite Tolkien characters was a precursor to Sauron in early versions of the tale of Beren and Luthien: Tevildo, Prince of Cats, demonic servant of Melko. He had a giant fortress full of evil cats, and lounged around just being awesome. I guess what I'm saying is, I need to go replace my goblin entity with giant cats.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Shaso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:53 pm »

Yeah, the first two immigrant waves are guaranteed unfortunately. Any chance of raws, or even just the size values you set the weapons to?

I could send you the raws if you really wanted... But at this point, I sorta... kinda... went mad scientist on them. Gave them adamantine skin, acid blood, and a deadly nuerotoxin venom bite. They're still tiny cats, but I was just experimenting on them to make them tougher creatures. Rather than making them bigger and stronger, or relying on weapons or armor, I wanted to give them "natural" defenses.

As for the weapon size...

[BODY_SIZE:0:0:500]
   [BODY_SIZE:1:0:2000]
   [BODY_SIZE:2:0:5000]

^ This in creature domestic defines how big the cats are at any given age. I assume newborn, 1 year old, and 2 years old.

So under the item_weapon.txt I changed these values to this...

[TWO_HANDED:4000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:2000]

Not entirely sure what the difference is between the two values, but either way it works.
Pages: [1] 2