Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is the Minecart wiki wrong?  (Read 543 times)

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is the Minecart wiki wrong?
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Minecart

in fact, track stops are completely unnecessary to all basic minecart designs, rather being useful for automated designs. Track stops are commonly built at the beginning and end of a track.

None of my minecart routes worked until I put Track Stops where the Route Stops were located.  This was a huge source of confusion until I thought to build Track Stops.  I wanted to see if there was something else that was causing my routes not to work(they work fine now)?  If not, I would suggest someone who can edit the wiki should change that portion.  This is probably causing a lot of people to be confused.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Minecart wiki wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:42:19 pm »

Track stops aren't really needed unless you need the cart to dump at a location (instead of unloading) or want to stop an autonomous cart at a certain spot.  You can make a route with just route stops simply by making your track and using the route stops to control what it does at each location.  Mind you if you don't use track stops then the minecart will only work well using the guide command.  If you tell your dwarves to push or ride it and there isn't a track stop along the way it will likely not reach the destination route stop, or stop at it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Minecart wiki wrong?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 02:36:11 am »

I think the word there is automated. If it's going on the tracks with rollers, you'd need some kind of brakes, but if you got a dwarf to pull it along, you don't
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.