Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zombie Days  (Read 4670 times)

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie Days
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:32:36 pm »

I've found a great zombie apocalypse game recently and i wanted to share.

The thing that sets it apart from other games is that there are no resources to manage. You dont have to collect wood, stone and gold to train armies and all the bollocks that seems to be the trend these days. This game is open ended. You can be a lone scavenger, desperate to clean up the street he once called home or you can be one of a faction hell bent on an agenda.

This is the first browser based game that is open enough for the players to do what they want, rather than do whatever the game says you should be doing. It has enough substance to keep you entertained and is quite simply a gold mine for people who like to roleplay.

The game has a huge urban map which flows seamlessly into suburban and country surroundings. There are multiple districts, each with their own street names, buildings and layouts. Every building is claimable. This means you can literally take a building for yourself, barricade it and stop others from entering. You can even claim entire districts if you have the patience or manpower.

The game is relativity new, which means the admin is  eager to expand the game. He listens to feedback and comments on suggestions. There is true potential to shape this game yourself, as a player. We have a small wiki being worked on, as well as a few guides in the forums. Come take a look and be part of the community!

Oh, and i forgot to mention. You can drive vehicles. You can have a mobile base with all your  supplies in the back seat. You could even found a faction that roams the wastes in a convoy of trucks.

http://www.zombiedays.com/

Signing up can be a little confusing. If anyone needs a hand, dont be afraid to ask.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Days
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »

Looks quite interesting, but then I find any zombie based strategy/rpg/sim interesting! I'll give it a bash!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:29 pm »

I want to say that the very begining of your post:

The thing that sets it apart from other games is that there are no resources to manage. You dont have to collect wood, stone and gold to train armies and all the bollocks that seems to be the trend these days.

Is kind of a turn off for me. While we have lots of zombie games there are very few that have a good or interesting resource management model.

Anyways, you don't give a whole lot of information about the game. Is it turn based? Action points? Is there any sort of a subscription model? Does it play similarly to any other browser games? Can you add a screen shot? Is there a way for us all to team up?

Sounds almost interesting enough to click the link.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:23:12 pm »

No gold or lumber.

You probably gather zombie spleens.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 04:30:37 pm »

Just played it for half hour.

There ARE resources of sorts. Food, drink and barricade building materials ARE in-game.
Plenty of items - clothes, weapons, vehicles etc. to find and use. As well as random items like consoles and TVs that have a value attached - trading in future builds?
Lots of houses and buildings to explore.

The game provides you with a set number of action points per minute/hour/day (not sure which) and you go around the town and explore/loot/kill.

Pretty fun as a time-filler.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 04:40:21 pm »

This is one of the more annoying registration processes I've seen...

Doesn't accept disposable/forwarding email accounts, re-verification of birthdate and country, logging in directly resulted in an error; had to first connect/activate a Zombie Days game account from a different page (I think the registration is actually for the metasite, which is also for something called Slate City...).

Now that that's all sorted:
"You start with 1,500 Energy () which is replenished by +1 every minute for a total of 1,440 a day. All actions that you perform in the game will use up Energy."
"...using Points () which can be gained by trading them with other players or Donating."

As a point of reference, walking into a building I started next to took 7 energy. Spent 14 energy searching for stuff, and found *47* items. Most of them are pretty mundane, like a bowl or a glazed donut (rotten). Pagination seems to be broken, so the only way to view everything you found is to set the show option to list all items. Also, I'm not sure how this works, but there's throwing damage listed for a 'medium sofa'. It also takes 5 energy to pick up... same as a zucchini.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »

To regester and login successfully, make an account with http://www.mmotag.com/ I believe its the parent site, of sorts. You can then access the game through this site or bookmark the zombie days site directly.

Resources.. i generally meant the systems travian, ogame and a huge range of other games use. Your character will need to eat, so collecting food could be considered a type of resource if you like.

Almost all items have damage ratings, such as the sofa in the above post. You equip items, target something then throw the item. I never realised you could use sofas as a weapon. As for the sofas energy cost to pick up, it costs a static ammount to pick up items as far as i know. When those items are thrown or used as a weapon, the items weight/load is the cost of attacking. So throwing a table with 50weight/load will cost 50 energy.
You acquire things by looting and trading.
There is a faction system, which is guilds, cooperations or whatever you like to call it.
As Aoi explained, the game works with action points or 'energy'. +1 energy per minute, maximum of 1440.

There is a stat system which determines combat, item finding/hiding, view distance, etc.

Donating."
You can watch advertisement videos, fill out 3rd party survey and a few other things to earn points instead of donating. The amount for videos is pretty negligible but the surveys can range from 300 to 4k+ points. Points can be earned through the MMOtag site and are added to your mmotag account, which can then be distributed among a number of games (currently only zombie days, but i think they guys at MMOtag are associated with the guys at similar site which i forget the name of).
Points are mainly used to unlock lockboxes ingame. Lockboxes are typically ammo/gun cses and lockers with armour. There is an item shop but the items available are mainly cosmetic (points earned can be used here too as far as i know).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:40:13 pm by Mishy »

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:38:42 pm »

To clarify, you gain 1440 points each day. It takes 25 hours to restore your entire collection of points if I remember correctly.
This game is pretty neat. Though I am a bit miffed that all the good food is rotten. Still. C'est la vie.
I've been collecting and hiding food and barricading a house I found.
I suggest you guys check out the damage value of something before you try to use it as a weapon. Knives suck. Butcher knives, not so much.
EDIT: Oh god I knew making too much noise would come back to haunt me. I see a LOT of zombies far off. I think they're closing in on my bungalo. I've also discovered you can throw zombies. It takes 225 strength. Sorry, incorrect. You can throw stuff REALLY far away, but not zombies themselves.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 06:23:24 pm by Koliup »

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:39:25 pm »

The action points zombie survival thing has been done way too many times. Not too interested in this.

Also, I'd die for a zombie rts where you gather resources to build! I dont think that kind of game even exists... imagine Age of Empires in a zombie apocalypse :D

Then again, RTS browser games tend to be pay-to-win and terrible.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:43:07 pm »

A vital piece of information i forgot to mention, the game resets this weekend with an update so joining now will give you a great tutorial run before we all start on equal grounds.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 05:46:17 pm »

Knives suck. Butcher knives, not so much.

Judging from where I found knives, and their values, I'd guess that 'knives' refer to those uber-dull butterknives you get in restaurants, rather than something that, ya know, actually cuts. Or even a steak knife.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 05:47:29 pm »

Judging from where I found knives, and their values, I'd guess that 'knives' refer to those uber-dull butterknives you get in restaurants, rather than something that, ya know, actually cuts. Or even a steak knife.
I found one in a home. I suggest you nab a bass guitar. Not too hard to find, and can do okay damage.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 12:54:15 am »

Man. People have a lot of health. I was curious to see what'd happen if I tried to kill somebody, so I've been bashing this guy with a monitor. I've probably smashed him with it upwards of 70 times so far, and he's still standing.

...Sigh. If only it was a CRT...

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 01:43:12 am »

People have 1,000 health. Make note of your damage each attack. Divide 1,000 by that. You gotta hit him that many times. Good luck.
How close are you to offing him, by the way?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:25 am »

About 4 a hit, so assuming he started off at max, he's still at about 2/3rds.

Yeah, this is going to take a while.
Pages: [1] 2