Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weird or amusing trends you notice in your game.  (Read 3859 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weird or amusing trends you notice in your game.
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »

So over the last couple of fortresses (some in 0.34.07, rest in most recent) I've only ever gotten one migrant per fortress with more than a handful of kills on anything (usually an animal).  However, this dwarf always has anywhere from 30, to 92 (current fort). He's sitting on one dwarf kill, 82 trolls and 9 goblins! Anyone else notice amusing patterns like this persisting through worlds?

Even when I'm at a population of 200 dwarves I never seem to get any with more than a couple of kills other than the one Commander Badass every time, and I've taken to naming him/her accordingly.

So, let's hear your stories
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Weird or amusing trends you notice in your game.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 02:41:16 pm »

I tend to get Great Animal Caretakers. The labor animal care has no use in the game.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:42:25 pm »

I thought it affected their ability to um... I uh.... give them water I guess? Yeah, that sounds pretty annoying.
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:03 pm »

A good 50% of my military is always made out of Great or higher fisherdwarves, I never get anything exept for possesions, never a fey mood or anything, and I never get a goblin ambush/siege on a fortress where I want one, but ALWAYS get one on a fortress where I'm trying to learn a new industry. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:11 pm »

I get a surprisingly high number of fisherdwarves too, though they aren't all great, many are Competent or worse.  The thing that strikes me as especially strange is I seem to get more of them when I've embarked on a desert location... sometimes as many as half of a sizable migrant wave will be fishing or fish-related professions.  i guess either they pissed somebody off, or I did.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:36 pm »

I get a surprisingly high number of fisherdwarves too, though they aren't all great, many are Competent or worse.  The thing that strikes me as especially strange is I seem to get more of them when I've embarked on a desert location... sometimes as many as half of a sizable migrant wave will be fishing or fish-related professions.  i guess either they pissed somebody off, or I did.

Whenever I decide that I won't fish at all in a fortress... well, that's when the hordes of fisherdwarves come. Like three in the first migrant wave, and it only gets worse.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:29:29 pm »

I get an unussually small number of childeren despite not fiddling with anything, and they're typically 5 or older, many close to usefullness.

Also, I have many dwarves with sadistic tendencies in combat, only being merciful if the victim passess out.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:33:58 pm »

So over the last couple of fortresses (some in 0.34.07, rest in most recent) I've only ever gotten one migrant per fortress with more than a handful of kills on anything (usually an animal).  However, this dwarf always has anywhere from 30, to 92 (current fort). He's sitting on one dwarf kill, 82 trolls and 9 goblins! Anyone else notice amusing patterns like this persisting through worlds?

Even when I'm at a population of 200 dwarves I never seem to get any with more than a couple of kills other than the one Commander Badass every time, and I've taken to naming him/her accordingly.

So, let's hear your stories

Depends on your worldgen settings. If your civ had a war in the last 100 years you are more likely to get lots of dwarves with kills. Lots of animal kills means a worldgen hunter; I'm not sure what factors affect whether or not someone becomes a hunter but they (anecdotally) seem to be more common in younger worlds.

The composition of professions in your migrant waves is linked to the composition of professions already in your fort by some arcane algorithm known only to Toady, so having an unusual glut of one type of profession or might be symptomatic of the game reacting to your playstyle.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:17:22 am »

It's only one dwarf with a huge rack of kills each time and the rest are never over 5 (in the case of the dwarf with 92 kills, the next highest is 1!), and the latest fort is at 1050 years of world gen, and on a new copy of DF. I also seem to get a lot of engravings of a human taming bobcats no matter the world I use. I'd drop the traitors in magma but I usually can't waste engravers =(

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:25:11 am »

I almost always get a High Master of three professions in my fifth migrant wave.
Usually:
A Weaponsmith or Armorsmith (awesome)
Glassmaker (Kinda awesome)
A fisherdwarf or soaper/potashmaker/useless farming skill (not awesome)

I thank the RNG for shining on me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 12:32:07 am »

Hans, you lucky bastard...

Hell i always find a use for everyone. My teeming hordes of fishery workers have been supplying my baroness for years now. Bitch worked her way up to legendary in two crafts (bone carving and wood cutting) with the former being supplied almost exclusivly by hunters and fishery workers until the goblins came and died in droves.

Human weaponmasters are not to be fucked with.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 04:59:36 am »

Every world I generate seems to have these two things:
Named (giant) dingos
Were-geckos

Weird.

Also, a migrant to my new fort came in with 169 kills!  Almost all of which were animal men.  And this is a 125 year old world.  Oddly, even with that many kills under his belt, he's only a level 7 hammerdwarf, and a level 6 dodger, armor user, and shield user.  Also, clumsy, quick to tire, and remarkably flimsy.  I guess the "Excitement Seeking" trait at 100% is the reason.  The next highest dwarf only has 62 kills.

EDIT: Regarding the fisherdwarf migrants, the migration wave generator will sometimes try to provide you with dwarves skilled in areas that you're lacking, thus fortresses with no fisherdwarves are more likely to get fisherdwarves, even if you can't use them.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:03:21 am by HiEv »
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 05:03:37 am »

Indeed, named giant dingos killing people or getting killed adorn the walls and statues of many of my fortresses, for some reason.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Xenogenic

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you will find the magma leak eventually.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 05:33:54 am »

I noticed my immigrants are usually completely useless in every way... on the other hand, my civ has had no wars, and lives on a peaceful part of the world. 125 year old world.

Dwarven Safety is kind of like a gun in a kindergarten. every single toddler wants to play with it and they will put elaborate plans in motion to get their hands on it. A hundred tiny hands grasping for death and crawling all over you begging for it.
Pages: [1] 2