Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart and zlevels  (Read 2371 times)

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecart and zlevels
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:24:02 pm »

It seems that i cannot build track below multiple z-levels from start. One time ramped track works but when i try to build track lower, route fails. What am i doing wrong?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart and zlevels
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:33 pm »

Not enough info. At a guess, you are trying to descend using a non-viable ramp, i.e. a ramp which does not have a backing wall in the correct direction.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:48:30 pm »

I have EW EW EWR EW EW(S)

EW = nort east track
EWR = north east track ramp
EW(s) = north east track with track stop

This works.

Then i have EW EW EWR EW EW EWR EW EW EW(S)

This does not.

Have you made working multi-z-level track?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:50:05 pm by Varjo »

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »

I've had this problem too, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong. I have a ramped track going all the way down to my magma forge on z~-127 from z-10, and it only worked the first time, and then showed that the track was not connected. I have proper stops, and the conditions are all properly set(I basically have it set to dump ore and then go back up). The strange thing is that I have a track from the surface to z-10 that works perfectly, even though they are constructed in the same way.

Is there any special way that ramp-tracks are supposed to be constructed?

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 02:21:55 pm »

I found that if I made a track then go down a z level.. on the next square over(in the direction you want to go) build a track ramp ,then come up and channel out above the track ramp ....rinse and repeat...seems to work.   so ====()
                                              ^====
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:24:56 pm »

I found that if I made a track then go down a z level.. on the next square over(in the direction you want to go) build a track ramp ,then come up and channel out above the track ramp ....rinse and repeat...seems to work.   so ====()
                                              ^====
update it says my tracks and ramps are usable but i haven't added the powered rollers to go up z levels yet. you have to have power to go up a z level.
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:49:57 pm »

Sounds like my guess was right and you don't have a viable ramp on the second section, but again, you haven't shown us an actual map so it's all still guesswork. You aren't showing enough detail. I try to make sure my ramps all go in the primary directions and not diagonally, and I have never had a problem with multi level tracks.

Varjo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:05 pm »

Thanks, i got it work. I had to channel one tile next to ramp.

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »

now it says my ramps are unusable. Pretty sure i did it the exact same way i did before. Maybe there's a certain order you have to do it in ?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:31:45 am »

It's easier to engrave track where possible (rock floors/ramps), rather than constucting it.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 03:45:49 am »

I have a long disconnected spiral track too. The track can turn 90 degrees on a ramp, right?

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:49:28 am »

I haven't yet put a minecart into working order, but I quess it's the same when you're trying to make a ramp/channel entry for trading wagons.
You have to make sure that there's enough room above/next to the channel, because else the wagon(or cart) can't get lower than the ceiling.

I would picture a cart getting stuck about 50% down the ramp, because it'll hit the ceiling of that ramp then.

About the 90 degrees turn on a ramp, I think that should be possible.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 05:54:43 am »

I haven't yet put a minecart into working order, but I quess it's the same when you're trying to make a ramp/channel entry for trading wagons.
You have to make sure that there's enough room above/next to the channel, because else the wagon(or cart) can't get lower than the ceiling.

I would picture a cart getting stuck about 50% down the ramp, because it'll hit the ceiling of that ramp then.

About the 90 degrees turn on a ramp, I think that should be possible.
I have tracks turning 90 degrees across a zlevel and can confirm it works. However, what doesn't work for me is engraved track ramps. I always had to build constructed track ramps to do that trick.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 08:50:51 am »

I have tracks turning 90 degrees across a zlevel and can confirm it works. However, what doesn't work for me is engraved track ramps. I always had to build constructed track ramps to do that trick.

I've got engraved track ramps to work. What I do on each level is designate the wall, the ramp, and the open space (downward ramp) all for engraving at the same time. This is necessary for the connection, even though they only carve tracks in the single ramp tile.