Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Humble Bundle V - Moar Games!  (Read 12766 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Bundle V - Moar Games!
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:17 pm »

I never understand missing out on a humble bundle deal just because you own the majority of the games. For one, you can still get that ONE GAME your interested in for cheaper than original price.
And you can choose to only give your money to that one game developer, if you choose. It's nice how they let you choose exactly where you want your money to go (in terms of the organizations involved).

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2012, 09:22:52 pm »

Luckily you can still do what I said above without giving any money to the charity, you can just give it to the devs or you know, the people who made the humble bundle possible?

That's exactly what I did. But it still annoys me when people go on about how the Bundle is such a worthy cause because [mocking tone of voice] it gives to charity [/mocking tone of voice]. "It's for charity" is apparently a one of those thought-terminating clichés, to the point where people don't even bother clicking the charity logo to see what it actually does (based on the premise that no one in their right mind would knowingly give money to a charity that buys videogames rather than to a charity that, say, runs hospitals or schools in poor villages in Africa).

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »

People have different view on charity. Most people just toss in a couple of dollars when prompted, assuming it will help someone and not wanting to give any time to it.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2012, 09:32:29 pm »

Because there's no evidence linking happiness and enjoyment to successful healing. Nope. None at all. And Hosptials are happy wonderful places where children can feel completely comfortable and relaxed as they heal from whatever ailments are requiring their prolonged stay. Yep.

Just sayin', those "just Video Games" can help the children feel more comfortable and relaxed. It's something familiar to latch onto in an alien environment. And if you're recovering from say a potentially life threatening surgery, that can make a difference.

Just because the rest of the world has troubles doesn't mean you should stop making your little corner of it better.

Heck, I remember I once had surgery as a kid. Wasn't life threatening, but some teeth grew in the roof of my mouth somehow (beneath the skin layer) and had to be cut out. Which meant the roof of my mouth needed cutting open. Which meant surgery. I swallowed a lot of blood during the surgery whilst unconscious, had some trouble coming out of the anaesthetic and threw up the blood I swallowed every time I tried to stand. So they kept me overnight at the hospital.

An alien environment, nobody I knew there, people coming and going constantly, lots of noises. I remember it being rather unnerving and kinda scary. I also remember getting to play Sonic the Hedgehog on one of the old Sega Mega Drives they had in the children's ward, which made me feel better xD Don't underestimate the power of something familiar in a strange and alien environment, especially for a child.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:41:52 pm by MorleyDev »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »

Excess codes(I'm bad at reading apparently, for some reason I thought I had to get another bundle for the last few games)
I have an entire above average bundle worth of steam codes if someone wants them or one of them.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »

Because there's no evidence linking happiness and enjoyment to successful healing. Nope. None at all. And Hosptials are happy wonderful places where children can feel completely comfortable and relaxed as they heal from whatever ailments are requiring their prolonged stay. Yep.

I said none of that, so kindly take your meticulously crafted straw men and shove it up your backside. Thank you.

Just sayin', those "just Video Games" can help the children feel more comfortable and relaxed. It's something familiar to latch onto in an alien environment. And if you're recovering from say a potentially life threatening surgery, that can make a difference.

Yes, having a videogame in a hospital that normally wouldn't have a videogame can make a small difference. But having a hospital in a place that normally wouldn't have a hospital makes a hell of a bigger one. Buying videogames for children in first world hospitals does so little good that it's not even worth talking about. It's feel-good, "I'm giving to charity, I'm a good person" bullshit.

Just because the rest of the world has troubles doesn't mean you should stop making your little corner of it better.

I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking is exactly why 30% of the world's population is living in poverty and dying of hunger as we speak (literally; more than 1 death caused by hunger per second on average). If you accept the validity of charities and you pick Child's Play over a proper one, you're basically saying "it's okay for you kids in Africa to die, because I'd rather buy this white middle-class kid who has modern healthcare a videogame".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 09:49:38 pm by Sordid »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »

I'm sorry, but that kind of thinking is exactly why 30% of the world's population is living in poverty and dying of hunger as we speak (literally; more than 1 death caused by hunger per second on average). If you accept the validity of charities and you pick Child's Play over a proper one, you're basically saying "it's okay for you kids in Africa to die, because I'd rather buy this white middle-class kid who has modern healthcare a videogame".
Then why are you talking about hospitals and schools instead of roads and farms?

Also, not every action implies an overt hierarchy to it, else you'd be stating right here that little kids can die in Africa because you'd rather argue with people over the internet. So please kindly take your meticulously crafted straw men and shove it up your backside. Thank you.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »

So, how's Lone Survivor? I've heard it was good, but any reviews?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:55 pm »

Yeah Lone Survivor is pretty good. It's got a Silent Hill 2D vibe to it. Doesn't exactly scare me, but Amnesia didn't scare me so apparently I have testicles of steel and spiking with menacing towers of notafraidium :P But it's an interesting game none-the-less.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2012, 09:57:14 pm »

Yeah Lone Survivor is pretty good. It's got a Silent Hill 2D vibe to it. Doesn't exactly scare me, but Amnesia didn't scare me so apparently I have testicles of steel and spiking with menacing towers of notafraidium :P But it's an interesting game none-the-less.
Play SCP: Containment Breach.

Also, record it.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2012, 09:57:36 pm »

Then why are you talking about hospitals and schools instead of roads and farms?

Because the focus of Child's Play is hospitals and children, not truck drivers and farmers.

Also, not every action implies an overt hierarchy to it, else you'd be stating right here that little kids can die in Africa because you'd rather argue with people over the internet.

Unstated major premise. You're assuming that I'm not an asshole who's okay with people in third world countries dying. My point was that once you've decided to give to charity, you should pick the most worthy one. Personally I don't believe in charities.
But yes, generally speaking it is quite depressing that people are going to the movies and playing video games and so on instead of spending every waking moment helping people who are starving and dying. Distance is a wonderful thing, isn't it.

So please kindly take your meticulously crafted straw men and shove it up your backside. Thank you.

That doesn't even make any sense in that context. I'd recommend that you look up what the straw man fallacy is before you try to call someone out on it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:01:52 pm by Sordid »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »

*prepares a wheelbarrow full of strawmen, and distributes several to everyone's rear; then nukes the whole place from orbit, just to be sure*

Anywho, looks like the bundle is about to top $4 million.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2012, 10:10:40 pm »

Because the focus of Child's Play is hospitals and children, not truck drivers and farmers.
So charities only have merit if there's not a better charity than them, but only in the same field? In other words, an anti-dysentery charity would be feel-good bullshit because fewer people die of that than AIDS, but an anti-ugly wallpaper charity would be alright because there's really nothing competing with it?

Unstated major premise. You're assuming that I'm not an asshole who's okay with people in third world countries dying.
Works just as well with anything that isn't what you're doing right this second. Evidently, at least for a few seconds, you cared more about responding to IronyOwl than making money, caring for loved ones, blinking, food, or ensuring you don't get shot in the face. Now you care more about reading what IronyOwl wrote than saving the whales, maintaining your home, or having washed clothes.

That doesn't even make any sense in that context. I'd recommend that you look up what the straw man fallacy is before you try to call someone out on it.
So you're arguing exclusively against ignorant, accidental adherence to the statements you've made, rather than actual lines of thinking?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:30 pm »

It's not distance, it's danger. If something happens on your proverbial doorstep, there is a risk it'll damage us personally. If not, it can't harm us so we have no vested reason to care. That's the human condition. Call me a cynic if you like, I think cynics are naive and cute...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:15:09 pm by MorleyDev »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:47 pm »

Anywho, looks like the bundle is about to top $4 million.

Is that a lot? I never paid any attention to the earlier ones, so I have no idea how this one's doing. I'm assuming pretty damn well?

So charities only have merit if there's not a better charity than them, but only in the same field? In other words, an anti-dysentery charity would be feel-good bullshit because fewer people die of that than AIDS, but an anti-ugly wallpaper charity would be alright because there's really nothing competing with it?

You're twisting what I said again.

Works just as well with anything that isn't what you're doing right this second. Evidently, at least for a few seconds, you cared more about responding to IronyOwl than making money, caring for loved ones, blinking, food, or ensuring you don't get shot in the face. Now you care more about reading what IronyOwl wrote than saving the whales, maintaining your home, or having washed clothes.

Well yes. Your point being?
Also, fuck the whales.

So you're arguing exclusively against ignorant, accidental adherence to the statements you've made, rather than actual lines of thinking?

I have no idea what that even means.

It's not distance, it's danger. If something happens on your proverbial doorstep, there is a risk it'll damage us personally. If not, it can't harm us so we have no vested reason to care.

Then again I don't put much stock in human empathy or morality, or even regard them as necessary or even all that useful. Call me a cynic if you like, I think cynics are naive and cute...

I don't put much stock in empathy either, but it does exist. If you saw a guy bleeding heavily on your doorstep, I'm fairly sure you'd call an ambulance even though his bleeding doesn't threaten you (laws obligating you to do so under threat of penalty notwithstanding). People do have the urge to help those who need it, but it drops of rather quickly with distance, both physical and social. Out of sight, out of mind. Hence the existence of Child's Play. Children not having videogames is perceived as more worthy of attention than children dying simply because the children without videogames are nearer.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:26:59 pm by Sordid »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10