Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pitfall traps?  (Read 3100 times)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
Pitfall traps?
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:04:26 am »

Heyhey, just starting a new fort, and my goal is to only use more complex traps (no cage trap spam). How many z-levels does an average gobbo need to fall to die? How does upright spear trap affect this?

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
Re: Pitfall traps?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »

Most people say 10z fall, but I've seen goblins survive that so 15z deep just to make sure. I think at 15z they just explode so you don't need upright traps, but it never hurts just to be sure.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »

Common consensus is 10 z levels min. The upright spike/ spear traps are linked to a lever when pulled, causes them to raise and lower.
 They are set along a narrow tunnel with deep channels along its side. With the lever set on pull(repeat) they will try to dodge, hopefully into the channel. Its a 50% chance they will fall into the channel, so have several set along the path, put the law of averages to work. CAUTION: This technique will injure/kill citizens also, so stop repeatedly pulling if cleanup is needed. Plus set a door that pets cannot pass through at each end.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:15:19 pm »

Common consensus is 10 z levels min. The upright spike/ spear traps are linked to a lever when pulled, causes them to raise and lower.
 They are set along a narrow tunnel with deep channels along its side. With the lever set on pull(repeat) they will try to dodge, hopefully into the channel. Its a 50% chance they will fall into the channel, so have several set along the path, put the law of averages to work. CAUTION: This technique will injure/kill citizens also, so stop repeatedly pulling if cleanup is needed. Plus set a door that pets cannot pass through at each end.

This technique can also create super-gobbos, similar to how danger rooms work. If they manage to get past the spike traps, you'd better have a squad or two ready to lay down their lives in the hopes of wounding that thing enough for it to bleed out before it gets to your fortress proper.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 02:55:32 pm »

common sensus of 10 has not taken new systems into calculations. Just go for at least 10 and after that as far as you can go, though maybe not more than 20
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:29:53 am »

:D Dammit, then I'd dig into my mining area (gold is worth digging the entire z-level :D). Maybe I'll just link the spikes in the bottom to a lever too, I'd guess it would be effective when they're stunned. Would 2 z:s be enough for a stun?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 07:11:42 am »

This technique can also create super-gobbos, similar to how danger rooms work. If they manage to get past the spike traps, you'd better have a squad or two ready to lay down their lives in the hopes of wounding that thing enough for it to bleed out before it gets to your fortress proper.

I can confirm thin; in my experience goblins tend to be extremely unlikely to dodge unless they are already hardened veterans, and elite goblins can survive surprisingly high falls (13-14 z levels at least).