Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Endless Rain?  (Read 2475 times)

LuRockz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Endless Rain?
« on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:32 am »

(Dwarf Fortress 34.10)

I had embarked and on the first day It announced it had started raining.
Truth is... It never stopped and now I have 175 dwarves and I'd probably have more
if they didn't suicide from the bad thoughts of getting rained on..

I have never played on this world without rain, when winter comes its a wild snow storm.
I don't have any mods except for the Phoebus texture pack.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Rain?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:51:58 am »

What biome did you embark in?

It's possible that you embarked in a fairly tropical area. DF's weather system is actually pretty close-to-life from what I've heard.

LuRockz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:24:30 am »

I embarked in a heavily forested, untamed wilds area.
I can see that it should rain a lot in this certain biome but It never stopped, literally.
I'm not sure if its a bug or endless rain is a given for this biome.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:42 am »

Well if it's a rainforest, then it makes sense.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 02:29:35 am »

Ever been to a rainforest? :P

It's almost always wet, varying from 'light drizzle' to 'Oh god monsoon v2'.

LuRockz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:41:55 am »

Well I live near the Everglades, It doesn't rain endlessly or close to that so I dont see why my embark location is cursed with this weather.  :-\
I feel because the fact that it's always raining that my dwarves are limited to underground life with the swarm of troglodytes and cave ogres.
A simple every-day task could turn out into a bad thought because of the weather and start a tantrum spiral, lmao.

Almagest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:07:33 am »

According to wiki page on Everglades
The park's dry season lasts from December to April, when temperatures vary from 53 °F (12 °C) to 77 °F (25 °C) and humidity is low.
so no wonder it doesn't rain there constantly. In DF, you've probably embarked on an area like Amazon or Congo Rainforest, which in real life are very close to the equator. Places in higher latitudes have dry seasons.

LuRockz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 03:17:07 am »

Understood, but can I please have some advice on how to deal with the rain less?  ???
I really dont want my fortress to go up in flames because of a variable that I can't control.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:19:13 am »

Keep in mind that it won't necessarily rain on all of your embark at the same time. Each individual embark square (so in a 4x4 fortress there are 16) can be raining or clear individually. As such it is fully possible that it has always been raining on some part of your map at any given time, even if the majority of the map has become clear before.

As for dealing with rain, it doesn't really cause any problems (except for a tiny bad thought if your dwarves go outside in it, but that is easily made up for with a fancy dining room). It actually is a good thing in most cases since it will refill murky pools and clean off blood spatters from around the map.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 03:23:15 am »

If you are so worried about the minor bad thought associated with weather, then just roof off an area outside.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 03:30:39 am »

don't let them go outside?

I've had a similar embark, but had so many happy modifiers that being rained on didn't matter much to them
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 06:02:50 am »

Just make em otherwise happy. Raining is such a tiny bad thought, you can just give em a fancy dining hall and decent bedrooms and they wont even remember. Maybe  statue hall or memorial hall.

Unlike freaky weather, which is mortifying to dwarves.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 06:55:07 am »

Just make em otherwise happy. Raining is such a tiny bad thought, you can just give em a fancy dining hall and decent bedrooms and they wont even remember. Maybe  statue hall or memorial hall.

Unlike freaky weather, which is mortifying to dwarves.
Also potentially Fun!

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:22:31 am »

Man I love the rain, falling water from the sky ftw!  Next fort I do is gonna be on that biome in the hope of having constant rain :D
I like sushi.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:29:09 am »

Rain creates only a very minor bad thought. Your dwarves are not committing suicide because of the rain. My bet? They committing suicide because they are naked, but it could be something else. Look at their thoughts and correct the other, non weather related problems.
Pages: [1] 2