Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: StarForge, Anyone tried it?  (Read 45245 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarForge, Anyone tried it?
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:41 pm »

I climbed/dug my way to the top of that big rock.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:57 pm »

Also, Its free.

Its also going to use the F2P business model.  :(  I was interested until I saw that.
Whats wrong with F2P?

Assuming all the F2Pers get are some cool hats, and maybe toys to play with, and the non F2Pers get a sizeable inventory of goodies to use, yeah, what's wrong with that?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »

Whats wrong with F2P?

Nothing, the problem lies with gamers who view that model and people who play such games as somehow inferior. Which is especially funny when it comes from a fan of another F2P game known as Dwarf Fortress.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21:14 pm »

Also, Its free.

Its also going to use the F2P business model.  :(  I was interested until I saw that.
Whats wrong with F2P?

Assuming all the F2Pers get are some cool hats, and maybe toys to play with, and the non F2Pers get a sizeable inventory of goodies to use, yeah, what's wrong with that?

98% of the time, F2P games have game mechanics put it to make it less fun unless you spend money.  Remember, F2P isn't designed to make things fun for you.  Its designed to make money by manipulating you into buying stuff.

Whats wrong with F2P?

Nothing, the problem lies with gamers who view that model and people who play such games as somehow inferior. Which is especially funny when it comes from a fan of another F2P game known as Dwarf Fortress.

No, this is wrong.  Dwarf Fortress isn't free to play.  Free to play is a business model.  Dwarf fortress is just free.  Its two entirely separate things.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:23:08 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2012, 12:25:59 pm »

Whats wrong with F2P?

Yeah ditto what Levi said. Dwarf fortress isn't F2P and traditionally F2P is a customer-hostile buisness model aimed at designing the game around forcing people to spend money rahter than being fun. Obviously not every F2P game is like this, but even the better ones still stuffer from this to a degree, which is why many many people have good reason to be wary of it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2012, 12:27:56 pm »

No, this is wrong.  Dwarf Fortress isn't free to play.  Free to play is a business model.  Dwarf fortress is just free.  Its two entirely separate things.

I agree and disagree with this. Toady has a business model, donations-based. While he does what he does solely out of his desire to develop his own game, without donations he would have had to get a job a long, long time ago. What he does is effectively a business model, even though he doesn't present it in those terms.

On the other hand, F2P is most definitely a business model first.

Just repeat after me: there is no such thing as a free lunch. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 12:31:09 pm »

Just repeat after me: there is no such thing as a free lunch. There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Technically there is, if you're extremely shortsighted. Like, shortsighted enough to forget that you'd bought bread yesterday when you're making lunch and find free bread on the table. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:37 pm »

Yeah, F2P specifically means microtransaction or otherwise non-required-payment based game in which paying money gets you something. The problem is, to make a good F2P game is a balance between trying to get people to pay you while simultaneously trying to avoid screwing those who don't. Turns out that balance is really, really hard; particularly with the company bean counters leaning on the devs to raise profit margins and such.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 12:36:52 pm »

But they don't have bean counters yet.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2012, 12:38:20 pm »

But they don't have bean counters yet.

Its true that F2P games are usually the best during the beta testing.  :)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2012, 12:39:20 pm »

It says in the readme that this is a part-time thing anyway.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2012, 12:42:43 pm »

F2P is a customer-hostile buisness model aimed at designing the game around forcing people to spend money rahter than being fun.

What the frack are you talking about? How can a game force you to do anything? I think it's a much more customer-friendly business model than the traditional one, since you can try the game for free and you know what you're getting into and what you're paying for if you decide to pay anything at all. And in order to make you want to spend money, the game has to be designed to be fun in the first place. Apart from just giving the game away I can't think of a more customer-friendly model.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »

What's going on here? Four pages of whining about what voxels are and how bad free to play is, and no discussion about the actual game?

Come on Bay 12, you're better than this.

As soon as I get home, I'm going to try this out- it looks amazing and frankly I think it's a great way to evolve the Minecraft clone model into a new genera.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:29 pm »

F2P is a customer-hostile buisness model aimed at designing the game around forcing people to spend money rahter than being fun.

What the frack are you talking about? How can a game force you to do anything? I think it's a much more customer-friendly business model than the traditional one, since you can try the game for free and you know what you're getting into and what you're paying for if you decide to pay anything at all. And in order to make you want to spend money, the game has to be designed to be fun in the first place. Apart from just giving the game away I can't think of a more customer-friendly model.
The people who hate free to play games are the people who cannot keep themselves from buying things, or the people who can't afford the things but still want them.

I play F2P games all the time. I enjoy them without spending a dime on them. If they become no longer fun, I stop playing them and delete them. Its not really difficult, or something worth getting upset over. Heck, I haven't even opened the Tribes: Ascend store tab. That game will let you buy weapons, skins, etc. Doesn't matter though, because I can do amazing things with a turret and an SMG.

As soon as I get home, I'm going to try this out- it looks amazing and frankly I think it's a great way to evolve the Minecraft clone model into a new genera.
It looks nothing like a minecraft clone right now, actually. It looks like a fancy-featured tower defense game with free building. That said, the potential they show with the engine is excellent, and I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Also the visuals look amazing.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »

The people who hate free to play games are the people who cannot keep themselves from buying things, or the people who can't afford the things but still want them.

I hate F2P and I've never spent a cent on one.  I just prefer to buy games that are actually designed to be fun instead of designed to be constantly encouraging me to spend money by putting artificial barriers into my game.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12