Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: StarForge, Anyone tried it?  (Read 45188 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarForge, Anyone tried it?
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »

Exactly, and the reason I suspect Neon doesn't want to discuss it is because we've all been over the "Terraria is done/Terraria is not done" argument a million times, and I'm sure you guys are aware of that. Neon is right, he (and the rest of us) shouldn't bring it up again.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »

This game looks epic.  Will download if I can.

To the forumites:  Stop the terraria derail.  This game is far more deserving of our attention in this thread.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2012, 11:08:00 pm »

my god, this is all my hopes and dreams
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2012, 11:29:35 pm »

Played some of it, so far its more of a technical demo than anything else, you start in a very limited world and can try some of the more basic functions building and placing some turrets, then you press a button and get monster swarm. The map is kind of small and the movement and gravity feel funny as if you were in the earth but you could feel the earth rotating. I tried it for arround 10 minutes so i dont have much to say, it worked flawlessly for me so i dont know about the loading bugs or anykind of error.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2012, 09:36:27 am »

Update: The game has deserted their Free2Play model to adopt the "Minecraft Method" of having the game available to purchase throughout all of the development process but having it cheaper in the early builds.

The game also has an IndieGoGo campaign to try and raise funding. It has one of the best trailers I've seen for a kickstarter project.  :)

http://www.indiegogo.com/starforge

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2012, 01:21:43 pm »

Judging by the description of the Indiegogo and the video...

*throws money at my monitor* TAKE MY MONEY! TAKE IT ALL!

It actually sort of reminds me of Shores of Hazeron quite a bit (which I was VERY addicted to for a solid two weeks. Up until I got in "limbo" and then instead of fixing my account, they accidentally deleted it and told me to remake...)...but looks a lot better graphically (animations look horrid though, but early alpha is early alpha) and the features and building look a lot better and more fun, and has a singleplayer option. And if the dynamic part of the game is good, that is a big improvement over previous games that are similar.

What I've wanted ever since Spore came out:

Be able to explore the vastness of space, and go to each planet/moon and build upon it. But not so horrendously dumbed down. RPG elements. RTS elements. Have a multiplayer option (but singleplayer too.)...and...done well. Hazeron was really really close, but it wasn't quite there. And only reason I am bringing Hazeron up so much, was well...StarForge reminds me quite a bit of it. But I like the features/building more of StarForge (from what I've seen). Hazeron was REALLY grindy. But I dunno how StarForge will be, it might be grindy too...I dunno.

Well, hopefully StarForge turns out to be a good game. I'll be throwing in my 15 dollars this month. It is already going to be funded, 22 days and is already VERY close to their mark.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

SirHoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2012, 03:23:34 pm »

Well, I got my Alpha access from the IndieGogo campaign and gave it a quick 5 minute test yesterday.  The trailers have a lot more happening in them than I see currently existing in the downloadable game.

• I did a couple test starts using the procedural world generation and each time ended up surrounded by bare dirt plains honeycombed with caves.
  • The in-game item crafting consists of 2 items, Gun or Louder gun with recoil.  There are building blocks and turrets available.
  • From glancing at the forums, digging and harvesting trees is disabled in the current builds. 
  • There is no resource collection, but building is possible since you have limitless blocks available via your crafting inventory.
  • Turrets are in the crafting menu, but none of the vehicles shown in the trailer.  Turrets don't appear to use the power sources shown in the trailers (and the power sources aren't in the craft menus)
  • I had a hard time building, single clicking with a stack of blocks active would place a block, shift clicking and dragging the cursor about would approximate the building styles demonstrated, but once I moved a bit, I could see a stream of randomly placed blocks trailing out from behind my constructed building. 
  • Never did figure out how to delete/destroy blocks (the 'E' button would toggle my build cursor to red, but otherwise would do nothing) or access the stress analysis displayed in the trailer.
  • As far as I can find out, the promise of going off into space with other planets and etc. is just future feature "Wouldn't it be cool".  the existing game is a planet and endless height elevation where you go up past the clouds into increasingly higher "space", asteroids randomly happen, but no other planets, space travel etc. (no actual personal knowledge, just what I pulled off their forums).
  • The only instructions are found in the 2 initial hint screens, so be sure to look at them both (I didn't bother at first and spent a bit of time randomly clicking).
  • Jittery ragdolls, standing still my toon looks like he's doing the "gotta pee" dance at hummingbird speeds, I find it a touch distracting.  In general, the physics just don't feel quite right.
  • Don't like the oddly angled over shoulder 3rd person camera, couldn't figure out how to change it.  Toon appears to have a perpetual list to the right, running makes me feel like I'm dizzy and heading off at an angle towards the nearest wall.
  • Just nit-picking, and I'm sure it's just an artifact of alpha un-polishedness...  Menus don't capture the the mouse actions from the player controller, so if you have a gun equipped and go to craft, say, a pile of stone blocks.  Your toon will be busy waving his gun around and randomly spraying the area with bullets every time you click the craft button.  I almost hope they keep it as a feature for multi-player !Fun!.
  • No saving implemented, which is probably the lacking feature I'm most worried about.  We'll see what happens as they build on their procedural world generation.  I could see this ballooning out of hand rapidly.

So basically, Unity based game in relatively early alpha..  I'm disappointed in the disconnect between what I saw in the trailer vs. what I can play with right now, but I'm willing to wait and see how it all comes together.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 08, 2012, 06:44:52 pm »

Well, guess early alpha is alpha. Maybe they used features in the video that will be put in later. The biggest thing for me would be if they don't ever put in space exploration...but a lot can change between now and just even beta.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 08, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »

I'm watching these videos and I already know my computer would melt trying to run this. But it looks nice. I like it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25:58 pm »

So, has this actually gotten any further? I tried it during its freebie state and it didn't work at all on here.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »

I just cant wait to go on asteroid and mine it manually just for the sake of it. Also they said somewhere and there will be space vehicules, i dont remember when or where.

There is already asteroid in the close *should i say orbit here?*. If you really want to you could make a giant staircase to space, if you have a few hour to lay it out hehe.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2012, 04:44:43 pm »

They added "goals" to their indiegogo page. Lots of them sound like they would be really good, only one I don't like as much (and that is just because I prefer ranged) is the melee one. All the others (to me) sound awesome though.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2012, 12:05:40 pm »

They hit their main goal of 75k. And I also donated last night, not much (since I'm dirt poor)...but it was something. Now to hopefully see some of their goals hit :D

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2012, 04:44:35 pm »

So, has this actually gotten any further? I tried it during its freebie state and it didn't work at all on here.

I never played the first. And the video on Indiegogo is what they will (according to the devs) will be like after the Indiegogo is over. They will be implementing multiplayer (but that might come later), vehicles (as seen in the video) and a bunch of other stuff.

Right now, the only game is more of a test version with the bare basics...their next release "should" be like what is seen in the video.

I'm just looking forward to space exploration, and hoping they reach 125k for that dynamic ecosystem. I'm not sure what that will be, but it sounds good...

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2012, 02:38:04 pm »

StarForge hit 100k! That means liquid and lava...which the way they are going to do it, you can flood an area out and it will be dynamic. A bit like Minecraft, but water/lava will actually drain away. So more like Terraria in a way.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12