Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mysterious Cat Murders  (Read 8323 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Mysterious Cat Murders
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:10:42 pm »

Okay, I've been noticing a large number of my cats have been disappearing and reappearing, dead. They are all found, and very often have bled to death. One by my fortress entrance had its bloold literally everywhere, a red streak of catblood that stretched all the way into my fortress. Others have been found in the dining room, and even down near the candy mining area. I dont see any combat reports, and There arent any animals that could be doing this. Whats Up? Anyone Know? is there some sort of Cat murderer or something? Actually, now that I look at it, It appears that there are 2 cats  with blood trailing into my fort, and the one blood trail ends at the other.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 06:49:26 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Cat Murders
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 11:17:12 pm »

Explosive headbump.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:21:44 pm »

This looks like a job for FollowCam.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:24:39 pm »

Firstly, this is awesome.
Secondly: Does the blood ever begin near stairs? There's an interesting bug where if an item is dropped on stairs under the right circumstances it falls down and impacts anything below, which could easily cause severe injuries or death. Only problem is from what I'm aware it SHOULD show up in the log. Do minecart impacts show up in the combat log? Not used them yet myself.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:28:19 pm »

Secondly: Does the blood ever begin near stairs? There's an interesting bug where if an item is dropped on stairs under the right circumstances it falls down and impacts anything below, which could easily cause severe injuries or death. Only problem is from what I'm aware it SHOULD show up in the log. Do minecart impacts show up in the combat log? Not used them yet myself.

One flaw, why would he have minetracks in his dining hall?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 12:15:31 am »

Could it possibly be a syndrome?--Are puppies, turkeys, and similar small animals affected too?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 12:40:58 am »

I couldn't help but laugh, but in all seriousness:

I would suggest extreme temperatures resulting in melting of fat and subsequent bleeding to death, but that wouldn't explain the mutilations. I also don't know of a syndrome function that would permit an animal to suddenly become mutilated without associated combat logs, like werebeast transformations (that also provoke an announcemen.)

But no other animals or dwarves are being affected, huh? If you're sure it's just cats, then this is definitely a job for the follow-cam feature. Follow a cat until it dies horribly. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:46:34 am »

And upload a save.  :)
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 12:50:08 am »

literally torn apart, or just bleeding all over the place?

bleeding all over the place very likely means a syndrome is killing them, due to their inability to wear socks and shoes. literally torn apart, well, while that would certainly be an interesting syndrome, i don't imagine those exist...

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 12:51:13 am »

Not yet anyways...  ;)
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 12:56:56 am »

Why WOULDN'T you have minetracks in the dining hall =P

On a serious note though, I only read they were FOUND in there so assumed they could perhaps have survived whatever did it and walked in afterwards to die as it mentions trails of blood. I'm with everyone else here, never heard of a syndrome that only affects cats. Any other animals affected? leave some dwarves with no socks walking around maybe to test it (make use of those children)?
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 01:19:46 am »

Well, I dont know about other animals, I havent been getting random death reports, and If I have, I assume no more then usual. There WAS a forgotten beast who might have had something to do with it, but his dusts exposure to the fort was overall minimal. hmm, I'll see if the 2 guys who did it died or are dying painfully.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 04:50:06 am »

Simple.

You have a cat vampire on the loose. It is feeding on its kin.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 05:09:05 am »

Any combat (r)eports? That would probably shed some light on the situation.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 06:09:49 am »

Why WOULDN'T you have minetracks in the dining hall =P

This. I have an entire stockpiling system set up to drop several tonnes of food and booze on peoples heads as their admiring the furnature.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:28:19 am by daveralph1234 »
Pages: [1] 2 3