Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 63118 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Bug-free code Edition.
« Reply #300 on: December 12, 2020, 12:16:14 am »

it may be because i didn't research or set expectations for this game but im having some fun with it and has pretty decent graphics. guns dont do a lot of damage but a few shots are usually enough to put down most common enemies. i should note im also doing a heavy combat/stealth build focused on sneaking and shooting with very little hacking or tech knowhow because i figured it fit better with my characters background.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i have to agree a bit with sensei, its very much a child of like, 5 different settings. none of these parent themes are in depth rpgs, i sense some witcher, deus ex (the newer ones), farcry, blade runner and a taste of judge dredd? theres something in the background there.

edit: added more to my spoiler story
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:17:18 am by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Seizure Warning Edition
« Reply #301 on: December 12, 2020, 12:18:41 am »

They didn't even bother to load the soundtrack with synthwave, it's mostly contemporary generic rap and rock. They completely missed that the 'punk' component ties directly into punk values -- nonconformity, anti-system ideals, &c. Instead they interpreted it as "everyone conforms to the same shallow, capitalist pop-punk standard with the same ten """rebellious""" hair styles dyed in the same six shades of neon.

Kind of kneecaps the point you're trying to make when you wish it instead had superficial 80s faux-nostalgia shit made by people who weren't alive in the 80s.

Well, one of the most iconic cyberpunk movies was made in the ‘80s with a Vangelis soundtrack. It may be derivative, but they aren’t exactly breaking new ground with this. Cyberpunk is as much about atmosphere as it is pessimistic dystopia and hacking shit.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 12, 2020, 03:52:02 am »

the question i get when reading the last 5 pages is: what does it take for some to actually like a game?

in any case, all tree of you that hate the game: i think you made your point.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2020, 04:33:07 am »

I'm just watching a full playtrought because right now I've no leftovers money to sink in this, but I think a lot of churn comes from people that aren't aware of options and are playing this solely as a shooter without understanding how far the rpg element can make weapons and appropriate hacks more effective if doing a proper build.

but I agree fluff wise that this has very little cyberpunk elements beyond one own augmentations.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Seizure Warning Edition
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2020, 09:09:30 am »

They didn't even bother to load the soundtrack with synthwave, it's mostly contemporary generic rap and rock. They completely missed that the 'punk' component ties directly into punk values -- nonconformity, anti-system ideals, &c. Instead they interpreted it as "everyone conforms to the same shallow, capitalist pop-punk standard with the same ten """rebellious""" hair styles dyed in the same six shades of neon.

Kind of kneecaps the point you're trying to make when you wish it instead had superficial 80s faux-nostalgia shit made by people who weren't alive in the 80s.

Holy shit you're so ignorant on this point you don't even know how wrong you are. The entire point of synthwave is to replicate the aesthetic of 1980s-era horror and SF film soundtracks. That's the foundational theme of the genre. It specifically exists to create the same atmosphere of crushing despair and social degradation in an increasingly technological world that was everywhere in media and counter-culture music of the decade.

Also displaying your ignorance on another point. Pretty much every notable synthwave artist that has publicly available information was born in the late 70s to very early 90s and grew up immersed in the culture of the 80s or its immediate aftermath. Suggesting that they know nothing about the 80s, weren't alive in the 80s, and didn't have their music heavily influenced by the 80s is as braindead as suggesting that all the future punks who were born in the 60s and 70s weren't alive for the transformation of rock from the music of revolution to the music of capitalist decadence and that that didn't have any influence on their own development as musicians.

I mean good fucking god, go back and listen to the Blade Runner soundtrack, peak 80s and peak cyberpunk, and try to lie hard enough to tell me that you don't see exactly what synthwave was born from.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2020, 09:30:39 am »

I think they meant the devs weren’t around in the ‘80s, but I also wasn’t expecting the game to be quite so divisive on so many fronts, so what do I know.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 12, 2020, 09:44:50 am »

Actually, I'd like to (at the risk of being the contrarian) say that my windows 10 install blows up constantly and it's usually a driver problem. I'm 100% certain that my hardware itself is fine.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 12, 2020, 10:18:11 am »

Well i cant play in a while (mostly private reasons but due to a loved one, signs of improvement but critical still)

But apparently cyberpunk 2077 activates free windows (10). Or gets the dumb popup removed. Thought it was a reddit troll, but my friend confirmed it and saw it for myself. He was streaming his desktop so i can watch him play and i dunno if his os is uh...free...or mighty seas yohoho...

but the game crashed his pc so hard that the activate windows message for over a day now (pc shutdowns/restarts inbetween) seems permanetly gone. Windows even updated on him and still hasnt shown up

For him it makes cyberpunk the best game he ever played cause now he doesnt have the annoying activate windows anymore

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2020, 12:47:16 pm »

I'm one of the lucky ones that has had no crashes or frame drops, crowds are bustling, traffic is heavy, and overall everything runs pretty smooth. Some detail issues are pops when audio starts or finishes, and for some reason all the advertisment boards look pretty low res, and sometimes items have a wonky hitbox so they are hard to pick up.

Gun play is adequate. My build favours crit focused revolvers and pistols and can easily take the head off most enemies. Tech sniper rifles need a serious balance pass though, because you can literally shoot a bad guy when there is an entire building between you and them. Melee is entirely viable, and i think a melee build would benefit more from the quickhacks you can dish out during combat as well as out-damaging a rat-at-at gun build.

The leveling system and equipment progression is mostly based on increasing damage or timers, but there are a few abilities amongst the skill tree and particular abilities are tied to certain implants that need a minimum stat level. There are speech checks that depend on core stats as well as background, but so far i'm unclear on any branching results from speech options.

Overall, i'm happy with the game, and NC is an intersting place to wander around. The music is not to my taste though.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 12, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »

I think they meant the devs weren’t around in the ‘80s, but I also wasn’t expecting the game to be quite so divisive on so many fronts, so what do I know.

Pretty sure they meant synthwave, they talked about this a bit earlier:
Mildly surprising though, a recent interview with the composers revealed that the soundtrack includes no synthwave.  A lot of people are upset by this, but not me.  In what should be a surprise to no one, people 56 years in the future aren't still listening to cheap 80s nostalgia made by people born in the mid-90s.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 12, 2020, 01:29:15 pm »

Gun play is adequate.
i generally like the game, but combat i think is its weakest point. the level of bullet sponginess is rediculous. it it takes 10 headshots to kill anyone and the balance is crap too. a weak enemy has some 1000-1500 hitpoints. im midgame and i ivested a lot in hp, i got some 250.

its the whole thing how damage scales that i think makes for total crap gunplay. like, it gets really absurd if one accidently picks a quest to early where enemies literarely become impervioius to weapon fire. like right now i seem to have wondered to far, a sneaky headshot to a human here did about 1% damge.
compounding on this is the issue that thre is very little feedback. whenever i take a job from a phone call or from the map, i have no idea if i actually can do it on my level and with my gear.

this then leaves sneak grapple takedowns as the one reliable way to do combat. and i am OH SO BORED of sneaky assasination games where it just means to reload when i fail to maintain stealth.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 01:34:39 pm by motorbitch »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 12, 2020, 02:46:46 pm »

Pistols seems to be the way to break the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyr6A-onE18

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 12, 2020, 02:51:29 pm »

Just like Alpha Protocol, then! :D

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 12, 2020, 03:25:03 pm »

Just like Alpha Protocol, then! :D

I am saddened that will be the only game in that series. The gameplay itself wasn’t spectacular, but even the very limited conversation system they had was really an interesting way to influence how the characters reacted to you throughout the game.

I fondly remember Conrad refusing to follow orders at the end ‘cause he liked me more than his boss, though I’ve never been able to replicate that so maybe I’m making it up.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 12, 2020, 03:43:59 pm »

Well i cant play in a while (mostly private reasons but due to a loved one, signs of improvement but critical still)

But apparently cyberpunk 2077 activates free windows (10). Or gets the dumb popup removed. Thought it was a reddit troll, but my friend confirmed it and saw it for myself. He was streaming his desktop so i can watch him play and i dunno if his os is uh...free...or mighty seas yohoho...

but the game crashed his pc so hard that the activate windows message for over a day now (pc shutdowns/restarts inbetween) seems permanetly gone. Windows even updated on him and still hasnt shown up

For him it makes cyberpunk the best game he ever played cause now he doesnt have the annoying activate windows anymore

huh! maybe i should try buying cp2077, playing a bit, then returning it, just to get my windows 10 activated... hmmm....

(i refuse to buy another w10 copy simply because my old w7 broke for some dumb reason so the free upgrade never worked)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 42