Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 63140 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Seizure Warning Edition
« Reply #285 on: December 11, 2020, 06:18:28 pm »

There's even more fun come to light thanks to some insightful person.

The reason that traffic gets stuck in a line behind you forever if you stop your car in traffic, the reason NPCs will run you over without any pause before or after, the reason cops always spawn behind you instead of driving around the city to get to you, the reason that you never get into car chases outside of prescripted events? It's because they have no driving AI, it's all just cars spawning onto pre-defined sets of tracks and following them until they despawn!
That sounds like a great way to save on memory, and not such a great way to make the world more immersive.

It's also a very weird place to cut corners, if that was the intent; I warrant the average player will disrupt traffic at least once, if not many times, while playing an open world game set in a city that's chock-full of vehicles being driven around...

There's no excuse for it either which way. Rockstar, despite their many faults, managed to do pretty decent driving AI seven years ago in a game with better graphics running on a much larger map which still managed to perform better than this. Hell, I think GTA V had more buildings you could enter too.

It honestly feels like they fired all of their staff and hired on the team that did ME: Andromeda to build the game in the past eight months.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Bug-free code Edition.
« Reply #286 on: December 11, 2020, 06:34:44 pm »

They're just out of their comfort zone.

-Never done a shooting game before.
-Never done a game with mass amounts of vehicles before (can you count the # of mounted riders you ever saw at the same time in Witcher 3?)
-Never done a city as the entire playable environment.
-Never had a fully physics modeled winky.
-Never used this amount of dynamic first person action camera work.

I expected shortcomings, bugs. What I didn't expect was just flat out repeated crashing at random places in and out of the playable game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 11, 2020, 06:56:57 pm »

They're just out of their comfort zone.

-Never done a shooting game before.
-Never done a game with mass amounts of vehicles before (can you count the # of mounted riders you ever saw at the same time in Witcher 3?)
-Never done a city as the entire playable environment.
-Never had a fully physics modeled winky.
-Never used this amount of dynamic first person action camera work.

I expected shortcomings, bugs. What I didn't expect was just flat out repeated crashing at random places in and out of the playable game.

Yeah, this right here. This somewhat lackluster release sort of proves that excellent game development is not always transferable between projects, even within the same 'genre' as the RPG. As nenjin has pointed out, the Witcher series contained very few of the gameplay mechanics that are expected from a top-budget modern city roaming RPG / shooter. The worldbuilding relied more on storytelling and setpieces, and less on the sort of physical interactions that are expected of the city-RPG genre. I'm certain the teams involved in this production experienced the most terrible, soul-shredding feeling when they saw just how un..ready the game was, and the knowledge that nothing they could do in these last few months would stop the disaster at hand.

... who's ready for some DLC??

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 11, 2020, 06:58:17 pm »

New patch up on steam. 1.4 GB *and* it's one of those "download then grind your hard drive for an hour patching" type patches. I have an SSD, and it still took so long I probably could have redownloaded the game faster.

Anyway, I'm still missing the fullscreen option but so far it has not crashed. Steam overlay is still not working so I can't get my FPS, but it feels roughly the same, I'd guess maybe 40 -50 or so? Hard to say, it does not feel smooth and I still haven't gotten outside into the city (which is apparently where the performance gets worse).

Actual graphics still look like ass on low. Even with all the post-processing turned off it just looks like blurry mush. Part of it might just be that I'm running at 1080 I guess, but most games look a lot more crisp.

Turned the graphics up to ultra for laughs and to check if that crashes.... and shockingly it actually feels like it runs better, I'd say it's even playable though still not super smooth. Turning off post processing (which was enabled by default on ultra) and it even looks halfway decent.

Don't have time to play much right now so I dunno if it will hold up later but so far it seems to have mostly fixed my technical problems.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 07:00:03 pm by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 11, 2020, 07:29:32 pm »

The biggest bit of spit in our faces is honestly that it's not even an RPG. Witcher wasn't either, just an overhyped series of action games, but they at least had the excuse there of it being based on a property with a protagonist.

2077 is based on a TTRPG but it only allows you to play a single character with minimal choices re: appearance and none whatsoever re: attitude, manner of speech, outlook on life, treatment of friends vs. business associates vs. enemies, &c.

I'm honestly sick to fucking death of devs getting away with calling games RPGs because they have a skill tree with twenty variations on +10% to nose picking.

3. Run Resize Enable

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2020, 07:56:46 pm »

New patch up on steam. 1.4 GB *and* it's one of those "download then grind your hard drive for an hour patching" type patches. I have an SSD, and it still took so long I probably could have redownloaded the game faster.
was 585mb on gog and i did not even noticed that it got applied during gaming.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2020, 08:14:40 pm »

The biggest bit of spit in our faces is honestly that it's not even an RPG. Witcher wasn't either, just an overhyped series of action games, but they at least had the excuse there of it being based on a property with a protagonist.

2077 is based on a TTRPG but it only allows you to play a single character with minimal choices re: appearance and none whatsoever re: attitude, manner of speech, outlook on life, treatment of friends vs. business associates vs. enemies, &c.

I'm honestly sick to fucking death of devs getting away with calling games RPGs because they have a skill tree with twenty variations on +10% to nose picking.

CDPR did 9/11
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 11, 2020, 08:42:44 pm »

Aw shit Mass Effect isn't an RPG either. Neither is Planescape: Torment.

Really though I don't know where this super bitter attitude is coming from. Aside from tech problems the game's been intriguing so far, for me (but I'm still in the first act). I still haven't had a side quest that asked me to make a choice, and I'll be disappointed if there aren't some of those, but then a lot of the Witcher side quests were relatively straightforward too. At least some of the side quests I've done have had funny or interesting characters ala GTA or something, rather than being just "kill the guys in this warehouse". It's been fun so far and the main story quests have had some dynamic stuff. I'm also getting the hang of combat a little more. I'm playing on hard and enemies pack enough of a punch that I feel like I have to be careful. I'm planning to spec into hacking a little more, I like blinding dudes in the middle of combat.

I DO understand people who are mad their game is crashing. Fortunately I haven't had a second crash today. The latest patch promises to help, but who knows I guess. It does seem to be affecting specific hardware so it might be a while until they track down the last of it, but all the crash reports pouring in probably help.

I guess it remains to be seen if the game gets repetitive for me, but I'm early in the story and the skill tree after playing all day, so I would be surprised if I didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of it. So far, for me personally, it's about what I expected out of "Witcher meets Deus Ex" and I've encountered less bugs than a vanilla Morrowind playthrough (oh yeah, I played that for the first time with a disc box set, not knowing a thing about community bugfix mods) so I'm pretty happy.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 11, 2020, 08:43:21 pm »

CDPR did 9/11

Eurojank can’t melt render steel beams.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 11, 2020, 08:48:05 pm »

Aw shit Mass Effect isn't an RPG either. Neither is Planescape: Torment.

Really though I don't know where this super bitter attitude is coming from. Aside from tech problems the game's been intriguing so far, for me (but I'm still in the first act). I still haven't had a side quest that asked me to make a choice, and I'll be disappointed if there aren't some of those, but then a lot of the Witcher side quests were relatively straightforward too. At least some of the side quests I've done have had funny or interesting characters ala GTA or something, rather than being just "kill the guys in this warehouse". It's been fun so far and the main story quests have had some dynamic stuff. I'm also getting the hang of combat a little more. I'm playing on hard and enemies pack enough of a punch that I feel like I have to be careful. I'm planning to spec into hacking a little more, I like blinding dudes in the middle of combat.

I DO understand people who are mad their game is crashing. Fortunately I haven't had a second crash today. The latest patch promises to help, but who knows I guess. It does seem to be affecting specific hardware so it might be a while until they track down the last of it, but all the crash reports pouring in probably help.

I guess it remains to be seen if the game gets repetitive for me, but I'm early in the story and the skill tree after playing all day, so I would be surprised if I didn't get a lot of enjoyment out of it. So far, for me personally, it's about what I expected out of "Witcher meets Deus Ex" and I've encountered less bugs than a vanilla Morrowind playthrough (oh yeah, I played that for the first time with a disc box set, not knowing a thing about community bugfix mods) so I'm pretty happy.

There are some with choices.  There's gigs, which are simple and pop up when you get near one, and there's jobs, which fixers will call you for and are more complicated.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 11, 2020, 08:50:38 pm »

Well, I spoke to soon.

After playing a bit more, it crashes less often... but it still does crash too much to be really enjoyable. Furthermore one of the crashes locked up my whole computer (so much for that being impossible) which has never happened before. So I guess it's sort of better but also sort of worse.

The performance does seem better at least, when it's not crashing it's tolerable even on ultra settings which is kind of surprising.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 11, 2020, 09:00:00 pm »

I met keanu, he's a real dick.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 11, 2020, 11:28:10 pm »

I'm not a fan of the early game.
Hands are extremely unsteady when holding guns, enemies are all running around in pitch black darkness, none of the guns have scopes or even remotely precise sights, and every gun has a wide cone of fire so that even when I manage to aim precisely at the enemy half of my shots miss.
Of course all of this is intended to give room for growth. I can work towards finding more accurate guns and scopes, and save up money to enhance my eyes and hands. But it's just a lot of artificial handicap right at the start of the game that makes for extremely unsatisfying gunplay.

Hasn't it been standard for like a decade that inaccurate guns are "fixed" by allowing you to aim for a few seconds for better accuracy? Gives you the choice of normal speed and innaccurate or slow and mostly-accurate early game, and fast and semi-accurate or normal speed and super accurate late game.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2020, 11:51:27 pm »

Really though I don't know where this super bitter attitude is coming from.
Because they pulled every Bethesda card in the deck. Lies about scope. Lies about AI. Lies about depth and complexity. Lies about player choice. Lies about minimum and required specs, and about performance for console players. Dialogue system that allows you to take one tone of voice and one path of conversation. Bugs and jank around every corner. Incredibly shallow mechanical-side RPG elements despite being billed as a complex RPG. Even shallower RP-side RPG elements despite being billed as a complex RPG driven by player choice. Very apparent lack of playtesting, i.e. the "consumers are unpaid playtesters for a full-price nominally complete release that we might fix six months down the line". That's one side of it.

Another side of it is that they just paid lip service to the cyberpunk aesthetic. It's pretty clear that whoever was in charge of this portion of development doesn't get cyberpunk at all beyond the most superficial visual elements. They didn't even bother to load the soundtrack with synthwave, it's mostly contemporary generic rap and rock. They completely missed that the 'punk' component ties directly into punk values -- nonconformity, anti-system ideals, &c. Instead they interpreted it as "everyone conforms to the same shallow, capitalist pop-punk standard with the same ten """rebellious""" hair styles dyed in the same six shades of neon. Like holy fuck, the hairstyles are even gender-locked. Ask literally any punk who was around in the '80s scene and they probably have a nasty story or ten about some douchenozzles tossing bottles at them from a moving vehicle while screaming "faggot" or "dyke" because they were a man with long hair or a woman with close-cropped hair. Yeah, sure, there are a couple hairstyles that fit the opposite gender's stereotypes, but why the hell are they not just one big pool to begin with? Honestly that just gets further in to how shallow the character creation is. You don't even get to chose a body type. Your only character creation choices are which parts of your head are shaved and whether your voice is masculine or feminine, beyond that your character is functionally hardlocked.

Basically what I'm saying is that even aside from all the bugs, jank, and general lack of polish the game is just horribly shallow and dull. Normally when I buy a new game I go hard on it for a week or two until I burn out. 25+ hours of playtime in the first ~5 days. 2077 was boring enough that after two hours I realized that I was paying more attention to playing Pokemon during cutscenes than I was to the game itself and cut out the middleman.

If you want my tl;dr it's that if you want a good cyberpunk video game, get one of the HBS Shadowrun RPGs. Hell, get Underrail, it's post-apoc themed and still gets closer to feeling like cyberpunk than this (and is also an actually good RPG on top of that).

I'm not a fan of the early game.
Hands are extremely unsteady when holding guns, enemies are all running around in pitch black darkness, none of the guns have scopes or even remotely precise sights, and every gun has a wide cone of fire so that even when I manage to aim precisely at the enemy half of my shots miss.
Of course all of this is intended to give room for growth. I can work towards finding more accurate guns and scopes, and save up money to enhance my eyes and hands. But it's just a lot of artificial handicap right at the start of the game that makes for extremely unsatisfying gunplay.

Hasn't it been standard for like a decade that inaccurate guns are "fixed" by allowing you to aim for a few seconds for better accuracy? Gives you the choice of normal speed and innaccurate or slow and mostly-accurate early game, and fast and semi-accurate or normal speed and super accurate late game.

The problem is that every gun is a pain in the ass to aim thanks to the forced always-on mouse acceleration, and the gunplay itself is dull because of the lack of feedback and bulletsponge enemies. I'm convinced the only reason this isn't getting talked about more is because most of the people who bought it don't play shooters at all outside of action RPGs with guns. Same crowd who think that FO3/NV have acceptable gunplay (except that even those didn't force you to play with mouse acceleration).

Dunno. Maybe it's my fault for playing PvP shooters + Warframe and being used to precise, snappy controls and guns that feel like guns.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 11:57:43 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2020, 12:07:38 am »

They didn't even bother to load the soundtrack with synthwave, it's mostly contemporary generic rap and rock. They completely missed that the 'punk' component ties directly into punk values -- nonconformity, anti-system ideals, &c. Instead they interpreted it as "everyone conforms to the same shallow, capitalist pop-punk standard with the same ten """rebellious""" hair styles dyed in the same six shades of neon.

Kind of kneecaps the point you're trying to make when you wish it instead had superficial 80s faux-nostalgia shit made by people who weren't alive in the 80s.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 42