Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 63141 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Seizure Warning Edition
« Reply #270 on: December 11, 2020, 03:36:47 pm »

It's clear the game is quite buggy from the general feedback and the reviews I've seen. I haven't played it myself, but the comments about bugs are basically ubiquitous.

As far as the whole, "It's not the game's fault thing," it's pretty common around new titles. Everyone who bought the shiny new game on launch for full price wants to believe they backed the right horse, so they're more likely to defend the game than they are to agree with anyone criticizing it. There's also the fact that if they've had any fun at all during their honeymoon period with the game, they want to defend the fun they had, even if the game might end up disappointing them in the long term. It's extremely frustrating, but it's also human nature.

Case in point: a friend of mine who generally dislikes both first person shooters and narrative-focused games bought Cyberpunk (probably while riding the wave of hype) and he is now defending it religiously when he hasn't even completed the prologue. It's all rather silly, and peeves me more than a little.

Edit - Correction; he has completed the prologue. The activity feed was just lying to me. It was still a bit eerie how unwilling he was to agree with any criticism directed at the game, though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:38:03 pm by Nighthawk »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 11, 2020, 03:41:03 pm »

I'm not a fan of the early game.
Hands are extremely unsteady when holding guns, enemies are all running around in pitch black darkness, none of the guns have scopes or even remotely precise sights, and every gun has a wide cone of fire so that even when I manage to aim precisely at the enemy half of my shots miss.
Of course all of this is intended to give room for growth. I can work towards finding more accurate guns and scopes, and save up money to enhance my eyes and hands. But it's just a lot of artificial handicap right at the start of the game that makes for extremely unsatisfying gunplay.

Also, stealth gameplay is garbage. I don't get prompts to execute stealth attacks until I'm literally rubbing up against my target's back, and even then pressing the prompt does nothing half of the time.

But my biggest gripe, as someone who absolutely cannot pass up a shiny in any game I play, half of the time when I see a bit of loot on the ground I find that I'm unable to get a prompt to pick it up no matter which angle I approach it from. It's literally painful having to walk away and leave precious loot on the floor.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 11, 2020, 04:27:28 pm »

I'm not a fan of the early game.
Hands are extremely unsteady when holding guns, enemies are all running around in pitch black darkness, none of the guns have scopes or even remotely precise sights, and every gun has a wide cone of fire so that even when I manage to aim precisely at the enemy half of my shots miss.
Of course all of this is intended to give room for growth. I can work towards finding more accurate guns and scopes, and save up money to enhance my eyes and hands. But it's just a lot of artificial handicap right at the start of the game that makes for extremely unsatisfying gunplay.

Also, stealth gameplay is garbage. I don't get prompts to execute stealth attacks until I'm literally rubbing up against my target's back, and even then pressing the prompt does nothing half of the time.

But my biggest gripe, as someone who absolutely cannot pass up a shiny in any game I play, half of the time when I see a bit of loot on the ground I find that I'm unable to get a prompt to pick it up no matter which angle I approach it from. It's literally painful having to walk away and leave precious loot on the floor.

Yeah but have you considered that the game isn't broken and that you're just playing it wrong? /s

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 11, 2020, 04:31:28 pm »

All the bugs are features to immerse you in cyberspace and hacking. If you can't fix them yourself you are not a worthy console cowboy.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 11, 2020, 04:54:24 pm »

Because no game has ever caused a stable system to act unstably. No, I've _never_ seen that in 20+ years of gaming.

Why is it when a new game comes out and even one person is dissatisfied that it runs like shit or not at all, there's always got to be at least one person who immediately just tries to blame it on them. Rather than the bloated, buggy, rushed game. Let me guess. You'd probably tell PS4 and XBOX One users where the game it literally unplayable right now that it's their fault too.
though you are extremely agressive in your attitude, i will answer you one more time:

indeed 20 years ago it was common for applications to crash windows. these days are long gone. applications simply *cant* crash windows anymore. only faulty hardware can, its even very  very unlikely that faulty drivers will crahs your system (obviously core driver components could do this, but this is why there is the driver certification...)
i understand that this is not the answer you like, but  should you manage to get over the negative  emotions of having issues with your property, this is the answer that might lead you to a solution for your problems.

as for the console versions, i dont own a console and have not seen the console port of the game. so i would not know. i expect the slower versions to be barely able to run this game, but i neither do i see a reason to blame the game for this. xbox one and ps4 are clearly not the intended main market for this game. i think its rather impressive that they managed to get this next gen game to run on last gen consoles at all.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 04:56:18 pm by motorbitch »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:11 pm »

"it's impossible for applications to crash windows or your hardware."

I wish I could reside in the fantasy land you do, the world must seem so much more sensible there.

i expect the slower versions to be barely able to run this game, but i neither do i see a reason to blame the game for this.

It crashes on both consoles and sends them back to their home page. But that's Sony and Microsoft's fault I guess, according to your logic.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:05:29 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 11, 2020, 04:59:43 pm »

Because no game has ever caused a stable system to act unstably. No, I've _never_ seen that in 20+ years of gaming.

Why is it when a new game comes out and even one person is dissatisfied that it runs like shit or not at all, there's always got to be at least one person who immediately just tries to blame it on them. Rather than the bloated, buggy, rushed game. Let me guess. You'd probably tell PS4 and XBOX One users where the game it literally unplayable right now that it's their fault too.
though you are extremely agressive in your attitude, i will answer you one more time:

indeed 20 years ago it was common for applications to crash windows. these days are long gone. applications simply *cant* crash windows anymore. only faulty hardware can, its even very  very unlikely that faulty drivers will crahs your system (obviously core driver components could do this, but this is why there is the driver certification...)
i understand that this is not the answer you like, but  should you manage to get over the negative  emotions of having issues with your property, this is the answer that might lead you to a solution for your problems.

This is just a straight up lie, and I'm pretty sure you're just trolling at this point.

as for the console versions, i dont own a console and have not seen the console port of the game. so i would not know. i expect the slower versions to be barely able to run this game, but i neither do i see a reason to blame the game for this. xbox one and ps4 are clearly not the intended main market for this game. i think its rather impressive that they managed to get this next gen game to run on last gen consoles at all.

Ah yes, the game that was originally supposed to release in April, only for the Xbox One, PS4, and PC, did not intend the former two to be the main market. That makes sense.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 11, 2020, 05:09:52 pm »

I look forward to the inevitable thread being locked over either “PC MASTER RACE” or “my PC’s dick is bigger than your PC’s dick”
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 11, 2020, 05:19:26 pm »

Yeah, yikes. When did Bay12 become so toxic?

I usually like reading threads here specifically because I get intelligent, considered discussion of the games I'm interested in rather than marketing hype, fanboy devotion or hater flamebait.

Guess I'll just play the game myself.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2020, 05:21:52 pm »

I look forward to the inevitable thread being locked over either “PC MASTER RACE” or “my PC’s dick is bigger than your PC’s dick”

Well, thanks to the clipping issues, we have absolutely no problem measuring the size of any Player Character's dicks!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 11, 2020, 05:26:18 pm »

Yeah, yikes. When did Bay12 become so toxic?

I usually like reading threads here specifically because I get intelligent, considered discussion of the games I'm interested in rather than marketing hype, fanboy devotion or hater flamebait.

Guess I'll just play the game myself.
Why do I keep seeing this response from people after they read lists of real, actionable problems with the game? It's an unforgivable jankfest that's only being propped up by all the gaming """journalists""" paid off to give good reviews and unpaid fanboy shills who reviewed it positively with ten minutes of playtime. Go look at steam reviews, every single negative one is a list of serious issues and 90% of the positive ones are zoomer memes.

My salt levels are kind of on the rise about Cyberpunk. After turning my setting down, and updating my video card drivers, my crashes have gotten worse AND uglier. (Complete system lockup.) It's the kind of thing I don't expect a couple patches to fix. The Red Engine has always been a sensitive, finicky piece of shit so I shouldn't be surprised.....but if I meet all stated specs for the game, it shouldn't choke and die the instant actual gameplay starts.
Bruh they said that it would have acceptable graphical fidelity on the PS4 and it came out looking like PS1-era graphics. CDPR didn't just screw the pooch on this one, they straight up lied to consumers on multiple fronts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2020, 05:38:52 pm »

My salt levels are kind of on the rise about Cyberpunk. After turning my setting down, and updating my video card drivers, my crashes have gotten worse AND uglier. (Complete system lockup.) It's the kind of thing I don't expect a couple patches to fix. The Red Engine has always been a sensitive, finicky piece of shit so I shouldn't be surprised.....but if I meet all stated specs for the game, it shouldn't choke and die the instant actual gameplay starts.
Bruh they said that it would have acceptable graphical fidelity on the PS4 and it came out looking like PS1-era graphics. CDPR didn't just screw the pooch on this one, they straight up lied to consumers on multiple fronts.

I'm inclined to agree. If it weren't for the fact that the game is unstable a ton of places, across the range of hardware profiles and specs, I'd probably actually chalk it up to being on Windows 7 (which they say they support) or having a HDD instead of an SSD (which they still only recommend instead of demand.) But even people that surpass the recommend specs are getting non-stop crashes, failures to launch and everything else.

Which I can live with, even if it makes me salty. I didn't pay for the game, it was a gift. What DOES make me saltier though, is when someone blindly just tries to blame it on me like CP2077 isn't rife with problems, broken promises, cut back scope, over hyped and false marketing and everything else. Taken as a whole, I feel pretty confident in not shitting all over my own PC for someone else's rush job resulting in me not being able to play it at all. The furthest I got was I walked around the starting bar and then saved out my game to go play something else with friends. That was on ultra settings. As soon as I dropped the settings down to "High", the crashes got more violent.

I'll go home and start troubleshooting using the internet's accumulated knowledge of 2 to 3 days. Some people have had success, some haven't. Chances are even if I can get it to stop crashing my system, it probably won't be stable enough to enjoy until these guys put out some patches. And I do have a system rebuild to do, so that I 100% meet recommended specs.

If it still crashes after that, then CP2077 must be a magical breed of game that is the only one which can trigger my "broken hardware."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:44:48 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2020, 05:50:04 pm »

There's even more fun come to light thanks to some insightful person.

The reason that traffic gets stuck in a line behind you forever if you stop your car in traffic, the reason NPCs will run you over without any pause before or after, the reason cops always spawn behind you instead of driving around the city to get to you, the reason that you never get into car chases outside of prescripted events? It's because they have no driving AI, it's all just cars spawning onto pre-defined sets of tracks and following them until they despawn!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 11, 2020, 05:53:42 pm »

Kind reminds me of Satellite Reign. Early in Beta they had lines of traffic and actual cars. If you did anything in the streets (left a vehicle in the way, started shooting) all the traffic would immediately gridlock and never recover. (Which was tons of fun when you'd throw a grenade under one car and trigger a chain reaction of exploding cars that would run for blocks....)

They just removed AI cars from the final release product entirely.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 11, 2020, 06:04:53 pm »

There's even more fun come to light thanks to some insightful person.

The reason that traffic gets stuck in a line behind you forever if you stop your car in traffic, the reason NPCs will run you over without any pause before or after, the reason cops always spawn behind you instead of driving around the city to get to you, the reason that you never get into car chases outside of prescripted events? It's because they have no driving AI, it's all just cars spawning onto pre-defined sets of tracks and following them until they despawn!
That sounds like a great way to save on memory, and not such a great way to make the world more immersive.

It's also a very weird place to cut corners, if that was the intent; I warrant the average player will disrupt traffic at least once, if not many times, while playing an open world game set in a city that's chock-full of vehicles being driven around...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 42