Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 63165 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt: Cutomizable genitals, delayed until 11/19/2020
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2020, 08:31:51 am »

Does the fictional genitalia in your character's pants which you will almost never see actually impact enjoyment of a video game? Most don't even show the genitals, even during sex scenes, to avoid certain ratings.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2020, 08:37:23 am »

*Skyrim horse genitalia mod intensifies*
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2020, 09:02:49 am »

To be clear, I'm not expressly against custom genitalia but as a game designer myself I always ask myself what, if anything, a specific feature actually adds to the game. Will it enhance enjoyment of the product and is that enhancement worth the level of effort required to do it correctly. In the case of custom character genitals, I can't imagine the payoff in customer enjoyment being worth the effort of implementing it in a satisfactory way. And if they made the feature more prominent in order to boost that effort/enjoyment ratio then the game might suffer because the rating will increase, shrinking the audience willing or able to purchase the game. It seems like a non-starter feature for a game intended to reach a wide audience.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2020, 09:04:57 am »

I thought it made for a funny thread title.

Although now I'm imagining customizable genitals so large that they're constantly flopping around up into the 1st person camera while you're running or jumping.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2020, 09:28:15 am »

Unless the cyberdong has an actual use in the game, I can see it as being either amusing or annoying.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2020, 09:59:43 am »

Everyone knows that a prehensile knife wielding cyber dick is the ultimate weapon of war
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2020, 10:20:20 am »

I thought it made for a funny thread title.

You were entirely correct, it definitely does.

Although now I'm imagining customizable genitals so large that they're constantly flopping around up into the 1st person camera while you're running or jumping.

*Conan Exiles intensifies*
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2020, 12:29:27 pm »

Reminds of me when I first played Cyberpunk table top game. The GM weaponized French Kissing. I don't know if this was in some splat book or he made it up, but it was a Cybernetic upgrade that deployed a prehensile cyber tongue from your esophagus with spinning blades on the end. So when you were making out with someone, this thing would shoot into their mouth and puree their insides.

So I'd hope a Cyberdong would, I dunno, shoot lasers or project a forcefield or something.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:30:47 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2020, 02:59:39 pm »

Reminds of me when I first played Cyberpunk table top in the game. The GM weaponized French Kissing. I don't know if this was in some splat book or he made it up, but it was a Cybernetic upgrade that deployed a prehensile cyber tongue from your esophagus with spinning blades on the end. So when you were making out with someone, this thing would shoot into their mouth and puree their insides.

So I'd hope a Cyberdong would, I dunno, shoot lasers or project a forcefield or something.

1.) Wait there's a tabletop game?

2.) That's horrifying.

3.) The possibilities are endless tho...
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2020, 03:26:20 pm »

Reminds of me when I first played Cyberpunk table top in the game. The GM weaponized French Kissing. I don't know if this was in some splat book or he made it up, but it was a Cybernetic upgrade that deployed a prehensile cyber tongue from your esophagus with spinning blades on the end. So when you were making out with someone, this thing would shoot into their mouth and puree their insides.

1.) Wait there's a tabletop game?

Yes. At the beginning of the thread you'll see mention of Mike Pondsmith, the guy that wrote the original table top RPG that the video game is based on.

Ironically the version I played the most (or at least read the source book the most) was Cyberpunk 2020.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:28:05 pm by nenjin »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2020, 04:37:33 pm »

Another cool one is the villain from upgrade who can cough aerosolized nanobots with hook tails that swim into your capillaries and shred your brain

That movie was really good but needed more action scenes
Shoes...

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2020, 05:27:08 pm »

The first thing almost everyone is gonna do...

1st person

*look down at floppy dong or/and boobs"

If other 1st person games are any sign, this is pretty much what a large majority of people do, the first chance they get lol.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2020, 05:48:04 pm »

The first thing almost everyone is gonna do...

1st person

*look down at floppy dong or/and boobs"

If other 1st person games are any sign, this is pretty much what a large majority of people do, the first chance they get lol.

Too many horrible thoughts here... make a character with an enormous potbelly that entirely obscures everything, is there a toggle for aforementioned 'floppy' status... and if we're going cybernetic, lets give options for prehensile or independent AI.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2020, 04:29:30 am »

In the case of custom character genitals, I can't imagine the payoff in customer enjoyment being worth the effort of implementing it in a satisfactory way.

You really can't imagine people enjoying genitalia?

I certainly applaud your prioritization of what is fun in video game design; but I feel like you are woefully underestimating how much fun people can have with their genitalia.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2020, 04:46:32 am »

In the case of custom character genitals, I can't imagine the payoff in customer enjoyment being worth the effort of implementing it in a satisfactory way.

You really can't imagine people enjoying genitalia?

I certainly applaud your prioritization of what is fun in video game design; but I feel like you are woefully underestimating how much fun people can have with their genitalia.
I feel like you're intentionally misunderstanding me, but obviously that's not what I said.

I said that the increase in customer enjoyment, and subsequent increase in sales, wouldn't be worth the effort put into the feature. In fact it would probably be detrimental.

Imagine Skyrim, but now you can give your Nord a massive floppy dong. That, in itself, isn't hard to do. Many mods do this, adding jiggly boobs and dongs. Does this increase enjoyment? For some people, certainly. It doesn't, however, add much gameplay. Said enormou-dong would first have to have some gameplay function, so now the level of effort is higher. If you want people to care about this feature, now you have to figure out how to make massive schlongs a gameplay feature. You also have to do this in a way that you somehow don't come out of it with a rating that severely restricts your customer base. Some people just won't buy such a game, some cannot due to age restrictions, some because their parents/SO won't let them. It's not really worth it if you are trying to make a widely applicable commercial product.

Niche sex games can get away with that sort of thing, their restrictive rating is actually a marketing bonus rather than a penalty. They don't expect to make the millions and millions of sales Skyrim has.

Let's say instead that they just go the route of "Okay here, you can customize your cyberdong 9000" but otherwise the game doesn't change. In this scenario you likely never see the cyberdong outside of 5-6 optional romance culmination cutscenes. Is it worth the development effort? You can now have blinking lights on your ta-tas and a dong that sings a melody when your pants drop, but does this actually do anything to the gameplay?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 04:48:57 am by forsaken1111 »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 42