Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 63153 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Seizure Warning Edition
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2020, 10:56:49 pm »

Overall, from the two hours or so I've gotten into it so far, seems fine.  A few bugs, nothing disruptive, just NPCs doing weird things in the background.  We'll see if it turns into a shitshow later, but on first pass the game seems fine.

Biggest thing is it needs optimization, I am not where the specs said I should be right now.
Shoes...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2020, 11:13:30 pm »

It feels like an early open beta to me. I'd advise holding off buying for now. It should be fine after they have a few more months to finish development release patches, but there are a lot of pretty glaring issues right now. Here's a short list mostly lifted from my steam review:

-Inbuilt mouse acceleration that you can't turn off or reduce. You're pretty much forced to use their aim assist system because it's damn near impossible to aim effectively. There's no excuse for this, I honestly can't remember a single decent AAA game in the past 15 years that had mandatory mouse acceleration.
-Keys that you can't rebind. The major one here is "f" as the action key for almost everything. There's zero excuse for this either.
-Character creation is a tiny wading pool of options. They overhyped this too much for what was actually delivered.
-Combat has no weight to it, the guns and melee weapons feel and sound like toys.
-Melee parry timing does not sync with the animations. You basically have to parry after you've been hit by the animation but before you take damage, it's incredibly counter-intuitive for anyone used to any game where prediction and reaction parrying is a major gameplay element.
-The graphical settings do next to nothing and it seems like there were lies on both ends. The upper end barely looks better than Fallout 4 did on launch and runs just as badly, the lower end looks like steamed ass and barely runs okay. Cars phase into existence a few seconds after I see them as their long-distance LOD low-res model, my character is naked in a lot of cutscenes because clothes take time to load in, even on the highest settings there are textures that look like they're from a game that released ten years ago, generic NPCs fade in and out of existence while they're close enough to spit on, &c. There's also sound weirdness, one of the big ones is that when I drive by NPCs and prompt them to start talking to each other I can still hear their conversations as if I was standing there next to them when I'm twenty meters away and moving further while inside a sealed car.

I sorta suspect they realized that the game wasn't optimized well enough to run on computers that met their minimum specs so they deliberately released with reduced visual quality to help people run it, and there are still people reporting serious performance issues with better than minimum specs.

e: Saw a review that put it pretty accurately in one line: "There's a game in the bug."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:20:53 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2020, 11:59:03 pm »

Hit escape during the intro movies.

Game crashed.

Chose a background.

Game crashed.

Actually started the game. Music started playing. Black screen. Then I see my hand.

Game crashed.

I would definitely wait. I could probably put more time into this, but it's a school night and all.

Not being able to remap controls is also some serious BS.

But hey.

At least I got a Steam trading card already.

I'm glad I wasn't super hyped, or I'd probably be pretty pissed right now.

Although in retrospect I should probably update my video card drivers, it's been a while.

Also because I'm sure people are dying to know: there are two penii, and two sizes for each kind. That's pretty much it. Which kinda makes it even funnier that the junk is poking out, it's not like there are a huge number of variables to account for. Someone didn't design some freakishly large monster schlong the likes of which not even clothes of the future could withstand.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 12:30:00 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2020, 12:39:38 am »

It's not just the male models either. Apparently, whoever modeled women's clothing and whoever implemented the jiggle physics didn't talk to one another so those bits also phase through.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2020, 12:39:54 am »

I have heard that sex scenes are based on body, not genitals, e.g. if you make a trans man V he'll still thrust like he's got a dick.  That seems like a really bizarre oversight, but a eurojanky oversight.  Lots of ideas, manic implementation, didn't think it all the way through.

Going to bed now cause I got work tomorrow, but I just did the mission from the original gameplay demo, along with a couple other small things.  Problem solving feels deus ex-ish with the CDPR twist.  Lots of options, many of them social, many not.  It makes me optimistic for future missions where I'm not going in with foreknowledge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aside from the bugs (I don't doubt it's unplayable for some people, but all I've gotten is janky NPC behavior) and the graphics (There is definitely something wrong here.  The game looks fine, but nowhere near as good as it should on my specs) there's definitely a solid game here.  I am tentatively looking forward to a Witcher 3 situation where release is a clusterfuck but subsequent work makes it shine.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2020, 05:30:18 am »

Absolutely NSFW, but related.

https://twitter.com/FiskyBizniz/status/1336696420699660288

Just quality programming, completely understandable that nobody testing the game...created a character.

I'm Commander Dickzip and this is my favourite bug on the internet
Love, scriver~

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2020, 12:29:10 pm »

I got a physical box preorder because it was on sale. Came with a lore book.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just might have to choose the "Streed Kid" start. ;)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2020, 12:35:55 pm »

played an hour after work. so far:

intro video is in ultrawidescreen. running it on my uw monitor, its displayed with black bars all around instead of fullscreen.
i am running a 3440x1440 resolution on a r 5700xt, so the resolution is challanging for my gpu. autoconfig did put everything on ultra. i had very little hope this very optimistic settings would do it, and indeed i got 23 fps when i first started the game.

aaanywa: the game looks great on high settings and 75% internal rendering resolution, motion blur, dof, film grain and all that distoion bs turned off. especially the reduced internal resolution looks great, at 75% i cant really tell a difference. the image looks sharp and crisp and the antialiasing is doing a great job.

granted i did not play for very long, but so far the gameplay is very solid and very much not janky. i read in a review that colision with npc was off and one could run right though the crowd, this does not seem to be the case with the release version. at one point an npc companion went trough an elevator door before it opened, this is the only glitch i noticed.

looking good so far, solid performance and only minor quirks.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2020, 12:42:17 pm »

So how's the game on OG Xbox one?

Don't really have the dosh to shell out on the XBOX SERIES SX ULTRA MEGA HYPER RELEASE :P

EDIT: Correction, it's the uhhh 2nd gen Xbox One. Still no fancy numerals after it, but it's not an OG Xbone
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 12:45:48 pm by Iceblaster »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2020, 12:59:29 pm »

Consensus is the game is unplayable on original spec Xbox One and PS4.  Pro versions can handle it better.
Shoes...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2020, 01:10:33 pm »

great work, totally needed all that crunch to port to last gen :P

But no seriously, my Xbone can play RDR2 just fine, if it can't run Cyberpunk from all I've seen in the past day it seems like Cyberpunk's just a shit optimized game :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2020, 01:14:02 pm »

If the reports from PC users are anything to go by (IE, turning the graphics settings all the way down doesn't help very much) it may be that the game is very CPU/memory intensive, which is an area where consoles are especially weak. Then again if it runs okay on the Xbox One S then maybe that's not it so much.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2020, 01:49:04 pm »

hm, my memory and cpu are fine though not high end for gaming (r7 3700x 32gb 3600mhz memory). gpu is decent but not high end neither (5700xt)
tuning the graphic settings has a huge effect for me, the usual culprits are the biggest hogs: screenspace reflections, volumetric fog quality, ambient occlusion.
that said: i do have to use the render resolution reduction to get good fps.

hwinfo is reporting 10gb of memory used, 8 cores are used but only one is running at about 80% load.
seems gpu limited, at least on my rigg.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #239 on: December 10, 2020, 02:00:42 pm »

For my part, outside of some small glitches like my guy appearing bald in the mirror if I have the audacity to wear a hat, the game has played smoothly and without issue.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 42