Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: A very random fantasy RTD Turn 3 up! Shady Dealings and Background information  (Read 5343 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: A very random fantasy RTD Turn 1 up! Information and woes.
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 02:17:47 am »

Head into town, catch up with party.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: A very random fantasy RTD Turn 1 up! Information and woes.
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 06:36:46 am »

Turn 2
"Happy time" for Griffon Gale

freeformshooler
He headed to the Fox and the Highwayman and surveyed it carefully for anyone who might cause him trouble.
Deciding that praying can wait you search for the eastgate. Thanks to your innate and amazing sense of direction you have no trouble finding it. Nearby you find the tavern you were searching for.

After entering you survey the (pretty spacious) common room. It is midday, not the time to visit a tavern, but you notice that there`s an unusually large amount of people present. None of them pays you any mind, and so you can listen undisturbed to the conversation.

Apparently the merchants traveling to the neighboring cities have some serious problems with bandits along the way. A caravan, which was sheduled to arrive here yesterday, is being missed. In addition storms and pirates have caused several ships to sink in the last month and many merchants fear that they will go bankrupt if nothing is done about those problems.

They have already asked the magistrate of the city, a man named Loreos, for help.

Apparently he is unwilling to commit the city guard, but has hired a band of mercenaries called the "Fanged Cleavers" for that purpose. When they first arrived they have caused an huge turmoil, and for a good reason, for apparently the band consists of dwarfs riding feral wolves. But no one has seen them for quite some time now; Supposedly they remain well hidden in the keep. Why the magistrate would hire and not use them is a puzzle the merchants can`t figure out. All they know is that the magistrate has issued an additional tax on certain goods in order to pay them.

The Merchants are pretty pissed about all that, as one can understand, and the discussion grows so heated that the inkeep has to throw some of them out.

dermonster

Gather a bit of own spider silk... Maybe head into a nearby alley before doing so.

If you want to get the interest of the fences you will need something to show them. A bit of silk should catch their attention. You aren`t keen on grossing people out and look for a good place to hide. For a moment you think about searching for some dark alley, but then you remember that you have a ship anchored just a few metres away. You enter it, noticing a funny looking Furor and a new hole in the ship as you walk by, and immediately begin to create some silk. [Roll: 4]

The silk isn`t of the best quality, nor is it a huge amount, but it should be sufficient to serve as a sample.

Nirur Torir
Begin looking for leads to illegal goods merchants.

[Roll: 2]

You have no clue how to find someone who buys illegal goods. Having no better idea you walk towards the shadiest person you can find, a swarthy human who seems conspicuous because he looks so inconspicuous. You try to find out whether he would be interested in buying something "That you don`t see often around here..". At first he seems interested, maybe because he has nothing better to do, but when you tell him that you aren`t carrying it with you he walks away.

Frustrated you try the same with a group of resting and dicing manticorians that look like pirates. (As almost every manticorians does.)  Most of them don`t speak the common tongue, and one who does just hisses at you and tells you to mind your own business. With less polite words, of course. When he loses, he blames it on you and shouts:" Znemox! No, me not want to buy no strange stuff from foul smelling Tkaxds. Begone!" Surely everyone nearby has heard it. That was very inconspicuous.

Caellath
Help Nirur in finding the merchants. I think Griffon/derm needs some happy private time.

[Roll: 5]

While following Radical Nazareth you notice a shabby looking tavern- It`s called "The common Club". You decide to try your luck within.

The tavern is pretty empty, which is quite logical since the sailors and shipwrights have much to repair after that terrible storm last night. Only a few workers, who are allowed to take a break, are inside. You don`t want to draw any attention to yourself by standing in the middle of the pub and so you sit down and fumble around in your robes, just like someone who has misplaced his purse would.

While doing this you notice three men sitting in the dark, talking in whispers. One seems to be a Manticorian while the other two are humans. The Manticorian produces a little cask and presents it to the humans. One inspects it closely while the other waits patiently. Finally the Inspecting one nods and puts a small pouch on the table. The Manticorian takes the bag, stands up and leaves the tavern.

You are sure that you have just witnessed some kind of shady deal.

Errol
Head into town, catch up with party.

You decide to follow your comrades. You catch up with Radical Nazareth, who has apparently angered a group of Manticorians. Being one yourself you manage to calm them down, though.

Character Sheets:

Nirur Torir
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Caellath

dermonster

freeformschooler

Errol
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:56:00 am by Lordinquisitor »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A very random fantasy RTD Turn 2 up! "Happy Time" for the Tarantula
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 08:44:46 pm »

Purity's eyes narrowed as the situation sank into his mind. It seems he had indeed found the knaves who were in need of having their possessions taken along with some limbs. Maybe with their lives, of course.

The Celestial Monk stood up to search for the Tarantula Man and show him the way. While searching for his companion, he made sure he still had his special flask of salt for eating human flesh, by the side of the spices for manticorian flesh and other types of dried leaves and herbs for performing the ritual cannibalism while eating the meat of any other species.

He checked his flask and it still had a good amount of the mix of salt and pepper he always carried inside his robes. Great. Now onwards to find his big-assed silk-producing friend.

Find Griffon and take him to the shady people so we can get this done.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 08:49:38 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »

Find those guys and deliver the product. Resist actually meeting the people we're selling it to.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 06:32:18 am »

Hey, hey, come on people. :P

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2012, 08:10:26 am »

"Hm... well, before I go barging in uninvited it would probably be best to find a little more about the situation."
Wind heads inside and sits down at a table of merchants. He says he's a "sort of" merchant himself, or was before his ship crashed. He then asks: "When did this all start, now? Has the magistrate been acting funny lately?"

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2012, 09:03:53 am »

Quietly back off and follow Derm.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 02:40:27 pm »

I count 4, Errol hasn`t posted yet. :P

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 12:43:29 pm »

Daaaaamn.

Accompany the gentlemen amongst our party delivering the product.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »

Oh, there is he! :D Turn almost written, will be posted tomorrow i guess.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2012, 09:45:31 am »

Turn 3
Shady Dealings

Sorry for the delay, people! Together with a friend of mine we demonstrated against ACTA and then decided to have a "little" drink...  :P

dermonster

Find those guys and deliver the product. Resist actually meeting the people we're selling it to.

Caellath

Find Griffon and take him to the shady people so we can get this done.

You leave the tavern in search for Griffon. It isn`t hard to find him, for he is the only tarantulean around and he was also searching for you. He isn`t willing to meet those people, perhaps a wise decision, and so you decide to meet them alone. Storing the silk in your robes, next to your assorted herbs, you walk to your destination.

When you enter the tavern again the two humans are still sitting at their table. Strangely enough one winks at you.

"Come here and sit down."

Perplexed you do as you are bidden.

"Hmm, if that isn`t the guy who seems to have mislaid his purse. Yes, i saw you earlier. And a friend of mine saw you with that deformed one earlier still. As i heard that one made quite the scene out there, very inconspicuous. I know what you are and what you are doing here." He says and smiles slyly.

Damn it. You prepare yourself for a bloodbath.

"You are pirates. I have seen your ship out there, the "Murderers Dirty Plunder". It`s a manticorian ship, and we all know that all Manticorians are pirates, even if some claim to be something else." He laughs.
"It seems like the Storm has damaged your poor ship and now you are stranded here without money and without a crew. And so you decided to sell some of your plunder, eh? Though, i have never seen pirates acting so, well, let`s say careless. You are lucky that you haven`t been caught by the guards yet.  And, depending on the stuff you want to sell, we could be lucky, too." He folds his hands and waits for a response.

"Well, you are right."
"Though, we aren`t pirates, of course." You add, with a smile. "Please, accept my apologies. My friend was never discreet and his behavior is made worse by the dire situation we are in. You see, we ought to be on the sea again, but we have no gold to repair our ship and to hire a new crew. As i said, we are no pirates, but if we`d sell the wares we are carrying on the market some misunderstanding could happen. People are just too eager to accuse honest people of horrible crimes this days and i prefer freedom to a prison cell, as you can surely understand."

The man laughs again. His companion, who remained silent until now, speaks in his stead.

"No, no, please accept our apologies. Of course you are no pirates, don`t listen to Morin here, he sees pirates everywhere. I understand that you are honest traders, as are we. So what do you have to sell?"

You show him the batch of silk Griffon has created. While he inspects it Morin silently drains his tankard.

"That`s fine silk, and now i understand why you don`t want to sell it on the market. Unnecessary questions would be asked. I, and my friends, will ask no such questions and will pay good gold for it. How much do you have to sell?"

"A few crates." You lie. "Some crates got damaged by the storm, but most of it should still be intact."

"Oh, crates full of that expensive stuff? I guess both you and i will be happy men soon. Sadly, i have something else to do right now. Perhaps we could conduct our business tonight? If you are willing to sell it, bring those crates to the harbor tonight. You can`t miss our.. warehouse. It`s that big building right next to the hall of fishes. House number five."

He hands the silk back to you.

"You see, we won`t ask any questions. In turn, you shouldn`t ask any yourself. And don`t tell anybody about our dealings, eh? From now on you are being watched. I look forward to our little meeting tonight. If you would excuse us now?"

freeformshooler

Wind heads inside and sits down at a table of merchants. He says he's a "sort of" merchant himself, or was before his ship crashed. He then asks: "When did this all start, now? Has the magistrate been acting funny lately?"

Posing as a merchant in trouble you are happily welcomed by the group of merchants. Dradamir, a human of the southlands with brown skin trading with exotic herbs, explains their current situation to you:

"Well, we always had some problems around here- The wilderness is a lawless region populated by bandits and the pirates have always been wrecking ships.
Yet, Liberty is the only city in this province whose harbor can accommodate the larger trading galleys and thus the losses caused by bandits and pirates were negligible. The huge trouble started when that Celestial Demon named Arakero and his crazed cult seized control of our Capital, Hindlon. The label "Celestial Demon" might confuse you, but it is explained quickly- He is neither a fullblooded demon nor angel, but his father had some angelic blood in his veins and his mother some demonic. In times past some angels and demons mingled themselves with humans and traces of their blood can still be found in certain families. I heard that he once was a holy priest and received many angelic blessings, but was somehow corrupted and started to worship dark powers. His cult grew so influential that he was able to overthrow our rightful ruler. That isn`t as bad as it sounds, for he is actually a more able ruler than any of his predecessors, and he only sacrifices criminals to his dark gods. Frankly, we here in Liberty don`t mind a demon ruling over us that much. We simply send our taxes to him now and he has shown no interest in conquering our town. But the free cities of the hundred islands won`t trade with us anymore, since it became known that a demon rules over us, and that hurts our business badly. We were still able to make some profit by trading with our neighbor cities- Trent and Milad- but unfortunately Trent decided to go to war against Milad. Liberty decided to remain neutral. Since Trent has no port and Milad only a small one they need us to provide them with goods from the mainland. However, troops of Trent attack our caravans to Milad, while soldiers from Milad attack the caravans we send towards Trent. For sure, they claim that those attacks are made by deserters and bandits, but everyone knows the truth. We can`t do anything about it besides hiring sellswords to guard our caravans, though. Sellswords cost money and are unreliable and this reduces the small profits we still make further.
"

"Some claim that the Magistrate should order the city watch to protect our caravans, but only ignorant idiots would demand that. By ancient laws the City Guard of Liberty consists only of Mermen, which are obviously ill-suited for long journeys. The Mermen were already living here when the first settlers arrived. They allowed them to settle at the coast, but only if they would be the only ones who could join the city watch- That was deftly done, if you ask me, for it provided Liberty with staunch watchmen that are well suited to defending a harbor and made sure that the humans of Liberty wouldn`t be able to neglect the interests of the mermen. It also protects Liberty against the ambition of his neighbors, for they know that we aren`t able to attack them. In addition, they know that they would never be able to conquer the mermen since they live beneath the waves in the bay of Liberty and would be able to defy them forever."

"That`s why Loreos hired those dwarven mercenaries. You asked me if he had acted funny lately, but the truth is that he didn`t act at all lately. And that`s strange since he is known to be a good and effecient governor. He seldom leaves his keep nowadays- Which one can`t hold against him. Some merchants would love to "Talk with him.. Sternly", i hear. I`m not one of them and i`m certain that he will find a solution to our problems soon."

Errol
Accompany the gentlemen amongst our party delivering the product.

You decide to follow griffon. But when you finally catch up with him he tells you that purity is already gone, delivering the sample.

You have one turn to prepare everything before night falls.

Character Sheets:

Nirur Torir

Caellath

dermonster

freeformschooler

Errol
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 10:49:50 am by Lordinquisitor »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Furor." Griffon says in greeting. "Purity is inside. He's making a business transaction, don't bother him."
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Purity raises an eyebrow; now he just needed to tell his companions about the meeting and arrange the preparations. It would have to be an ambush, but it seems he could be tracked... They would have to be cautious.

Rendezvous with the group, explain the situation and start the preparations for tonight.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh hell I completely forgot we weren't actually going to sell the silk. There's ten minutes of writing wasted.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:53:29 pm by dermonster »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grin. Widely.

"Arrgh, I understand where ye're going. Now how are we going to handle this?"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5