Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: 500 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way  (Read 42828 times)

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 200 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2012, 05:33:14 pm »

266b. When creating a character, it's a good idea to start with swimming skill of at least novice. Otherwise, you'll have to either wait for that river to freeze or spend most of the day looking for a way around it.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2012, 05:55:52 pm »

267: That reindeer herd that you started right next to is in fact, not a large source of free meat.  It is a source of gored lungs and kicked-in brains.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will take you longer to read those combat logs than it took for the game to generate them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:59:21 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2012, 06:49:23 pm »

267: That reindeer herd that you started right next to is in fact, not a large source of free meat.  It is a source of gored lungs and kicked-in brains.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It will take you longer to read those combat logs than it took for the game to generate them.

I tried that once with an early adventurer. Except it was with an elephant.

Suffice to say, I was doing well until it kicked me in the upper body and made my heart explode.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »

265e: Necromancers are never friendly, and are usually very bad fighters.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:00:30 pm by Jacob/Lee »

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2012, 07:30:49 pm »

268.Werewolves are harmless most of the time. Just to be safe, only go after them during the day.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2012, 07:32:01 pm »

269. It is very difficult to survive at night for two reasons: (no boogymen) Bandits. Boogymen.

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2012, 08:40:22 pm »

269. It is very difficult to survive at night for two reasons: (no boogymen) Bandits. Boogymen.
269a.Do not sleep unless you are right in front of a building. The bandits/bogeymen will find you and kill you.

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2012, 09:30:47 pm »

270. Shooting and reloading a bow take a lot of time, especially with low (cross)bowman skill.

I fired a shot during an ambush, and then I was dead. There were like 7 pages of combat reports, the first few detailing my dodging skills and the last few detailing my death. I think I was a dabbling bowman though...

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2012, 09:32:58 pm »

270. Shooting and reloading a bow take a lot of time, especially with low (cross)bowman skill.

I fired a shot during an ambush, and then I was dead. There were like 7 pages of combat reports, the first few detailing my dodging skills and the last few detailing my death. I think I was a dabbling bowman though...
270a. You can train crossbow without fighting or wasting ammo. You have no excuse.
(fire at a wall one z level above you)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2012, 09:34:00 pm »

270a. You can train crossbow without fighting or wasting ammo. You have no excuse.

270b. You can get legendary archer in 2 minutes by throwing. Further lack of excuse.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2012, 09:36:56 pm »

270b. You can get legendary archer in 2 minutes by throwing. Further lack of excuse.
270c.And by that point you can just throw the arrows for about the same damage as a bow, which doesn't waste them. You. Have. No. Excuse.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2012, 09:51:52 pm »

269a.Do not sleep unless you are right in front of a building. The bandits/bogeymen will find you and kill you.

269b. Sleeping in the wilderness is perfectly safe if you do so in a small depression or gully so that you can't be immediately seen by whatever ambushes you.  Simply start sneaking as soon as you wake up and either escape or turn the tables.  All I've ever needed was competent ambusher, and I'll spend weeks in the wild just fine. 

Although if you're in boogeyman country, their observer skill seems to be quite high, so it's best to sleep during the day and travel at night.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2012, 11:22:33 pm »

270. If you hold down a move key for too long, Armok will put an alligator/giraffe/reindeer in your path that will make tattered armor out of your upper body.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2012, 02:38:45 am »

270. If you hold down a move key for too long, Armok will put an alligator/giraffe/reindeer in your path that will make tattered armor out of your upper body.
270b. Unless you're fast-traveling. If you fast travel too long, some nice bandits will come and show you how to use just about any weapon.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2012, 03:10:05 am »

270a. If you discover an evil area without gooey rain and decide to hold down one of the move keys for too long, Armok will drive a cloud of devilish gloom into your face which will make a widely-hated, slow-moving thrall from your adventurer.

271. If your non-flying adventurer decides it's time to jump off a cliff in a cavern, (s)he may end starving in the pit with no known escape route. Or if under the site of a friendly civilization or bandit group, (s)he may instead decide to teleport to the surface through the feature called "retirement".

272. If you sleep in a titan's shrine or a bandit camp in a bogeyman-infested land, that doesn't mean the bogeymen won't get you tonight.

273. Saltwater crocs aren't less dangerous than alligators. They are much larger and at sight want you dead. And if they see you, you should be certain that your adventurer can finally stop waiting for their life to end before becoming the lunch of a crocodile group.

EDIT: I wish there was such a thread for fort mode. There are SOO many things waiting to be learnt the hard way that can't be done in adv mode!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:15:34 pm by Chimpanzee »
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19