Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: 500 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way  (Read 42819 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: 200 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »

probably possible if you got on the civ's shit list with the bandits.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 08:32:03 pm »

This list could be trimmed down a lot if you deleted everything that wouldn't be learned the hard way. It might take you longer to figure it out, but that's just because you're a dummy, not because you learned it at the risk of your adventurer's life.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2012, 08:33:50 pm »

Usually these things were probably learned by the posters through something unpleasent happening (bandit allies killing eachother, falling into a small dip and squashing one's skull...)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2012, 09:52:17 pm »

Usually, yeah. But shall we itemize this list and separate the things that were learned the hard way from the things that were just simple discoveries that didn't cost anyone anything to figure out? I can do that if I have to make my point.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »

Well if it absolutly has to be your own life being lost then yeah. But general injury or loss of companions to stupid things should count.

lignition

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2012, 10:01:47 pm »

121. If you are in a goblin-infested sewer, waiting an hour to let your wounds heal is a bad idea. It's better to fight a few goblins while slightly injured than 10 goblins while perfectly healthy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2012, 10:10:06 pm »

Hope you died or that doesn't count appearently.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2012, 10:21:23 pm »

Hard way doesn't necessarily mean loss of life. It could be a very close call, though, that forced you to completely rethink your strategy.

But DrPoo made had requirements whatsoever besides not going over 5 items per post, so meh.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:05 pm »

121. If you are in a goblin-infested sewer, waiting an hour to let your wounds heal is a bad idea. It's better to fight a few goblins while slightly injured than 10 goblins while perfectly healthy.

I once fought my way through hordes of bandits beneath a castle, then stopped in the last clear room and tried waiting an hour to let some of my companions heal (and therefore stop passing out all the time) before going back to the exit. The ensuing fight, alone and surrounded, was probably the most exciting of Cobar's career.

--

122. Putting on armor takes more time than you'd think. Remember that next time you forget to put on your breastplate before charging into that bandit camp. You'll be cursing yourself when that chieften is burying his spear in your lungs while you're still fumbling with the straps.
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
  • Tales of Karma and Strategy
    • View Profile
    • My Art (Deviant Art profile)
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2012, 11:02:28 pm »

123. Don't chase after the wildlife that killed your last character.
124. Don't use a legendary lasher to chase after the wildlife that killed your last 4 characters.
125. Don't use companions to chase after the wildlife that killed your last 6 characters.

Man all those posts that have nothing to add to the list really threw me off i'm not sure what i'm supposed to list any more! =P
I am an artist. I draw, write, and compose.
I am also a smartalek. I am also trying to design a game.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 11:13:07 pm »

It's bay12, if they can't take our eccentricites, screw em and let them report us. I am not scared of being wrong.

126. Don't hunt the Great White sharks. Yes, it would be awesome to kill one, but did you realize they get like fifty attacks to your one in the water?
127. Titans can by either functionally invincible or hilariously easy to kill. Both kinds can totally ruin your day in an instant.
128. If your companions have almost killed the web titan and you're still in hiding, don't try to be dramatic and jump out of hiding to fight it one on one. Suffocation is a terrible way to go after such an epic victory.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

axeman157

• Bay Watcher
  • ...And my Mi-Go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2012, 05:27:28 pm »

129. If you're sent to kill kobolds somewhere in the tundra or other places, you better know how to fight 25+ enemies at a time.
130  If you fight multiple enemies with a hammer, you're gonna have a bad time.
131. In the cosmically small chance you find a cave with a demon in it, run like a bitch, you'll probably get smeared on the floor still.
132. Remember to avoid the three Hs. Hydras, horses, and hippos. These can and will kill you in seconds.
133. Kobolds can carry steel weapons often. They won't hesitate to cut you in half like a rotten apple.

WisdomThumbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Drawing Meaning
    • View Profile
    • Wisdom-Thumbs on DeviantArt
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2012, 08:23:32 pm »

It's all about stuff you learned the hard way, not necessarily useful protips for newer players (though that's fine too, I don't think anyone will mind). For example...

134. Fast [T]ravel costs actual time and resources. Because I didn't know this, my first ever character quickly found himself lost and alone in a strange, dark jungle, surrounded by badgers and bogeymen, all while starving and dehydrated. His horrified screams could be heard all the way back in the capitol.

EDIT: derp, I numbered it wrong. Fix'd.
"She'd lost her hand, her youth, and her husband. Her entire body was a maze of scars, and without her crutch she could only drag herself over the rocks. But Dema Beandeaths wasn't done just yet. She still had a long way to go, and that six-limbed armadillo devil godking wasn't about to kill itself."
- -- -
I draw things

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2012, 09:22:48 pm »

135. Don't think you're clever and sleep in someone's house to kill them  while they're unconscious. One dumbass always has insomnia.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »

135)Your companions cannot swim
136)A shattered bone is almost always lethal
137)swords vs. horde of zombies=very fast and painful death for you
138)campfires can go out in the middle of the night( >:()
139)When you are spotted sneaking, the next turn is still done at sneaking speed for you. Not your opponent.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:15:13 pm by wsoxfan »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19