Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: 500 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way  (Read 42801 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: 200 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2012, 10:50:43 am »

216. If you die at a necromancer's tower with a demigod, NEVER go back there.
217. Attempting to retake a tower with not 1 but 8(!!!) previous demigod adventurers dead there is suicide without being a vampire.

SNOO PINGAS
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Freke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2012, 07:10:21 am »

218. Throwing blood is just as effective as a railgun.

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2012, 09:45:58 am »

218. Don't travel through mountain. There might be dragons. That breathe fire. Which roasts you instantly.
Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »

219. Mummies also moonlight as necromancers.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2012, 03:29:37 pm »

219. Mummies also moonlight as necromancers.

Why didn't I think of that? A little after my first post in this thread I found that out.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2012, 10:15:20 pm »

220. Never, ever fuck with kobalds.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 01:38:47 am by darkrider2 »

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2012, 01:11:36 am »

221.  You can totally store gold coins in any article of clothing.  I keep mine in my loincloth like some kind of warmongering stripper.  I leaned this the hard way because an Ogre wrassled off my backpack before I managed to jump in a river and swim to safety.  Gotta keep your hands free so as to not die horribly.  You might need that panty cash for a new weapon or food at some point and need not clog the all important backpack.

(Wow you can do it with any small amount of coins, I just put 7 silver coins in the human bone amulet I'm wearing on my head.  There must be slots or something.)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:16:16 am by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2012, 02:10:29 am »

220. Never, ever fuck with kobalds.

Funny, I didn't have any trouble being swarmed by them as a high level adventurer, but everyone seems to be suggesting that no level of experience is safe.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2012, 02:39:14 am »

222.  Just because your two companions are having their way with the kobold just ahead, don't assume that it is safe to stop sneaking just to get to the party before its over.  Arrows to the pancreas are as bad as arrows that chip bones when it comes to pain.

Companions charge ahead, I wonder whats up.  Companions attack kobold, I think "Sweet! maybe I can get a second kill with my silver spear and lop off a second kobold head!"  I realize it will take me a long time to travel six tiles at 302 movement rate, so I think, "Well, nothing else has attacked in these three movements of mine." and turn off sneaking. I move forward another tile, now five from my intended victim when I see the message about my pancreas being perforated by a second kobold on my right flank.  Lets just say it went down hill rapidly from there.  I guess this leads to

223.  Don't overburden yourself with stuff.  Being slow means everything gets multiple moves against you for each move you can make in return.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
  • This user menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2012, 08:58:03 am »

224. Fat is nature's armor. An immensely fat Roc will not die not matter how badass you are with an axe; bruising its fat is all well and good, but will only make it grumpy as it rips your head from your body with its first foot second toe.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »

224. Fat is nature's armor. An immensely fat Roc will not die not matter how badass you are with an axe; bruising its fat is all well and good, but will only make it grumpy as it rips your head from your body with its first foot second toe.

Oh Rocs are vicious buggers.

I had a solo adventurer who went around killing numerous megabeasts every day; hydras, dragons, titans even some bronze colossi. The Roc though, good lord. Tore off his arms and one of his legs, I had to crawl back to civilization and retire after that.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2012, 12:49:50 pm »

Oh Rocs are vicious buggers.

I had a solo adventurer who went around killing numerous megabeasts every day; hydras, dragons, titans even some bronze colossi. The Roc though, good lord. Tore off his arms and one of his legs, I had to crawl back to civilization and retire after that.

Funnily enough, I savescummed and went back to throw pebbles at it. I'm a Legendary Knapper for no good reason, and about the thirtieth sharp dolomite I tossed at it cut its head open and made it give into the pain.

Slit its throat. Ex Rok.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2012, 04:15:37 pm »

225. Do not attack stray llamas. Your companions will kill you if you do.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

TheBlueSteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »

225. Do not attack stray llamas. Your companions will kill you if you do.

225b. Do not attack stray llamas with the (tame) tag in their name. Your companions will object to you killing their livestock and end your pitiful existence.

Plus you will be swarmed by cats and geese.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2012, 09:29:00 pm »

226c:  Do not attack anything in a settlement's region tile.  Even creatures that are normally hostile in the wild can be considered under the protection of the town, and every living thing there will enact bloody vengeance if you try hunting them.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19