Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: 500 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way  (Read 42798 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: 200 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way
« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2012, 04:33:01 am »

Nope. I am one hundred (100) percent sure it raises your stats. I've heard other people say the same as you, but maybe you should go try it. :) I have, and I'm Legendary Wrestling now... So...

I'm 100% sure it doesn't :p I know it doesn't train striking and swordsperson-ship, at the very least...

Also,

204. Large webs will get you killed, irrespective of your legendary dodging and shield-user skills.

205. Swimming at the top of a waterfall can lead to !FUN! if you happen to run into anything. Even otters.

Edit: In saying that unconscious foes don't train up your stats, I think wrestling may be an exception, because I think I remember getting that increased while I was strangling things...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:37:08 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2012, 07:31:03 am »

\

I'm 100% sure it doesn't :p I know it doesn't train striking and swordsperson-ship, at the very least...

Also,

204. Large webs will get you killed, irrespective of your legendary dodging and shield-user skills.

205. Swimming at the top of a waterfall can lead to !FUN! if you happen to run into anything. Even otters.

Edit: In saying that unconscious foes don't train up your stats, I think wrestling may be an exception, because I think I remember getting that increased while I was strangling things...
It trains Wrestling and Fighting.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2012, 01:01:52 pm »

\

Also,

It trains Wrestling and Fighting.
This. If you're trying to cut an unconscious person, you are beyond my help. The thing about bladed weapons is they cause bleeding, even with just light wounds, and a bleeding unconscious person rapidly becomes a corpse. Try setting your 'shift+C' Combat setting to 'Close Combat', then walk into the unconscious bandit. You will be thrilled at the rapid rise of your skills.
Also, if they are disarmed (And their bones thoroughly broken), you can let them wake up, grab them, and just wait. You are now training dodging, armor user, and potentially shield user.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »

This. If you're trying to cut an unconscious person, you are beyond my help. The thing about bladed weapons is they cause bleeding, even with just light wounds, and a bleeding unconscious person rapidly becomes a corpse. Try setting your 'shift+C' Combat setting to 'Close Combat', then walk into the unconscious bandit. You will be thrilled at the rapid rise of your skills.
Also, if they are disarmed (And their bones thoroughly broken), you can let them wake up, grab them, and just wait. You are now training dodging, armor user, and potentially shield user.
The other thing about bladed weapons is that you don't gain any experience for using them on an unconscious person. Same with wood weapons, blunt weapons, or your bare hands. I assume the experience you gain is based on how hard it was to connect and since it's always Simple to attack an unconcious person you can only train wrestling because it doesn't use the traditional difficulty modifiers.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2012, 02:10:05 pm »

206. If you are fighting and you chip one of your bones, you might as well quit.
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2012, 04:21:31 pm »

That's what wildlife is for, man! You can even train up armor-user, if you have metal armour and you're fighting something that can't penetrate that, you could just happily sit there (more attacks for them!) and watch your stats and attributes rocket up!

At least until you realise that it's night-time, and the bogeymen come out for some !FUN!

Bastards.

Edit for 207. If you're training up ambush by holding down a direction key, make sure you don't run into a pack of wolves hiding a z-level down for you to charge into their midst. !FUN! ensues, quickly.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 04:24:41 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 25, 2012, 08:52:42 pm »

208. In dangerous areas of dungeons and catacombs, it may be wise to let a companion open the door for you, lest you run straight into some archers:
"You've been spotted!
You've been spotted!
The iron bolt hits you in the upper body, ripping apart the upper spine and severing the nerve!"

Let your lowly companions take that shot for you.
(It happened just now, I was lucky it was only bruised my gut and hurt my already useless left arm)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 300 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2012, 09:07:54 pm »

209. Carps may not be dangerous anymore, but they still swarm.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: 300 Things about Wilderness survival that you learnt the hard way
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2012, 01:43:53 am »

209. Carps may not be dangerous anymore, but they still swarm.
This, a carp and a milkfish decided to get into a epic battle with my companion. It was funny, until they started winning.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2012, 10:45:18 am »

210: If it is getting late just after you slayed that dragon, don't try and walk back to town alone. Sleep in the lair with your now-dead companions and the corpse of the dragon. No bogies that way.

211: As cool as it sounds to carry around the severed heads of your most famous trophy kills, don't. One of these days you will walk into a tower or something and have 15 severed dragon/hydra/werebeast heads jump out of your bags and eat you.

212: The mummy is impervious to your pathetic attacks. Just RUN.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Headhanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2012, 01:25:57 pm »

211: As cool as it sounds to carry around the severed heads of your most famous trophy kills, don't. One of these days you will walk into a tower or something and have 15 severed dragon/hydra/werebeast heads jump out of your bags and eat you.
Oh lawd that made me laugh.

213: You've got the treasure, now just leave. No. No, leave. I don't care if you're Legendary +5 everything, there are too many skeletons. No. Just leave! Don't... okay now do you see what happens when you get cocky?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2012, 02:30:16 pm »

214: Requesting Armok to make dragons bogeymen "for a challenge" is NOT a GOOD IDEA.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2012, 08:32:04 pm »

215. Hell, requesting Armok to make BOGEYMEN bogeymen is a real challenge. You know why to fear the ngiht, indeed...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2012, 12:53:27 am »

Hey, how else am I supposed to get a second (and third, and fourth, etc) chance to cut off a wererhino´s horn when the guy´s head was chopped clean off, EH?
And do you know how many re-animations it takes to get all the dragon´s teeth? WELL DO YA?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2012, 08:04:51 am »

216. If you die at a necromancer's tower with a demigod, NEVER go back there.
217. Attempting to retake a tower with not 1 but 8(!!!) previous demigod adventurers dead there is suicide without being a vampire.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19