Poll

Do you removal the language accents?

Yes, always.
- 1 (4.3%)
Yes, usually.
- 0 (0%)
I don't know what your talking about.
- 10 (43.5%)
No, unless I need to for a graphics mod.
- 3 (13%)
No, I said no!
- 9 (39.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 31, 2012, 08:31:13 am

Author Topic: Accent Removal?  (Read 819 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Accent Removal?
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:31:13 am »

As this is about my dozen upgrade to dwarf fortress, and my 4th time removing the accents, I was wondering if anyone else removed theres this often.  And how.. do you just copy over the language txt files, or do you use the find/replace app, wiki suggests using?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Utility:Accent_Removal

I believe for v.0.34.10, I'm going to try it with these accented characters on.  It sure makes finding candidates for militia service easier, as they have more unique names, and that list is unalphabatized.  So eyeballing it is sorta easier for me, with the strange characters.  Never noticed that before, did you?  Well take care, and enjoy the poll.  Knutor

edit: add link
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:49:46 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Accent Removal?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:49:18 am »

It's a non-issue when using truetype anyway.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:46:49 pm »

Looks like I'm only one so far to pick option 4.

I am forced to use truetype only and really mean, ONLY, when Toady's menu scrolls over into oblivion.  At all other times, my old decrepit eyes, need the larger font of GuybrushASCII 16x16.  And that has all the glorious umlattas, squigglies and gibberish a heart could desire.  Wish I could use truetype, but my advanced age and poor eyes prevent it.  This is a rather annoying issure to graphic users, from what I understand, and certainly not a "non-issue".  Some folks make a large issue about the icon that represents the sexes.  And that's just one symbol.  Thanks for polling in.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 02:33:05 pm »

I like the default font in Dwarf Fortress, but I don't like how in some menus items with long item names will scroll off the edge and I can't read them.

I know how to change the font size in the .ini file to 800x600 so it looks better in full-screen, but I don't know how to change the font to something else. What I would like to see is if Toady added a graphics options menu in DF that let you change the font size and add some kind of a word wrap option so item names don't scroll off. Maybe even widescreen support?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:54:28 am »

Pick a font from among the font types, on those font websites, then download it, many are free.  Rename it font.ttf, for true type font, or I think, .otf, for open type font.  Pretty sure the game reads both extensions, but I might be wrong. 

Then once you download and rename the font file, font.ttf, go on and stick it up in there, into the DF /art folder, and rename the one there to font.bak, incase ya get sick of the new font and want the old back.  I am back reusing the one that shipped with DF.  DF will grab it and use whatever style you picked off those font websites.

From my little bit of experience, I'd avoid the all caps, the shadowed, and the ones that do not have good wide spacing between them.  I think Deja Vu Sans is the default.  This will only change the menus, not the font used in the big game area panel, thats changed elsewhere, in the inits. 

Sincerely, Knutor