Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Interaction Improvements  (Read 1227 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Interaction Improvements
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:07 pm »

My hopes are that, due to the general nature implied in the title, this thread will be a thread where everyone can put all of their idea for improving interactions in one place to avoid Footkerchief's wrath. And to save him time, too.

I'll start with some of my ideas, in no particular order.

Spoiler: Healing (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Interactions and Items (click to show/hide)
I had some other ideas, but I can't remember them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Interaction Improvements
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:17:13 pm »

A real simple one that I saw somewhere else on the forums:

An interaction that allows you to shoot a certain item in much the same way as a material emission, set up something like this:

Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FIRE_ITEM]
[CDI:ITEM:TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_LARGESERRATEDDISC:INORGANIC:STEEL]

The ellipses refer to other such tokens you would find in other CAN_DO_INTERACTIONs.

An example of how this could be used in modding:

Code: [Select]
[CAN_DO_INTERACTION:FIRE_ITEM]
[CDI:ITEM:TRAPCOMP:KIENZAN:INORGANIC:KI]

Can you tell why I want this? :3

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:38:11 pm »

I want interacthons that can do physical damage other than through moving projectile.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:37 am »

I'd like to expand on the targeting tokens and items the AI can use to decide when to use an interaction, and the number of effects an interraction can have.

Currently, I'd like the AI to be able to determine that a friendly (as well as neutral or hostile) creature is injured and use their interaction to invoke a beneficial effect in them. A USE_ON_FRIENDLY_INJURED token, perhaps.

I don't have any other specific suggestions or explanations for that at the moment for lack of ability to concentrate and forgot the rest of what I had in mind there.

However, I would like to see shapeshifting changed to reflect the caste or at least gender of the creature being transformed, perhaps such that if the target of the effect is of a caste with the [MALE] tag then when they transform they will use a caste of the species they transform into that also has the [MALE] tag (whatever comes first, perhaps?) I would also like to see a conditional statement that tries to find a caste with identical caste ID (e.g. if the target's caste is [CASTE:FEMALE_ELEMENTAL_MAGE] then it tries to find a caste in the creature they're transforming into with that same caste ID.) If that check fails, then it defaults to attempting to find a [MALE] or [FEMALE] tag to match the target's, and if that fails, it defaults to making their were-form's caste whatever the first caste declared by that species is. It would be wonderful if this replaced the caste variable in [CE:CREATURE:(creature ID):(caste ID)] with [CE:CREATURE:(creature ID):(AS_APPROPRIATE or SPECIFIC_CASTE):(caste ID)], such that you could define whether to let it choose the caste based on that functionality or whether you have a specific caste in mind you want it to use.

I would also suggest adding a tag that can be added to a CAN_DO_INTERACTION statement that allows it to be carried over when the creature transforms, such that they could retain a natural ability of their normal form in their were-form. Making it backwards-compatible where a werecreature could have a CAN_DO_INTERACTION statement that applies to those that are affected by it when not in their were-form wouldn't necessarily make sense because one can already just add that interaction to the curse as a CE_C_D_I statement.

I of course would like to see the issues with conflicting creature descriptions cleared up so a descriptor modifying (like hair color) on a werecreature overrides a modifier affecting the same thing on the target creature if they're shared, rather than crashing the game. That way a modder could force a werecreature to take on certain aspects. I suspect though that since this hasn't been done already, it's probably a very difficult problem to solve.

Getting interractions to interface with items is a definite yes for me. Having them use items like a reaction, perhaps, or consume an item before they apply an effect would be great.

Same with a generic healing effect. Just generically advance the healing of a specific tissue, or all in a given target part including the entire organism, to a certain extent, as if a certain amount of time has passed multiplied by the target's recuperation attribute (Or however the equations for tissue healing work currently, but it would ideally still work when the recuperation attribute has been modified by another effect.), but not advance infections (and perhaps even cure them). This could ideally be applied to tissues that don't normally recover from damage like nerves. Replacing entire body parts (or a tissue layer in a body part that has been completely lost) would almost have to be a different effect. (and if not, it would be nice for the purposes of modding to have a distinction between them.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:57:12 am »

Hm, somehow that gave me an idea for some more secrets to add.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...I thought I had more ideas than that. I'll try to think of one or two per sphere later.

I also think the procedurally generated interactions should have more variation. For instance, some necromancers raise zombies without [NOTHOUGHT], some raise zombies that are fast but flimsy, some raise zombies that can infect others via bite; evil mists could create strong husks (although ideally not as though as they are now), or swift skeletal creatures (the muscles and fat and stuff would sorta rot off, leaving little but skin and bones), or bloated ones that explode into a cloud of evil mist; and so forth.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:53 pm »

Rock Trajectory. 

It removes me from my emersive fantasy when I see a rock fly like an alien spacecraft across my region.  A catapulted object needs to change z-level and splatter.  Why have it in the game, if it brings to mind undwarf-like thoughts, of low flying saucers?  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.