Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What new feature would stop you updating your game?  (Read 21552 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What new feature would stop you updating your game?
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2012, 10:16:12 am »

Sieges trying to get through walls might not be a problem if Toady of course gave us the usual countermeasures for it.  By that I mean letting our dwarves do things like boiling oil and/or pitch and then dumping it on the siegers.  These things are flammable, and there's the added fun of lighting it on fire.  Would we really be bothered by goblins trying to get through the walls if we could dump boiling oil on them and then light it, burning up a nice chunk of stuff in front of the fort?  Somehow I think many of us would enjoy that (save the pitch for the elves, since it can be made out of trees).  Or if we want to get really nasty, molten lead.  Galena seems to pop up a lot and lead isn't useful for weapons, but dumping molten lead on enemies can make it useful for defense.  And all of this would also give us a use for cauldrons.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 10:24:08 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2012, 11:26:15 am »

Unstoppable, yearly, tunneling invaders. SCREW THAT. My OCD is ok with some abnormalities in the soil level and maybe some slow stone wall-breaking, but if the invaders can tunnel as fast as dwarves can and come each year, tunneling through any type of material and just really screwing up any fortress, no matter how well designed, it's mod and/or ragequit time.

However some good countermeasures would be fun, just give us a way to stop those bastards, it's great to make a guy say "oh shi-" when he sees these guys but not ok for him to truly dread invaders instead of thinking they are a challenge and fun thing to deal with instead of a freaking hassle to deal with. Titan wrecking your dwarves - !!FUN!!, there are a bajillion ways to deal with it and it's great to have a challenge. Unstoppable, constant, hard to clean up tunneling invaders screwing up every single thing you've ever loved? Requiring more time than it takes to kick their ass to clean up after the bastards? NOT. FUN.

I would like them to be able to tunnel through soft soil, and perhaps bring siege weapons capable of SLOWLY knocking down stone and walls(but not between Z levels,), so that you have to deal with these guys instead of turtling, but i'm too OCD to ever desire stone-tunneling invaders that are not moddable in some way.

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2012, 11:43:18 am »

I would like them to be able to tunnel through soft soil, and perhaps bring siege weapons capable of SLOWLY knocking down stone and walls(but not between Z levels,)

Perhaps goblins are really bad at mining compared to dwarfs, and dig incredibly slowly. Dwarfs love mining jobs, after all - it's one of the few jobs that they will accept eagerly - and are famous for their mining skill. Goblins, maybe, are several times worse at mining than an untrained dwarf, and even when assigned digging tasks by their goblin boss they tend to lose interest and wander off a lot.

Glyndŵr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2012, 12:04:22 pm »

I would like them to be able to tunnel through soft soil, and perhaps bring siege weapons capable of SLOWLY knocking down stone and walls(but not between Z levels,)

Perhaps goblins are really bad at mining compared to dwarfs, and dig incredibly slowly. Dwarfs love mining jobs, after all - it's one of the few jobs that they will accept eagerly - and are famous for their mining skill. Goblins, maybe, are several times worse at mining than an untrained dwarf, and even when assigned digging tasks by their goblin boss they tend to lose interest and wander off a lot.

It's the ant people you need to worry about.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2012, 12:20:49 pm »

The hauling changes make me want to have job cancellations be a capital punishment, but aside from that it's been kittens and rainbows.

I'd be fine with cave-ins if it was something simple, not the colossal megaBS systems people suggest to make the game more realistic. Digging enemies sounds really fun, and my guess is that there would be certain materials that they couldn't dig. Constructed metal walls would be the obvious ones, assuming constructions ever get a material distinction.

People are way too afraid of change, which is totally ridiculous in a game like DF where everything can be easily modded out if you like. Vanilla just isn't that challenging, even on terrifying zombificating glaciers, so adding optional things to make it harder would be amazing.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 05:45:21 am »

1) If we had to worry about animal droppings or they would cause tantrum spirals.

Haha. Poo would be perfect for growing mushrooms underground. I've got shiitakes growing in my closet, not on poo, but I've read so much about poo that I'd be stoked to hear about turds in DF. I would inevitably seek the composted elephant patty [57] and some gypsum too... Maybe mix it in with dwarven wheat straw, and you'd have a perfectly normal mushroom substrate.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 06:25:13 am »

It's already happened for me... I've gotten tired of the micromanagement with clothes to the point that I've gone back to 2010. They clutter up your armor screen, and each individual material and type gets its own entry in the stocks menu. It'd be okay if dwarves just wanted a pig-tail-fiber shirt, pants, and shoes, and were willing to get rid of everything else; but in reality they have shirt, pants, shoes, gloves, mittens, socks, hats, caps, capes, robes, etc., etc., made out of a half-dozen types of cloth and umpteen types of leather, and I can't even tell what's being worn and what I need more of; and the armor for the military gets lost in the clutter. I can't just take the clothes off them and issue standard pig-tail-fiber clothing to reduce the clutter, because if I do they'll tantrum-spiral in a second, long before they get off their butts and claim the new clothing I've made. The unnecessary detail, and the way metal armor is mixed in with clothing, and the way you can't tell which things you need more of and which have been claimed--that's just too annoying for me. I want to be building and defending a fort, not micromanaging a clothing industry for a bunch of emodwarves who'll go insane because they had to walk barefoot around their own dining room.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:27:17 am by Callista »

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 06:59:59 am »

It's already happened for me... I've gotten tired of the micromanagement with clothes to the point that I've gone back to 2010. They clutter up your armor screen, and each individual material and type gets its own entry in the stocks menu. It'd be okay if dwarves just wanted a pig-tail-fiber shirt, pants, and shoes, and were willing to get rid of everything else; but in reality they have shirt, pants, shoes, gloves, mittens, socks, hats, caps, capes, robes, etc., etc., made out of a half-dozen types of cloth and umpteen types of leather, and I can't even tell what's being worn and what I need more of; and the armor for the military gets lost in the clutter. I can't just take the clothes off them and issue standard pig-tail-fiber clothing to reduce the clutter, because if I do they'll tantrum-spiral in a second, long before they get off their butts and claim the new clothing I've made. The unnecessary detail, and the way metal armor is mixed in with clothing, and the way you can't tell which things you need more of and which have been claimed--that's just too annoying for me. I want to be building and defending a fort, not micromanaging a clothing industry for a bunch of emodwarves who'll go insane because they had to walk barefoot around their own dining room.

I'm with you on that, except I've found a pretty easy way to combat the unhappiness. I design fairly large rooms for every single dwarf and give them all metal furniture or what have you. If you've got a bunch of gold and nothing to do with it, give them royally awesome bedrooms. Between admiring own sublime gold statue and sleeping in a bedroom like a personal palace, having an exquisite meal, and a fine drink, they're still often ecstatic though covered in rags or naked. Spoil the heck out of them and it's like a perpetual supply of opium.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2012, 07:04:48 am »

The hauling changes make me want to have job cancellations be a capital punishment, but aside from that it's been kittens and rainbows.

I'd be fine with cave-ins if it was something simple, not the colossal megaBS systems people suggest to make the game more realistic. Digging enemies sounds really fun, and my guess is that there would be certain materials that they couldn't dig. Constructed metal walls would be the obvious ones, assuming constructions ever get a material distinction.

People are way too afraid of change, which is totally ridiculous in a game like DF where everything can be easily modded out if you like. Vanilla just isn't that challenging, even on terrifying zombificating glaciers, so adding optional things to make it harder would be amazing.

Oh wise one who says all things can be modded out, tell me how to mod out vampires.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2012, 07:18:36 am »

you don't even have to mod to get rid of vampires, just set number of vampire curses to 0 in worldgen parameters

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2012, 07:19:17 am »

Oh wise one who says all things can be modded out, tell me how to mod out vampires.
Advanced design paramater "vampire curse types 0"

Same thing with bogeymen, demons, and werewolves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 07:37:08 am »

What would make me stop playing DF?
If it turned into a pseudo-generic adventure/building game.

Pseudo-generic strategy would still be fine. DF is just that awesome...and I like strategy games.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 08:01:49 am »

If it ceased to be free  :P
Or if my computer could no longer handle it.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Montopolis

• Bay Watcher
  • City on the Mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2012, 09:02:53 am »

I think that invaders digging through defenses would be a bit odd. A much more realistic options would be having invaders tunnel under walls and other fortifications. Then, some new state of soil, such as "weakened soil" could be prevalent under the walls. The invaders would then build wooden stilts and such to hold up the weakened walls while they worked on softening up the rest. Of course, this tactic would only be useful in soil. Once all the walls were done being undermined, the wooden beams holding them up would be burned, bringing down the walls (and due to general DF-ness, crushing a stay goblin or something). Then the invaders would have direct access to your fort. Some defences against this would include:
  • Magma
  • Smoke
  • Water
  • Counter-tunnels
  • Not having walls to begin with

As for something that would make me stop playing...
Probably only FPS and some very hard to achieve condition that is vital to dwarven happiness.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you, saying 'Damn, that was fun.'"

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2012, 12:12:25 pm »

Mining changes aren't that bad.  There's the upside of not generating all that damn junk stone that clogs up everything in a fort, and ores have quadruple the yield now to compensate.  I don't know how it affects gems, but since most of the gems I find are trash I don't really care.

I think gems have a 100% drop rate.

On topic: I would hate it if the dwarves got unhappy thoughts at the sight of blood and vomit. I would have to flood the whole map every few minutes.

I think this would make sense, but for this to be a good addition, cleaning needs to be improved, to the point where it actually happens relatively quickly.

I would also be fine with excrement, assuming there are options in the form of varying ways of dealing with it. Dwarves could do their business on the ground outside or in pits at first, outhouses would be the easy way of handling things (with nightsoil hauling either as a new labor or part of refuse hauling, to empty them out occasionally?), and eventually you could build sewage systems with flowing water. If you want to. It's another aspect to think of, sure, but as long as it also has a "fire and forget" solution of eg. outhouses, possibly also with a init file option for just turning it off, why not?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7