Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: GAME OVER, Scum Victory!  (Read 64605 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXIV: Nine-Life Ninja: Loss of Life at Level 3
« Reply #255 on: July 02, 2012, 05:01:43 pm »

Extend.  Had less time than anticipated. 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 02, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »

Four votes for an extension with three needed.

Day has been extended to Wednesday 9:00 PM MST.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 02, 2012, 06:15:45 pm »

Quote from: Shakerag
Also, I like how you only quote part of my D3 opener, as I was referring to Deathsword being town, not IO being a cop.
Maybe, maybe. It still smells forced to me.

And agreed on the musing: Let's not go swimming in the wine.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 02, 2012, 07:24:05 pm »

Flying Dice: I'm going to address your points by without quoting that whole mess, to avoid a huge wall-o-text. If you think I've done wrong (posts out of context, misquotes, etc) then call me on it. Can't promise I'll be able to post a lot, but I'll see if I can address them, at least.

• It was really just a precursor to my argument. I didn't want people to think I'd ignored D1 entirely, but there's wasn't much of interest going on. Way to make it seem like a big deal, though.
  • I never said you were Too-Town, quit putting words in my mouth. You and Shake each picked out a target, and attacked your target. You're just a little more vocal about it. You also mis-characterized the relationship between you and Shake. It's not that you didn't interact (because you certainly did), it's the fact that your interactions only bolstered each others cases. Damn near every post between you two was either a lead-in to pouring more fuel on the fire or gave you an avenue to back away from a controversial statement.
  • See above. Damn near every interaction between you and Shake has been to bolster each other's cases.
  • I think Tir's comment hit the mark, despite what you say. Did you know you use more quantifying/waffling words (I don't part when you get nervous?
  • Oh fun, an OMGUS. Thanks. And of course I'm bummed that the Cop is dead, but I don't have to make an effort to fake it. I thought it was funny that you and Shake (and only you and Shake) posted questions like that. And before you shoot back, this isn't some grand lynchpin of my case like I'm sure you'd make it out to be. It was an interesting (to me) note that got exactly one sentence.
  • Hey, thanks for breaking it down, it's appreciated. I'll do the same: What are your thoughts on Shakerag? Considering you've written a small novel in BM terms since my post and haven't so much as glanced at him sideways, y'know, I'm curious.

I'll try to address those without being too verbose.

1. I never said you specifically said that, but some of the accusations you were making read that way. Just because someone vocalizes their dislike for the way a lynch or night ended doesn't mean they're scum any more than not doing so does. Incidentally, that "shit" was at least as much a reaction to the mislynch as it was to IO being the cop/being NKed; you decided to speculate on my intentions regarding a statement that was a kneejerk response. In other words, "I think he is acting like town, therefore he is scum!" That's pretty much the definition of Too-Townie.

2. I don't believe I did, or at least I didn't notice it at the time. You're scraping together coincidences to try and form a case. Incidentally, the one comparison that leap to mind right away was that I've had a similar level and style of interaction with Theo, for much the same reasons* (see later)

3. *sighs*. That wasn't an OMGUS, that was me making a point about how screwy your logic was. You made an absurd, WIFOM-y connection, and I responded in kind to give an example of why your argument is frustrating.

My thoughts on Shakerag, along with a few other things: He honestly hasn't made a very big impression on me this game, likely in part because a lot of his posts have been IC-advice. If I had to rate him in terms of suspicion, he'd probably be slightly above Theo.

On that note, here's a summary of my current list of suspicions:
1. Chaos Armor, as per my extended argument. Most suspicious by far; I'm virtually certain he's scum.
2. Shakerag/Tiruin/You; Shake and Tiruin have both played fairly solid games and I haven't noticed anything remarkably suspicious; you're something like the third replacement for that 'slot' and I haven't had time to get a good read on you, though what I have seen feels a lot like you last game.
3. Theodolus: I feel that he has played a very solid game, though I haven't had as much direct interaction with him as I should have.

As I said, I don't really see anyone else in here as being nearly as suspicious as CA, though that will only be a problem for us if we manage to lynch scum. Everyone but him has put in what looks like a decent amount of effort into their investigations; he's the only living player I've seen pull a big defensive OMGUS and then try to retroactively claim that he was planning to do so anyways; he's been suspected by one person or another for most of the game, including both of the dead mislynches.

Flying Dice.

Hrrrrm, wait. Could you clarify how you concluded these?
3. Bother doing anything beyond saying "Your arguments are invalid but mine aren't"? Hah!

Hypocrite. You just stated that all of my arguments were fluff or rather, invalid. You did the same thing to Hapah too. In fact, that's most of what you have done. Call other people's arguments fluff, not bothering to actually answer. You are doing the exact same thing that you accused me of doing, hand waving it away.

So in other words, you're saying I'm scum for doing the exact same thing you are? Why, by that logic, we must be scumbuddies and you're trying to bus me.  ::)
[...]
So yes, I think it could be argued that you started the bandwagon on BMC in that you made a vote which (while initially valid) went practically unsupported.

You're saying that I started a bandwagon and then sidelined. Yet the IC definition of starting a bandwagon is egging other players to start voting for that player. How did I start a bandwagon and sideline? bandwagon.
Maybe that was poor wording, but that was how I saw it. Your vote was the start of BMC's downhill ride, and it was downright irresponsible to not bother looking for reasons to keep your vote where it was. You were content to have your vote on someone, and you were happy to have a lynch, as long as it wasn't you. You didn't act like you cared who was lynched, and you didn't act like you were suspicious of me at all until I pressured you. All of that adds up to one thing in my eyes, scum.

On the second, you do know that BMC's downhill ride was based on how he reacted, yes? BMC did act scummy, but in my honest opinion, all I could see from CA was that he did lack time to post, and (well, for me) posts in Mafia take time to organize due to analysis and observation.

What makes you believe that CA is content to have his vote on someone and therefore happy to have a lynch in that method?

What is your stance on a mislynch?

On the first, I'll do a breakdown:
1. I accuse CA of only addressing peripheral parts of my argument and trying to build a case on insubstantial evidence.
2. He accuses me of being a hypocrite (though personally I think I have a much more solid argument than him), implying that I am doing the same thing, which suggests that he is acknowledging that he is doing what I accused him of.
3. By his own statements, he and I are doing the same thing, and I am scum for doing so.
4. Therefore, by his own logic, he is also scum.

On the second:
1. CA was (IIRC) the very first RVS vote, and left his vote on BMC until the mislynch, yet had fewer lines of content!investigation than almost everyone else regarding the person he voted for. I recognize that he had limited internet access, but I would argue that if he were in a situation where he could not post frequently, he could still (and should have) taken the time to make his posts meatier. After all, if you only have the chance to make one post every two days or something, isn't it reasonable to put a bit more effort in than if you can make several posts per day? By that reasoning, I concluded that CA was using his (legitimate) internet problems to justify not doing much scumhunting when he did post. I took this as an indication that he didn't really care who was lynched as long as somebody was.

My stance on a mislynch? Now children, mislynches are bad, mmkay?

Hapah: Pretty much on your first content post, you laid into me. I don't think I've seen any suspicions of yours beyond this scumteam assumption (which, incidentally, is incredibly unwise in games where we don't have a PR with which to make absolute determinations of alignment/truth). Does anyone else pop up on your radar at all? What do you think about CA's statement that I am scummy for doing the same thing that he is?

Tiruin, Theodolus, Hapah, Shakerag: Do you see the arguments I'm making against CA? I'm afraid I might not have been as clear in text as I was in my mind. I don't care if you agree with it or not, I'm just curious to see if anyone else can understand the train of thought I followed to my conclusions.

Tiruin: You've voted one of the current six and FoSed two today; would you mind listing your suspicions (or lack thereof) on everyone still alive, and reasons for them?

Shakerag: I honestly haven't noticed either of us supporting the other; do you think there is solid reasoning behind Hapah's argument? I'm more interested in your answer as an IC for future reference.

It would be rather nice if we could all refrain from making arguments based on WIFOM, wouldn't it?

Incidentally, I'm working a very late night on the 4th followed by an early morning shift on the 5th, so I won't be available from ~4pm of the 4th until ~7pm of the 5th and will quite possibly be too tired/frustrated with workdrama to make coherent posts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2012, 12:20:25 pm »

FD:

1. Again, it was just an observation. I imagine Shakerag did it first and you examined his post before making yours. And I don't think you're scum-acting-like-town (ie Too-Town), I think you're scum-acting-like-scum. I'll call this Hapah's Lack-of-a-Fallacy.

2. I'll have a look at the posts between you and Theo tonight, then. We've got until Wednesday, yes?

3. Looks like an OMGUS to me, but maybe we'll agree to disagree.

Quote from: Flying Dice
My thoughts on Shakerag, along with a few other things: He honestly hasn't made a very big impression on me this game, likely in part because a lot of his posts have been IC-advice. If I had to rate him in terms of suspicion, he'd probably be slightly above Theo.
So the fact that he's made very few content posts (since I'm not certain that a post could be in IC-brackets and related to the game at the same time) doesn't bother you? I'll have to reread his posts (can LurkerTracker just give me the posts from one person?), but this is the impression I'm getting from you.
Hapah: Pretty much on your first content post, you laid into me. I don't think I've seen any suspicions of yours beyond this scumteam assumption (which, incidentally, is incredibly unwise in games where we don't have a PR with which to make absolute determinations of alignment/truth). Does anyone else pop up on your radar at all? What do you think about CA's statement that I am scummy for doing the same thing that he is?
I don't think it's unwise at this point, considering we've got to go 2 for 2 on lynches to win (Doc might give us another day, but I'm not counting on it). I'll examine new evidence after the first flip, of course, but there's not much margin for error here. As for suspicions:

Shake: I currently think he's scum, but he does have a content post brewing, so I'll give that a read.
CA: I think he's new-town fighting as best he can.
Theo: Seems to be pretty sharp for being in a BM. I think he's town, pending the review of his and your interactions.
Tir: I think he's town. He's asking very valid questions and his efforts seem sincere. (And as a side note, I think he's been scum in every game I've seen since I joined the forums, lol. Let's hope the chain is broken!)

So something like FD > Shake > Tir > Theo > CA.

Quote from: Flying dice
Tiruin, Theodolus, Hapah, Shakerag: Do you see the arguments I'm making against CA? I'm afraid I might not have been as clear in text as I was in my mind. I don't care if you agree with it or not, I'm just curious to see if anyone else can understand the train of thought I followed to my conclusions.
Bulletpoints and/or post numbers would be appreciated. At this point it looks like I'm basically committed to a full reread tonight anyway, but lists of the major points/"aha!" moments (with post numbers, if possible) would be nice to make sure I don't miss anything central to your case.

Quote from: Hapah
It would be rather nice if we could all refrain from making arguments based on WIFOM, wouldn't it?
Cute.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:17 pm »

PfP

Aaargh!!!! Work is way to busy at the moment, and I won't be home until late tonight. Hoping to get at least a few points up in an hour or so, but I may miss that depending on if I work through lunch or not. Sincere apologies for lack of activity recently.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2012, 03:05:31 pm »

(can LurkerTracker just give me the posts from one person?)
Not that I'm aware of, but it lists them out by person anyway, so a bit of clutter is the only difference.

Just so we're clear, the Lurkertracker is here. It's located on this board, but obviously has sunk down a bit, so you might have to check a page or two to find it on your own. You copy the URL of this very thread and put it in, then hit submit to use. It's very easy and can be very, very handy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »

Thanks IO!

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2012, 06:35:28 pm »

Oh man, I've never used LurkerTracker before. This thing is AWESOME. I'm going to directly copy my post below, and add new observations in bold. If you're just now tuning in, you can read this instead of my other post today.

----------------------

FD:

1. Again, it was just an observation. I imagine Shakerag did it first and you examined his post before making yours. And I don't think you're scum-acting-like-town (ie Too-Town), I think you're scum-acting-like-scum. I'll call this Hapah's Lack-of-a-Fallacy.

2. I'll have a look at the posts between you and Theo tonight, then. We've got until Wednesday, yes? Upon reread, I don't see the same style or pattern of interaction. You each asked one substantial question of the other (here and here.). They don't have the same flavor, for lack of a better word. If anyone  sees it a different way, let me know: I sometimes have problems seeing all the angles.

3. Looks like an OMGUS to me, but maybe we'll agree to disagree.

So the fact that he's made very few content posts (since I'm not certain that a post could be in IC-brackets and related to the game at the same time) doesn't bother you? I'll have to reread his posts (can LurkerTracker just give me the posts from one person?), but this is the impression I'm getting from you.
I don't think it's unwise at this point, considering we've got to go 2 for 2 on lynches to win (Doc might give us another day, but I'm not counting on it). I'll examine new evidence after the first flip, of course, but there's not much margin for error here. As for suspicions:

Shake: I currently think he's scum, but he does have a content post brewing, so I'll give that a read. Still waiting for that post. RL probably happened.
CA: I think he's new-town fighting as best he can.
Theo: Seems to be pretty sharp for being in a BM. I think he's town, pending the review of his and your interactions. Yeah, still think he's town. Better hunter than I'd realized, too. And np, RL happens.
Tir: I think he's town. He's asking very valid questions and his efforts seem sincere. (And as a side note, I think he's been scum in every game I've seen since I joined the forums, lol. Let's hope the chain is broken!)

So something like FD > Shake > Tir > Theo > CA. Theo and CA are about equal to me.

Quote from: Flying dice
Bulletpoints and/or post numbers would be appreciated. At this point it looks like I'm basically committed to a full reread tonight anyway, but lists of the major points/"aha!" moments (with post numbers, if possible) would be nice to make sure I don't miss anything central to your case. I still think your case CA is flimsy and he is just a new-town fighting back as best he can, with the limited time he has. I saw nothing to change my opinion on this, but if you can put up a post list and/or bullets I'd be happy to review them.

Quote from: Hapah
Cute.

And finally, NEED MOAR ACTIVITY! It's do or die time, people.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 03, 2012, 11:05:18 pm »

Shakerag: I honestly haven't noticed either of us supporting the other; do you think there is solid reasoning behind Hapah's argument? I'm more interested in your answer as an IC for future reference.
I can follow it.  I don't necessarily agree, but I follow it.

[Just looking at our interactions from a third-party perspective, I can see where Hapah's coming from, yes.  Were I in his shoes, I'd possibly pick up on the same line of thought.]

As a player, however, I'll state that it's purely coincidental that our interactions appeared to support each other like Hapah states.  I asked questions to you that I felt were relevant, and your responses didn't set off any alarms at that time.  There were, in my opinion, scummier fish to fry D1 and D2.

Hapah: [Any text from me in brackets is to be considered IC-speak, and therefore has to be truthful and objective as possible.  Like how IronyOwl is now that he's dead.]

Theodolus: Please explain to me how you went from Chaos Armor being a top scumpick early D3 (in response to Hapah, citing Flying Dice's posts as a "compelling argument", emphasis mine) to "using faulty logic on what are valid points" and no longer having a solid suspicion on anyone.  Does that seem to conclude that you believe Flying Dice does not have a compelling argument on Chaos Armor?

Flying Dice.  Going back and reading through D2, I can't help but notice that IronyOwl was making a large point about questioning everyone about thier cases on Chaos Armor.  The more I look at it, the more I see cop-like behavior of trying to get people away from someone who inspected as town.  Flying Dice is awfully keen on seeing Chaos Armor lynched, and for reasons that feel a bit shaky to me.  The unvoting/voting thing back on D2 is a bit queer when I look at it in more detail now (and am not intently focused on a different player), and I can't get behind the "CA started a bandwagon" argument at all. 

Flying Dice: You've stated a few times now that you've got BM33 fresh in your mind, and that you're concerned that no pressure has been applied to the ICs ... but then go absolutely nowhere with that.  In fact, we've got Hapah over here thinking the two of us are in cahoots.  Why is there a discrepancy here?  Saying one thing and doing another is ... what's the word for it ... oh, scummy!  (Yes, this is a catch-22, but I want to see your answer regardless.)

Also, CA calling you a hypocrite does not imply that he acknowledges the behavior you are accusing him of. 

[And before we get any further, I'm going to channel the spirit of the Groovester and make sure you all know that hypocrisy isn't a scumtell.]

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2012, 08:42:21 am »

Okay, I think I'm seeing some of the problems with my argument; I'm going to need some time to read back over CA's posts and my interactions with him. Content + responses sometime before I leave this evening.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2012, 09:52:34 am »

[1] Shakerag: Tiruin
[3] Flying Dice: Hapah, Chaos Armor, Shakerag
[1] Chaos Armor: Flying Dice

Day modextended to Thursday 9:00 PM MST for 4th of July holiday.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 12:43:50 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 04, 2012, 10:00:43 am »

Thanks Jim.

(I think the vote did change, though)

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 04, 2012, 12:26:01 pm »

FlyingDice
Yes, I follow your line of reasoning. I know you don't care whether I agree or not, but you're going to get it anyway. All D2 I was in agreement with your points. However after re-reading everything I now am believing he's more townie than scum. And I would be remiss in not pointing out that despite how you intended it to sound, your argument that CA's argument against you confirms he's scum makes you yourself look like scum. I don't think you intended it to come across like that, but if you're going to say "You claim what I'm doing is scummy, but you did it first so clearly you're scum" then you should probably expect someone to call you out on it.

Shakerag
Correct, I no longer believe FlyingDice's arguments are very compelling. Basically I went back through and re-read the entire game from start to present. I looked at the evidence and points I used to determine my votes for BM and Deathsword, and their behavior in response to everything. CA seemed to me on a re-read to be behaving very similar to how Deathsword acted, at least when he had time to post at least. Because both my D1 and D2 votes turned town, and CA seemed to be less worried about whether he was guilty or not and I made the determination that all his scumminess came down to being a newbie and lack of time to post. Flying Dice's arguments, meanwhile, seemed to get more and more desperate, to the point where he was using logic that proved his own scumminess in order to dig up dirt against CA. I did see your link to Jim's argument against hypocrisy being a scum tell but in this case it doesn't seem hypocritical, but more like a scum being desperate for a mislynch.

I am curious about your statement here since you didn't really expound:
More later, but I suppose to answer Hapah from early D2:
Flying Dice
and one of either Theo or Tiruin. 
I'll expound upon that later today. 

I'll be out all day at family functions so don't expect much else from me today.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 04, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »

Thanks for the extension; I should have an hour or two for further discussion with that limit, and am going to be thinking over what I've got in my head until I have enough time to go back over and reread the entire game carefully.

For now, I've looked over my initial suspicions of CA and argument against him from a detached perspective, and there are some problems with it that are too serious to ignore. Honestly, at this point I don't see anyone I think is suspicious enough to risk losing via mislynch. For the moment, Unvote. I'll give it as much thought as I can spare, but I won't be home/near a computer or browser-capable phone until late Thursday afternoon. I'll hopefully have collected most of my thoughts by then. Again, apologies about this, but I'm not in a position where my schedule is negotiable.

/gallicshrug

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 27