Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91239 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2012, 01:58:15 pm »

What about every single gameguide or strategy guide that you can buy that don't pay a cent to the companies that make the games they are about?

These books will probably cause more in donations than they cost.

you're right, I was just a tiny bit annoyed by some of the questions here that are really common at the gameplay questions. Maybe the guide can add a FAQ and a list of known bugs, It'd probaly cut my time there in half, but it might scare customers away.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2012, 03:47:43 pm »

Discount code WKGAME should drop the price in half now for a week, so I think I just have to get at least the ebook version now. Shipping to Finland would probably be a bit too costly.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2012, 04:40:41 pm »

Check Bookdepository, Johuotar - they had some cheap deals on shipping - UK based as well. And yeah, go the cheap deal code!

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:02 pm »

Hello all,

I picked up this book in this week's O'Reilly sale because I like O'Reilly books in general and wanted to support their "gaming books" genre. I then installed the current (.11) version of DF on my 2011 MacBook Pro and proceeded to work through the book.

[Edit: Solution on previous pages: Create a world with "Mineral Occurrence" set to "Frequent" instead of "Everywhere".]

I'm only on page number 14 (actually page 30) of the PDF, Chapter 2, searching for a place to start my fortress. I have now created four worlds and the search function has never resulted in any green X's for me to use to start the game off (at least, per the recommended search parameters).

Is this common? Has something changed in .11 that makes finding a place unlikely (since this is after the May 2012 version the book's preface mentions)? Am I just colossally unlucky?

Any thoughts on this matter are appreciated.

[Edit: See solution above.]

Thanks for the book!

Cheers...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:46:33 pm by NYDwarf »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:04 pm »

Read the last four pages of the thread.

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2012, 11:47:11 pm »

Read the last four pages of the thread.

Right. Found the answer for the first time on page 6... But had only read through page 3 before posting. Thanks!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2012, 03:43:38 am »

I'm starting work on the book repo this week for a new version and this damn bug is the first thing I'm going to revise! Driving me crazy this one! Hehe.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2012, 05:32:50 am »

Check Bookdepository, Johuotar - they had some cheap deals on shipping - UK based as well. And yeah, go the cheap deal code!

Thanks, Im having a look at that right now! And if I buy it from that site I can still get the ebook version from oreilly to have the updates!
EDIT: Unless Visa electron or paypal works with Oreilly I'll have to do without the ebook actually.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:00:15 am by Johuotar »
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2012, 06:08:44 am »

I would suggest contacting their support people or twitter people and asking for ideas. They are a pretty helpful bunch and I'm sure will try their best to help you spend your money  :D

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2012, 08:19:18 am »

TinyPirate, have you seen numbers on sales yet?  I'm just curious how many were sold in the first month. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2012, 08:59:25 am »

I'm starting work on the book repo this week for a new version and this damn bug is the first thing I'm going to revise! Driving me crazy this one! Hehe.

I suggest two things:

1. Put important errata in the first post in this thread (like this bug).

2. Put the errata in the official errata list on the O'Reilly site ASAP. (I checked there before posting as well, but no official errata were posted and all the unofficial seemed to be minor typos.)

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2012, 10:53:05 am »

I found another technical glitch in the manual so far. (PDF) On p18, it says your "Pts total should read 1274." Well, mine is reading 1324 for whatever reason.

Cheers!

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2012, 11:19:10 am »

I would suggest contacting their support people or twitter people and asking for ideas. They are a pretty helpful bunch and I'm sure will try their best to help you spend your money  :D
I'll try that, but at least now I'm getting the book version and thats the one I really wanted! Just ordered it and cant wait to get it!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2012, 02:51:46 pm »

I found another technical glitch in the manual so far. (PDF) On p18, it says your "Pts total should read 1274." Well, mine is reading 1324 for whatever reason.

Cheers!

sometimes your civ doesn't have some item that is in the standard embark, it varies ittle by little, depending on the civ you choose.... The manual didn't say anything about embarking civs and what may be the effects?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »

Sorry about this, but yet another question about the book/getting started. (PDF version)

p31, it says "The herbalist dwarf has the Architecture labor enabled, and the Trade Depot is one of a few constructions that requires an architect..."

Alas, it seems that I may have messed up because my herbalist doesn't seem to have this skill. He is supposed to have "Building Designer" from p20, but it looks like I didn't give that skill to anyone and instead gave the "Mechanic's" other skills to two Dwarves. Am I totally hosed here?

Thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16