Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: ☼Angelictower☼ (overseers wanted: new fort soon!)  (Read 38819 times)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Angelictower The Bloody Dungeons of Testing☼ (overseers wanted)
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »

"Darkhawk stands on the battlefield, surrounded by dead enemies"

BRING IT ON! Is that the best you can do you puny little cowards?

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2012, 05:04:29 am »

Journal of Panopita, junior woodcutter,

It has been a rough few years in the fort, we have been plagued with near constant sieges and ambushes, there are rumors of something terrible discovered in the lower caverns, and for a couple years now we have had more deaths than migrants and births.

Ishar recently finished a term as overseer, in which he did as well as any dwarf could at keeping us all alive and relatively safe. But something unusual happened, I was wandering past his office an noticed him sitting quietly, as if confused. I asked him what was wrong and he stated that with Panopticon dead he wasn't sure who to turn the fort over to, as it has been fairly common for them to spend sequential years overseeing.

As we spoke I began to get a sneaking suspicion that he was leading up to something, I made the appropriate sympathetic noises and tried to sneak off, but it was too late "Random woodcutter who was unknown until now! I declare you overseer!" He dragged me into the dining room and told everybody about it, then remembered his groin was still dented from the last fight and wandered off to the hospital.

Well, poop.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »

I have a strange feeling... it feels like death is just around the corner. I have to be careful with my every step this year.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »

Journal of Panopita,

This place is a maze, there are strange empty rooms, offices and dining rooms scattered everywhere, a brand new Hall of the Mountain King surrounded by ostentatious tombs, and a room packed full of Sauropods. I think I will make some engravings as a sort of guided tour to leave behind for future overseers.

I have installed myself in one of the unused suites built by someone previous to me and probably dead now, but there are no body parts or rotten clothes here so that is fine. I think I will get a tomb made for me as well, but I will put it on an unused level of the Tower, that way my eternal rest won't be interrupted by the vast numbers of dead, plus I'll have a view.

Man, we desperately need more labor, hopefully this Spring we won't get a siege and instead get some migrants.

Zen got up, he is currently meeting with the Drow ambassador, but he has no hands and I don't know what we will do with him, I think his mind is going a little since he just demanded someone make him a pair of padded mittens.

The doctors tell me that giving him superpowers might make Zen's hand regrow for some reason, I will consider it.

I wish I knew what all these levers are for, I am terrified of trying any of them out.

A horse died of an infection, I don't know why anyone bothered to tell me this.

The state of clothes in this fort is appalling, I've ordered a bunch to be made, hopefully that will stop me from seeing things... dangle.

No siege so far, instead we got a migrant! One. Migrant. A cheese maker who left her wife and kids no less, well it's another laborer at least.

Scouts report a siege of ants in the lowest caverns, like we are going to let them in.

I think our Masons are being struck by madness as well, they take rocks to the sections of walls they are assigned to build, then they stand in that spot and tell me they can't build because a creature is occupying the site, this confuses and enrages me.

Darkhawk is lurking up in the north of the map for some reason, does he sense trouble?

Well if he did he is amazingly confused, the Orcs are at our gate! Get back here you madman!

Gahh! How did they get in the tower?

Oh Armok, Darkhawk just tore an Orcs throat out with his teeth! He bit through steel to do it!

Well that was thrilling, lost a couple animals and a couple other nobodies, but came through ok despite all that, I think we need more guards though, still no idea how they got inside the tower.

Meph was defending the forward tower and combusted about 4 enemies during all this, Ishar and Darkhawk did the rest of the work, though Darkhawk was particularly terrifying as usual. Dude is just cruel, he could kill everyone simply by cutting off their heads, but he seems to prefer to shatter bones with his fists first, as well as attempt to devour their soul or something, maybe we shouldn't have given him that runic sword he's got, I think it might be a bad influence on him.

In other news a copper golem got a hold of a shield and now refuses to sword people anymore, I will never understand the military.

The slight increase in heat tells me it is summer!

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2012, 10:31:08 pm »

mhhh, delicious blood.... uh, whats that? "Spits out some steel"..... baah, that doesnt taste good.... What are you saying, little sword? You want blood and souls? Yes, i think i can help you..... Yes, Darkhawk can help you..... he can help you......

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2012, 10:44:17 pm »

Meph is slowly walking around the courtyard, collecting what seems to be dust. Most dwarves make a wide circle around him, but one approaches him shyly. "What are you doing ?"

Meph looks at him with burning eyes. "A little something for my collection"

"What collection ?"

"You see... these two piles are orcs... and this over there was a berserker... and the ashes over there was a shieldbearer... yes... I want them for my room... they go next to the drow... and the elves... and everyone else..."
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2012, 12:46:05 am »

<< Smakemupagus' Journal >>

We don't always hear a lot of news from topside down here in the forges, although we always celebrate with a pint or two whenever Ishar cuts someone in half with one of our blades.  And of course there's the Darkhawk Death & Dismemberment Drinking game, or 4-D as we call it.

Anyway today one of the young dwarfling apprentices told us about Meph's "collection".  I'm starting to wonder about the research funding we get from the Oracles of the Mountain King, for our study of Magma Generating workshops.  Is it really for the cause of combating global warming?  Or is there a chance that even this, the most esoteric of philosophic subjects, is destined to somehow be weaponized after all?

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2012, 01:20:15 am »

Panopita's Journal,

MOldath, skilled swordsdwarf and farmer, has been attempting to remove a section of floor for over a week now, I don't understand what is holding him up.

The Drow diplomat was unable to get anyone to pay attention to him, so he took off vowing revenge or something. Not a big deal, we are basically self sufficient here.

We have a new Mayor! Erush lost his re-election bid to Smakemupagus, which is nice cause he has his own suite of rooms already.

Holy crap, I wandered by the hospital and noticed Mokar the hammerer lying in bed. THe doctor tells me that he has a broken foot and ankle, but more importantly his "Outer Brain" is broken, I... I don't know what that means but I suspect our doctors may be mad.

"THe FOrgotten Beast RUs Momorlal has come! A huge quadruped composed of strong acid. It has a knobby shell and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its deadly dust!"

The outpost liason has informed us that we are to be elevated in the eyes of the realm.

Meph has informed me that under no circumstances am I to attempt to take away his mechanized steel axe thrower. Ooookay.

cAPS has come of age, I decided we needed a new miner so go grab a pick!

During this time I've had a small magma forging area under excavation down in the tunnels, construction finally is under way on a Magma Temple to Armok, and soon a Great Magma Forge will follow

Been a slow month or so, only event of note is that a mason accidentally dropped a rock on a cow.

Spoke too soon, the Orcs are back, this time some ranged guys going after a kitten.The turrets are dealing with them so far. I sent Ishar and Darkhawk out to deal with them, but a caravan has arrived as well, things are getting interesting.

Turned out to be about 4 ambushes, but between the human guards and our unstoppable combat monsters, they were killed to an Orc with no casualties on our side, save for the humans who I think don't feel like trading anymore.

Spoke too soon, looks like all they lost was a couple guards, so no problems there.

A sneak has been hanging out just across the river adn annoying people, so I sent the murder duo out to deal with it, just in time too as a pack of trolls chose that time to maul a couple cats, Darkhawk was ideally placed to respond. As an afterthought, he went and got that sneak on his way back.

A squadron of ants and roaches has ambushed, I don't even know what to say to that.
Ah, goblins are riding them, this is problematic as they flew over the walls.

So many! Our walls are useless! Meph where are you?

Ah, it isn't as bad as I thought, they don't all fly and there is only one archer squad, Meph is at the tower doing his thing, I have pulled everyone else back, if they get around to following orders things should be ok.

The human guards are involved now, but the Goblin leader, a wrestler by the name of General Usbu, has snuck past the gates somehow and is leading Ishar a merry chase around the outer courtyard.

Autumn has come and the battle still rages.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2012, 02:03:42 am »

Ishar just announced to refuse to go near that acid forgotten beast during Panopita's term as overseer, out of paranoid fear for his life. He didn't seem to be bothered by orc armies at all.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2012, 01:26:14 am »

Journal of Panopticon II

Panopita has been missing for a week now, she said something about going outside to return a horse to the pasture and no one has seen her since, the battle is ongoing but I think our military is turning the tide.

The fight is over, finally, I was able to let people out again and start recovering the dead, Panopita is still missing, and we lost a large number of other animals plus a few more random folks and a golem or two.

It's been a couple weeks now, we finished trading with the humans, they had basically nothing we need. We found Panopita, her tomb never got finished so she gets to be buried in the peasant graveyard.

Our champions continue to gain skill and be unstoppable, Ishar got a couple leg bruises during the ambushes, but other than that the military is fine. Our mayor lies in bed with a large dent in his chest and trouble breathing.

A glance at the stocks shows me are out of meat, I ordered a few of our vast numbers of livestock for butchering.

Darkhawk came to me today and informed me that he will never part with his runic mithral zweihander, seeing as he has killed 96 various monsters since he has been here, most of them with that thing, I have no problem saying yes.

Zen wants all barrels kept in the fort, alrighty then.

Man, there must be dozens of ant men in the caves, from all the reports I am hearing about noises from down there.

A caravan! And with it I am sure is the annual ambushes, told Ishar and Darkhawk to go out and watch to road.

The wagon drivers appear to be insane, circling in the southern fields, hopefully they turn around soon.

Ah! There is the promised ambush, just four gobbos so far, I'll let the guards and turrets deal with em.

And three or four more have shown up, same spot, no problems so far.

Ishar and Darkhawk are nothing for arrows, they apparently deliberately wandered into range and just stood there dodging until I shouted at them to kill the goblins. Easiest ambush ever.

After that trading went pretty well, picked up a bunch of random metal bars, some bags of weird stuff like Arsenic and Warpstone, got a Sladeamantine runerobe for someone, some bloodsteel stuff for a project I am working on, and a mess of food and drink. Oh yeah, a Hellfire turret and an Iron Swordgolem as well. Just in time for winter.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2012, 02:02:41 am »

The prince wanders around the fortress counting barrels with his arms pushed into the pockets of his apron. When the overseer returns to his office he finds a single piece of the princes finest official royal letterhead on his table which has one word written on it.

Dearest loyal hardworking citizen;

MITNZ?

- With warmest regards, hugs and handshakes, may we one day give our lives fighting for the glory of dwarf kind,
 - Champion Defender Prince Baron Zenerbufen II JR Head Guard of Angelictower

It looks as if the note was scribbled with his toes. The toewritting could use a bit of practice and is horrid.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2012, 02:59:47 am »

We start off winter with a viper going feral and freaking people out before poisoning a Pekyt and being killed by the murder duo after a long chase through the old coal mines. Eshtan the Pekyt immediately began rotting so I designated it for slaughter, I'm sure the meat will be fine.

I took the tomb that was being built for Panopita, I am sure no one will mind.

Winter is traditionally a slow season, I hope this holds true, I don't want to deal with another huge attack like earlier.

We keep finding dead kittens everywhere, it's a bit creepy.

Mayor Smakemupagus gave birth to a baby girl, congratulations to the family.

Ishar has withdrawn from society...

And claimed a carpenters workshop.

Materials finally gathered, construction on the Great Magma Forge has begun!

One of the Merchants is staring at the moon, I want him to leave, like now. Putting the murder duo up on guard, just in case.

Ishar has finally collected his stuff, a bunch of wood and bones mostly, and gotten to work.

The merchants are finally packing up, good, hopefully the creepy one leaves too and never comes back.

And Ishar as made a masterfully crafted Rough Wooder Splint, thus proving that he should stick to combat.

MOkar tells me he loves his Wolfram Hammer Sling like a son, I told him I don't care and to get back to his post.

Other materials finally gathered and constructed, The Church of Dark Depths is underway!

Smakemupagus tells me we shouldn't sell mittens, at all. Apparently Zen is still troubled by his lack of hands and is somehow fixating on mittens instead.

We have the reagents for it, perhaps as soon as Zen finishes his meeting I'll suggest to him that he should gain the power of fire or something, he'll either explode or become useful again, to my mind there is no downside.

The merchants are still  loading up or something, starting to worry me.

Magma Golem Forge under construction now, I don't think these will finish under my administration, but whoever comes next will have themselves some interesting resources to take advantage of.

Spoke too soon I think, The Church of Dark Depths is done, we can produce Demonbound now. Hey Zen! You want hands again?

The watchers inform me that a forest imp is brawling with a kitten, it really is slow this season.

Oh wow, at some point the merchants actually took off and I didn't even notice, thank Armok, I hope a werecreature doesn't eat them on the way home.

Forest Imps are annoying! Murder Squad away!

More ants from below, whatever unless they can swim through magma they can stay there and play with the eldritch horrors that show up once in a while.

A drow diplomat showed up, accompanied by a Pikedwarf? I got nothing.

Ah, there's the caravan, time for ambushes!

Hah, took em some time, but there they are, looks like evil(er?) drow this time, get em boys!

Ouch, cAPS was out there reloading a trap, he did not survive. In other news, Darkhawk didn't feel like getting up to deal with the Drow but Ishar was full of pep and managed to handle things with no issues.

meanwhil, trading went ok, they had pretty much nothing we need, so I picked up some more metal and a wax man in a cage.

Spring is here! I can turn this over to someone else now and if we all die it won't be my fault!

Here is the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6713

Gonna get a picture tour of the fort up tomorrow if no one minds, but tonight I am tired.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »

Panopita's tour, found hewn into the living rock by a spirit with unfinished business,

As promised, here is a brief picture tour of the fort as it was at the end of 114
This was to be my tomb, but I got punched in the head by a goblin before I could take it. Other levels on the tower include Zen's apartments, an animal storage stockpile, plus a dining room.

Here is the surface, it is covered by bodies and loot, the building with the Sauropod in it is the defensive tower, on top of that are the turrets, Meph can frequently be found there as well. Inside the curtain wall are Meph's apartments, a wood stockpile, farm and the Trade Depot, currently occupied by Drow. Inside the main wall is the safest water supply, our beehives, and a bunch of pastured animals. No way in exists on the west side of the fort, so it is not pictured.

Look at this Golem, just look.

Just below the surface can be found the brick kilns, as well as a mystery dug out room to the east, it appears to have been dug with no plan and nothing has been done with it, I have no idea how to even get in there.

Many farms and our timberyard

More wood storage and carpenter's workshop

No idea what this is, perhaps an apartment that was dug out but never furnished?

The Hall of the Mountain Kings, surrounded by tombs, off to the west are some digs following coal veins.

Hospital, mostly our wounded die in the field and don't make it back here.

Offices, rooms full of dogs, dire wolves, sauropods, and dragons, we also have a refuse pile and the Boneyard here.

A bunch of random industries are located here, Ishar has some offices in the South too I think

This is the food storage, kitchens, and dining hall, also some bright sort realized that since most of us would come through here, this is a good spot for levers, unfortunately no one knows which levers do what.

Bedrooms, we have plenty available. I have no idea what those large rooms in the middle are for, their purpose continues to confound me even in death.

A few nicely appointed suites, some remain unclaimed.

Furniture storage, plus some other random stuff including a furniture workshop.

Ah, the heart of any mountainhome; the forge level, here we have smelters, forges and crucibles, as well as various other related industries and stockpiles, newly added in the southeast section is the Church of the Dark Depths, currently restricted use on that, only Zen is allowed there, one day he will finish his meeting and then perhaps he will be bound to a demon and given new hands and a zest for life.

Finally, way down on level -50(the surface is level 100) we have the newest industries in the fort, magma stuff. Currently there is a Magma Temple to Armok and a magma smelter there, but a Great Magma Forge and a Magma Golem Forge are under construction. This section also includes the third cavern level, and reports of an evil structure have been heard, one day it will be opened and then we shall see something interesting.

There it is in all it's glory, hope this was entertaining and informative.
Challenge, one of the refuse stockpiles still has both of Zen's hands in it, find it and gain honor in the eyes of the ancestors!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2012, 02:54:53 pm »

Challenge, one of the refuse stockpiles still has both of Zen's hands in it, find it and gain honor in the eyes of the ancestors!
Maybe not. Maybe those hands were used as materials for the church of the dark depths, where Zen can hope to reclaim them - that would be awesome!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2012, 05:32:27 am »

* Granite, 115

The halls seem a bit emptier than at the beginning of my last term, except for the ghosts.  Not literally -- there's only one of those, the star-crossed child mayor cAPS -- but there are only 42 of us left, plus 14 young ones.  It's not as if this place has been a death trap, in fact far from it, but our losses have simple not been replaced by new migrants.  Those who have passed through the crucible are practically the peers of the Stonefathers themselves: there are 22 dwarves here with legendary skills.  Sadly I am the only of our Smith's Guildsman left though, and my duties as Mayor leave me little time for metal work.

My first priority must be to secure our safety, but I know that if we hope to accomplish our missions here, we must press forward.  Without much support from the mountainhomes, the tables are stacked against us in the long run.  I decide that we should be able to achieve at least one inspiring feat in the next year without too much trouble: to build a Pub at the very Top of the Universe.  We can already see birds bumping into the top of the sky, about 10urists above the top of the tower as it currently stands. 

Baron Zen is sullenly falling to despair, dwelling only on the two terrible facts which define his life.  First, the loss of his hands.  Second, the fact that Ishar still has a really sweet throne room. 

Ishar and Darkhawk have given themselves over entirely to study of the martial arts.  They've been sparring continuously for almost all of Granite.  The Hammer-legion champion Mokar is in hospital with a terrible brian injury.  Dr. Domas says the prognosis isn't good.  He's an expert in losing patients, so I'm inclined to take his word for it.  There are four poor war sauropods hanging around the hospital waiting for Mokar, or perhaps looking for their long lost masters.

Throughout Granite I gradually realize that we simply don't have the dwarfpower for major projects.  Without cutting into the soldier's training time, which I really don't want to do, we only have about 15 workers available for jobs any given time, and most of them are hauling, digging, or performing basic masonry tasks.  The first step is simply to be very selective about what loot we grab from the battlefield in the outer courtyard -- we don't really need orcish steel weapons.  I also tear out all the cage traps on the north side of the river; I don't want to lose any workers to an ambush while they're wandering across the bridge to pick up a caged antelope.  Over the course of the year I'll try to reinforce the other types of defences in the courtyard: weapon traps, turrets of course, and maybe some golems and mines. 

*Slate*

I am totally on board with Panoptia's plan to try to regenerate Zen's lost hands using an unstable arcane ritual.  I do somewhat question the idea of awakening a terrible and ancient evil right in the middle of the blast furnace course.  I order the masons to quickly toss in a bulkhead wall before OK'ing the ritual, which will at least buy us a few seconds if something goes wrong.

There is even worse news in the forge, however.  Some kind of reaction with skill Aethers has caused every stone stockpile in the fort to flood with about a thousand 200-something pound residue boulders.  We can't even build new stockpiles for ore -- there is so much of this junk that it seemingly fills any amount of space available to it.  First we try build an "atom-smasher" but we are too short handed to make a dent in the supply by hauling it normally.  It would probably take the whole year to attack this problem conventionally.  In the end, I am forced to make my own pact with the dark arts, and employ the arcane powers of 'DFHack Autodump'.

In the meantime, we start working on some extra runic weapons and platemail; these we can do immediately without the stone piles being in proper order.

The trade route is nearly overgrown with trees.  Normally this would be a trivial problem, but cutting and hauling down the overgrown trees from the courtyard takes 4 or 5 laborers away from other jobs. 

I take a moment to check on the Magmamancer, Meph.  In addition to his skill with magical fire he is actually our third-best warrior with conventional arms: adept at throwing and skilled in melee with his weapon. 

Mokar has abruptly awakened from his deep coma from the hospital, where Dr. Domas had diligently been treating his outer brain injury with soap.  This therapy appearently awakened a primal craving to craft a legendary crossbow.

*Felsite*

Finally, Zen is down on Forge chase; I thought he was getting ready for his ritual, but it turns out he was just raiding our snack bar.  In fact, his "Noble" work exemption prevents him from taking on menial work such as meddling with the occult.  This might prove problematic.

Panoptia left us a pretty good stockpile of frag landmines, so we attempt to deploy them around a chokepoint in the outer courtyard.  The mechanical components are a little finicky, but in the end we get about 5 of them deployed. 

An illithid warband appears on the north side of the river, but kill themselves in a forest fire.  Let us hope all our enemies are so stupid.

Zen can't even change out of his tattered clothes, let alone wield a spear again, so for now I relieve him from military duty and set Panopticon II up as captain of the guard.  We condense the melee guard back into two squads; The most promising new recruits are transfered to Darkhawk's command in the Anvils, hopefully to soak up some training.

Now that Mokar is up and about, he's back to his job of dispensing justice too.  He just hammered some poor furnace operator to death for 'violating the Baron's production order'.  I have no idea when this supposed crime took place, and in fact there are a LOT of dwarves queued up for justice for 'violation of export prohibition' too, but that was the only one with Zen as the injured party.  Hopefully the others are noncapital offense, we have a perfectly good dungeon, and can't afford any more offhand deaths.

*Hematite*

Zen just went from miserable to ecstatic; since his wife the Baron-Consort had a kid.   Zen suddenly finds the energy to begin to meet with these five diplomats hanging around the tower: a Drow Diplomat, human diplomat, drow hoardmaster, dwarven outpost liason, and dwarven clerk.

I am trying to set up constructions to keep us secure on the top side, so we can focus on our primary missions here.  I begin working on a roof for the inner keep, since we've been assaulted by flying goblins in the past, but the workload proves to be beyond our current capabilities.  We'll just have to keep any flying creatures  out with steel. The ground path, however, we can do something about.  Following a suggestion Meph made a few years back I order the masons to put in some bridges that can be collapsed to form an "emergency tunnel" that keeps the trade road open, while blocking off all other ground access.  I didn't activate these barriers most of the year, but it seemed a precaution that we might need to stay alive. (Note also, the diplomats tend to arrive from the south, not on the trade road, so they're probably toast if the barriers are up.  And, that Frost Giants can simply ford the river.)  The lever for the barrier is in Meph's house; the other important levers are down by the Meeting Hall, and they're (still..) labelled with Notes. 

Some of our enemies are at war with one another.  A deep drow assassin just killed a illithid thief in our courtyard.

*malachite*

Besmaretes has been made a county, and Zen's mood improves a bit more.  See Zen, that's why you should have meetings.  The dwarven 'clerk' turns out to be a second Outpost liason.  Attending to happiness of the fort more generally, we're installing a zoo and statuary on the pleb wards, and some artifacts in public places.

Zen agrees to a peace treaty with a human.  I didn't know we were at war.

Again, like every month, our runners report the movements of antmen armies in the deep.  Our miners haven't really had a chance to swing their picks this year -- I dispatch them to both the 2nd and 3rd level caverns to carefully carve out a couple observation posts where we can see, and where our ranged warriors might find a good post.  This job will probably take them several months, but there isn't much else to mine, other than a bit of coal and flux now and again.

We have two *spare* masterwork welded mithril zweihanders, a couple masterwork welded wolfram hammers, and a slademantine short sword.  Among other good stuff.  I check our stockpiles to make sure some of this is getting moved down to the forges for Runic treatment.  The miners struck some more mithril, so I also queue up a mithril mechanism for Golem forge, along with metal furniture, crafts, and ammo.  Again, this seems like a short task list, but will actually be enough work for months if not the whole year.

Crossbowdwarves have not generally won great renown in this fort, but Morul has overcome some gruesome injuries to become Proficiently skilled, and turns out that she shot down several of the goblins' Flying Ant mounts in the great battles of 114.  In recognition I upgrade their 'squad' of 2 to javalineers -- we have plenty of equipment -- and I'm also issueing the crossbows and some rudimentary armor to a civilian militia (myself, Dr. Domas, Manager, Broker, etc.)  This squad isn't intended to go on active duty but just gear up and provide a bit of self defense capabilities.  We'll at least be able to get some bolts in the air if we get a nasty surprise from more flying assault bugs.

Zen's meeting with the second clerk made us a Duchy of the Realm.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12