Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Catsplosions in other media  (Read 2361 times)

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Catsplosions in other media
« on: May 28, 2012, 11:24:05 am »

Have you seen them in any other media besides DF. In either reference or emergent behavior? Or just in your mindset?

My example:

While playing Minecraft with my friend, we had this happen. I had tamed a cat for our collection; My friend took it to the next level and bred like 10 more of them. He then got fed up with all the meowing and ploted to kill them. Disastrous results ensue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T0vvVtvmdk&feature=plcp

So, Stories?

EDIT: Erased evidence,
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:31:30 pm by Genoraven »
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Catsplosions in other media
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 11:36:25 am »

This happened to my friend and me :P

But yeah, Minecraft seems conducive to this kind of thing.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:05:18 pm »

This happened to my friend and I.

Couldn't help myself.  8)

I've seen similar explosion-type situations happen in many games, usually resulting in an army full of incredibly weak soldiers that do nothing but give the enemy gold/experience/whatever.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »

I'm confused if you think this is right, or are purposefully trolling Putnam's pointing out the grammar error in the OP.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:01:50 pm »

Shouldn't it actually be "This happened to me and my friend."?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 05:57:20 pm »

I'm confused if you think this is right, or are purposefully trolling Putnam's pointing out the grammar error in the OP.
No that is correct. When you are talking about someone else and you doing something it is not "(person) and me are (x)" it is "(person) and I are (x)"."He and I killed a bunch of cats". When something is done to you it is me. "he hit me".  http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/i-or-me
Friend should be first, and I since you guys are the subject of the sentance.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 06:05:33 pm »

No that is correct. When you are talking about someone else and you doing something it is not "(person) and me are (x)" it is "(person) and I are (x)"."He and I killed a bunch of cats". When something is done to you it is me. "he hit me".  http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/i-or-me

No. If something happens to you and another person, you say "another person and me". I is the subject pronoun. You can't just put I as the object. It doesn't work.

Also, you guys aren't the subject, you guys are the object. The subject is the pronoun "this".

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 07:47:26 pm »

No. If something happens to you and another person, you say "another person and me". I is the subject pronoun. You can't just put I as the object. It doesn't work.

Also, you guys aren't the subject, you guys are the object. The subject is the pronoun "this".
You're right, my bad.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:00:59 am by Mr. Palau »
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:38:08 am »

Putnam is correct. The easy way to tell if it "sounds right" is to remove the other party.

"This happened to my friend and I." --> "This happened to I."
"This happened to my friend and me." --> "This happened to me."

"I" is the first-person subject pronoun, and "me" is the first-person object pronoun.

You may be important for the content of the sentence, but you are not the subject grammatically. The subject performs the action, while objects do not. We can make this easier to see by adding a non-essential word:

"This [event] happened to my friend and me." The event did the happening, and it did it to my friend and me.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 02:51:28 am »

I was just about to write an annoyed post about how Putnam is terribly wrong, then I checked that OED link and actually, yes, he is right.

My days as a grammar nazi are over...  :'(
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32:23 am »

Was that... Really... A respectful grammar nazi debate? Only in bay 12.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:11 am »

Not only that, but also a Masterwork Derail.  Kudos, good B12'ers, kudos.

Do, please help yourself to this fine buffet of +1 internets.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 08:57:40 am »

Do, please help yourself to this fine buffet of +1 internets.

Why, I don't mind if I do. Come, fellow track-deconstructors, and join me for this wonderful feast!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 11:32:06 pm »

I have no idea what you are all talking about!

>.>

<.<
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Sexy Mustard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 03:15:02 am »