Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Zombie thread: Mah zambah barg bra!nz haarh.  (Read 57299 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie in Miami, Florida or: zombie survival thread
« Reply #240 on: June 09, 2012, 12:34:12 pm »

We aren't really dealing with Romero zombies, it seems. I think the desert would have a definite effect on them, but it is possible that animals can be infected.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 09, 2012, 03:03:02 pm »

Well, we have to assume only humans can be zombiefied or else there'll be no chance of surviving whatsoever. Imagine all the billions of rats living around us now going zombie, for example. They can get in anywhere, is too silent to hear and can bite through your clothes regardless of thickness. Oh, and there's literally billions of them. All heading towards you. Or hell, zombie cockroaches. Or flies or mosquitoes. You can't avoid them.

And that's disregarding the biggest source of protein just became uneatable for survivors. So yeah, we have to assume it's human only or at least limited to just a few species.
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 09, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

Update on bath salts: my brother and his friends were talking about them with reference to this last night. They're the kind of people who I'd expect to do dumb stuff like actually snorting bath salts, though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #243 on: June 09, 2012, 03:21:33 pm »

Well, we have to assume only humans can be zombiefied or else there'll be no chance of surviving whatsoever. Imagine all the billions of rats living around us now going zombie, for example. They can get in anywhere, is too silent to hear and can bite through your clothes regardless of thickness. Oh, and there's literally billions of them. All heading towards you. Or hell, zombie cockroaches. Or flies or mosquitoes. You can't avoid them.

And that's disregarding the biggest source of protein just became uneatable for survivors. So yeah, we have to assume it's human only or at least limited to just a few species.

I lol'd

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #244 on: June 09, 2012, 05:11:36 pm »

i recall resident evil and the zombie elephants though.
well let's consider medium sized mammals, since a rat if eaten would practically leave no head and little to no mobility.
still, cold beats zombies.
or ultra heat beats zombies if rotting process is increased till muscles rot and there's nothing but bones left.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 09, 2012, 05:14:28 pm »

Zombified bacteria. Uh oh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 09, 2012, 06:19:20 pm »

Hell, flies would be one of the biggest dangers even if they weren't zombiefied themselves. They'd fly around the rotting human zombies all day, or even mature on/in them, getting whatever it is that causes zombiefication all over themselves. Then they end up around you. Perhaps they land on a wound you got, or just on your food. And then you're infected, without ever even knowing what caused it.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 09, 2012, 06:34:52 pm »

That's one of the things that is always overlooked in zombie stories (of the undead variety, anyway).  The greatest danger in that scenario would be massive explosions in disease.  Rotting corpses would be smearing themselves all over everything, and the plagues of carrion insects would be unbelievable.

I know a single zombie story which gives a nod to this - The Monster Trilogy by David Wellington, which I highly recommend.  The last in the series is set like 10 years after the beginning of the outbreak.  It summarizes what life was like in the years since the first two novels, which took place in the beginning of the outbreak.  After everyone who couldn't defend themselves was weeded out, disease and starvation went to work on the rest.  Every break on your skin was potentially life-threatening, and then there was disease from eating rotten or uncooked food.  Botulism from canned goods is mentioned many times.  It's pretty grimdark.  It also has a very fun and least campy explanation for why the dead start getting uppity.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2012, 06:37:38 pm »

Zombie Survival Guide, and possibly World War Z, touched on that. It emphasized how bodies should be burned or otherwise disposed of as soon as possible, the importance of keeping wounds covered and clean, and how you should stay out of any cities thanks to the aforementioned carrion animals and diseases.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2012, 06:49:34 pm »

ZSG also handwaved that by saying that most microbes couldn't survive on zombie meat.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 09, 2012, 06:53:24 pm »

Which makes no sense unless the zombie agent is an antibacterial substance, capable of breaking down cell walls or somesuch.

Not to mention rotting being impossible without microbes. Proteins might denature over time but wouldn't produce green skin/etc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »

Hm... What happens if zombie microbes get zombified by eating zombified cells?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2012, 06:58:12 pm »

Which makes no sense unless the zombie agent is an antibacterial substance, capable of breaking down cell walls or somesuch.

Not to mention rotting being impossible without microbes. Proteins might denature over time but wouldn't produce green skin/etc.
I believe that the ZSG states that Solanum is aggressive towards other microbial life, and ZSG Zombies don't rot. They last until the brain is destroyed or they are physically compromised by the elements.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:07:00 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2012, 07:00:34 pm »

I believe that the ZSG states that Solanum is aggressive towards other microbial life, and ZSG Zombies don't rot. They last until the brain is destroyed or they are physically compromised by the elements.
Actually, in the ZSG it states that a very few species of microbes will in fact feed on a zombie. They still decompose...just much, much slower than a normal body
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2012, 07:05:58 pm »

Not to mention rotting being impossible without microbes.
This is not true. Autolysis will break down a body pretty fast.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23