Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Retro Mode  (Read 3549 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Retro Mode
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:54:35 pm »

As a long-time follower of Tarn Adams, and a huge fan of his work, I've seen his newest pet project evolve over the years and become this amazing world-simulator that no-other developer can claim to have created. It's certainly undergone some massive changes: for one, the murderous/amphibious elephants of the past simply no longer exist, and gone with them are the world-ending magma flood machines to defend ourselves against them. (Kind of. You can still build massive aboveground magma reservoirs to flood the map, but eh.)

I'd really like to see a return to the old 2D days, version 23.130.23a, but brought back with all the optimization that we have right now, plus some major bug fixes. Maybe an 'arcade' or 'retro' mode you could select from the main menu. The game's become much more complicated with the addition of the 3rd dimension, and I think some players (including myself) sometimes prefer to play the older, simpler versions of dwarf fortress.

I want to get a general feel from the community about this, who would support that kind of undertaking. Obviously it would take away time from regular development of dwarf fortress. Tarn's the one programming, so it's completely up to him, but I'd definately like to see something like this in the future. Thoughts?

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Retro Mode
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 12:33:40 am »

Hmm. It's a little whimsical but I could see it happening. Let's do it right on the release of v1.0! I mean, when we finally get there, it'll be nice to show the new players how far we've come and how different things were, and it'll be a nice treat for the players who were around from the start. Even if that sounds painfully far-off from now, I could not think of a better way to celebrate the gold release of dwarf fortress than a retro mode. I may not have been playing when the 2d version was still out, but I wholeheartedly support the concept.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 02:32:04 am »

An optimized and bugfixed (to an extent. There's a point where a bug becomes a feature :P) re-release to celebrate v1.0 would be pretty cool. Little piece of history for people who haven't played DF in 2D before.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 02:36:11 am »

I played 2d last week.  I love it, but it doesn't have all the awesome features like burrow, or even dump or forbid :O  If this was released it's probably all I would play :D
I like sushi.

Doodooist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07:28 am »

2d version may be a part of tutorial.

I often hear advices about trying out old versions of DF first because of their simplicity.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 11:44:43 am »

I started with 40d and swapped back to 2D for about half a year while we were waiting for what became the 2010 update. It was a remarkable difference, but ideally the main things it has over the current game - the progressing (and steep) difficulty curve, and the clear goal with each fort, the impossibility of being completely safe - will be integrated into the freedom and complexity of the 3D game...but having 2D with that would be nice for keeping things simple.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:28 am »

To be honest, I really don't like this idea. It would bog down development significantly, even after creation, forcing Toady to put in more work for updates than necessary. It offers little of value in return.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 03:19:55 pm »

Especially since you can just download 2d versions from the site. (putting that link on the frontpage might be worthwhile though.)
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:43:52 pm »

I remember Toady talking about this but I can't find it anywhere. He was going to include this as a surprise in a past update but it ended up being a much larger project than expected. Anyone else know where/when this was mentioned?

Edit: I messaged Toady and got this reply:
Hello Toady,

I seem to remember you mentioning that in a past update you were going to include a flat / 2D map mode as a surprise but it ended up being a more complex project and got cut. Am I remembering correctly and do you remember if it was a forum post or a DF Talk episode?

Cheers,

I remember that, but I don't remember where.  The transcripts for the talks are consolidated in one file here http://www.bay12games.com/media/df_talk_combined_transcript.html and it might be ctrl-f-able.  I don't have any ideas about a good forum search.

Sadly I can't turn anything up on the talk pages. Searched for "2D", "flat", "compressed".
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:06:30 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:51:31 pm »

Especially since you can just download 2d versions from the site. (putting that link on the frontpage might be worthwhile though.)
Yeah but he wants a 2d version with all the optimizations of the present one, which isn't avalible.

On another point. I am sure that many of the features from this release could be integrated via mod into the 2d version.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »

It could be done. So could a lot of things. The question isn't if it's doable, but if it's worth Toady's time. Right now, it's not.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:11 pm »

Quick question, how is 2d version different aside from being a older version? (Aside from the epic sites...)
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:03:02 pm »

It was more gamey, you always first had the cave river, then the cavern, then the magma sea, then the glowing pits, then the candy, and when you dug candy it started checking for you randomly lose the game.  Each step had enemies increasing in strength. It also had the different guild masters come in. You didn't have the manager screen until a manager showed up. You'd get your first anvil with a metalsmith at the end of the first year. You couldn't build walls and other constructions. There were cave-ins if you dug 7x7 or larger areas. You could flood the world permanently. Ummm, that's about all I can remember.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:52:52 am »

A good few of the newer features would be nice if combined with a 2D map. Not sure if I'd want to give up wall building for instance.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:45:33 am »

It was more gamey, you always first had the cave river, then the cavern, then the magma sea, then the glowing pits, then the candy, and when you dug candy it started checking for you randomly lose the game.  Each step had enemies increasing in strength. It also had the different guild masters come in. You didn't have the manager screen until a manager showed up. You'd get your first anvil with a metalsmith at the end of the first year. You couldn't build walls and other constructions. There were cave-ins if you dug 7x7 or larger areas. You could flood the world permanently. Ummm, that's about all I can remember.

There weren't random types of ores - all the ores you got were segregated by "layer" you were digging through in the game.  Copper was lower-class and closer to the surface.  Iron was more valuable, so you only got to find it deeper down, past the first few obstacles.

In 2d, those cave rivers, chasms, and magma rivers were all completely unbypassable.  They were roadblocks and challenges you had to tackle, and existed as one of the primary means of generating that "gamey" escalating difficulty as you progress through the game.  They extend infinitely in the Y-axis, so the only way to get past each "roadblock" was to build a bridge over them.  Cave rivers flooded, and would occasionally sweep people crossing this bridge away.  Each type of river or chasm would also spawn enemies, and there was no way to wall these off - you just had to station soldiers in your prime hallways at all times. 

Each successive type of river or chasm would spawn harder and harder enemies.  Meanwhile, clearing each successive river or chasm would give you access to better resources.  For example, you had to clear the chasm to get to iron.  You had to get up to the magma river to start up those easy-peasy magma forges.  But then, magma rivers spawn fire imps that you can't block off so easily, and will set your dwarves on fire, which is always fatal and potentially fortress-ending if you are not careful.  You also get gremlins from chasms, which can wreak havoc by pulling levers, and can bypass all your normal security measures while staying invisible - these add a "fun" layer of difficulty, because not every threat to your fortress is just a monster who fights normally. 

Farms also had to be flooded via the cave river once a year or would not function.  This meant, in practical terms, farms had to be built near the cave river, and use a pump to flood the fields early in the year.  This, in turn, meant that farms weren't quite so brain-dead a thing to set up. 

Basically, when people say 2d was more "gamey", they mean it had an escalating series of challenges for you as a player, and each successive roadblock you clear was a clearly distinguished clear step up in challenge, but also rewards and prestige as a player. 

This is as opposed to the current game, where all the challenge is pretty much up-front (except for maybe a particularly nasty FB or releasing the HFS), where the game is "hard" for new people simply because they haven't learned, but once you clear your first game year, you will find the game very easy and repetitive because the only challenge is in making a self-sustaining fort that funnels all external threats into a single killzone kept apart from the civilian populace.  Things like vampires help, but basically, part of why I've been arguing for advanced farming, rubble/cave-ins/gas explosions in mining, and now the increasing levels of challenge in the Class Warfare thread is that the game needs to recapture the notion that it should be easier early on, and gain successively more complex challenges as you go forward.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare