Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am creating a game called SPACE MADNESS! and need help...  (Read 1959 times)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile

i would like help from anyone that would be kind enough to give advice and also i would like your feedback on these ideas for the game.

- it is going to be a steampunk, roguelike, RPG, space exploration simulator.
- it will have LOTS of guns.
- it will have LOTS of items.
- will have hardcore RPG elements like having to eat, sleep, drink, and stay sane.
- customizable ships.
- being able to have a crew of 1 - 1000, and being able to talk to everyone of them.

but i need help like what programming language would be best to use?
how do i make music for it without having to perform the music myself?
and whatever else you guys think i should use?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am creating a game called SPACE MADNESS! and need help...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »

steampunk, space exploration
You'll have to explain how these work together. I don't see any way.
what programming language would be best to use?
What do you have experience with?
There are many programs for making music on a computer; I, personally, don't have experience with any.
whatever else you guys think i should use?
Telling us how much programming experience you have would be a good starting point. From this, it sounds like you have none.
These are good game ideas, but awfully broad. LOTS of guns and items, hardcore RPG elements, and customization aren't very specific goals. The more you can narrow down what you want, the easier it is to start and continue a project like this.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:48:40 pm »

I would say try to make something like pong or a simple platformer first. Nobody ever finishes their dream game when they set out to make it as their first game. Not even Toady.

I you have never made games before, try out GameMaker. Theres lots of tutorials around. Maybe try Java out if you want a real programming language, you could dabdle with PROCESSSING (ggogle it) to learn the ropes. Theres ActionScript if you want to do Flash stuff.

Basically TONs of other options.

Python and Pygame maybe?

or HTML5 with some javascript?

or perhaps you wanna go hardcore and do C++?

regardless, pick a language and start to learn it. When you can get 2 bars on either side of the screen that can move up and down and hit  a little ball back and forth to each other, you have made PONG and you are on your way.

THEN, by the time you know how to do all the stuff you want to do by making more and more complex smaller games, then your design goals will probably have changed and you will have all new game ideas.

ALSO: Go to www.TIGSOURCE.com and hang out on those forums as well. You will learn far more there than you ever could here. Have fun and good luck!
I got nothing

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »

Honestly if you don't know what programming language you want to make your game with, you probably shouldn't be making games yet as you likely have little to no coding experience. I'm being blunt, not mean, but I don't think you're going to get very far unless you've toyed with a language or two to get a feel for it, or pick a favorite language for making games. You'll also want to sort out the issue of which libraries you're going to use.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »

actually steampunk doesent fit what i wanted to be in this game so i will discard that and anyway it will probablly make it easier for me. it does sound awesome but maybe a little to much... Maybe i should create a gamemaker game first, but i only have lite and i want to create a rpg.
Honestly if you don't know what programming language you want to make your game with, you probably shouldn't be making games yet as you likely have little to no coding experience. I'm being blunt, not mean, but I don't think you're going to get very far unless you've toyed with a language or two to get a feel for it, or pick a favorite language for making games. You'll also want to sort out the issue of which libraries you're going to use.
I have watched a few videos and i sorta have a little experience i just wanted a viewpoint from someone else who codes.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:01:27 am »

just asking... Do you know how to code?  ??? iam not trying to sound sarcastic either i just want to know if you do code.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:17:13 am by XhAPPYSLApX »

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 12:12:58 am »

I would say try to make something like pong or a simple platformer first. Nobody ever finishes their dream game when they set out to make it as their first game. Not even Toady.

I you have never made games before, try out GameMaker. Theres lots of tutorials around. Maybe try Java out if you want a real programming language, you could dabdle with PROCESSSING (ggogle it) to learn the ropes. Theres ActionScript if you want to do Flash stuff.

Basically TONs of other options.

Python and Pygame maybe?

or HTML5 with some javascript?

or perhaps you wanna go hardcore and do C++?

regardless, pick a language and start to learn it. When you can get 2 bars on either side of the screen that can move up and down and hit  a little ball back and forth to each other, you have made PONG and you are on your way.

THEN, by the time you know how to do all the stuff you want to do by making more and more complex smaller games, then your design goals will probably have changed and you will have all new game ideas.

ALSO: Go to www.TIGSOURCE.com and hang out on those forums as well. You will learn far more there than you ever could here. Have fun and good luck!
steampunk, space exploration
You'll have to explain how these work together. I don't see any way.
what programming language would be best to use?
What do you have experience with?
There are many programs for making music on a computer; I, personally, don't have experience with any.
whatever else you guys think i should use?
Telling us how much programming experience you have would be a good starting point. From this, it sounds like you have none.
These are good game ideas, but awfully broad. LOTS of guns and items, hardcore RPG elements, and customization aren't very specific goals. The more you can narrow down what you want, the easier it is to start and continue a project like this.
i do have a little experience in coding i use Python, i watched a few tutorials, and you do have good points, i should narrow it down, but i will continue making this game, i could just use gamemaker....
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 12:15:17 am by XhAPPYSLApX »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 02:23:56 am »

I recommend that you keep thinking through this game idea, refining more points and generally working along in advancing it. Learn the basics of programming and a language of your choice. Make some games. Once you have your game plans (at least somewhat) refined and have decent programming experience, start working on this game. Starting before then will probably just be a letdown, and may cause you to scrap an idea that could have been very good.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 07:13:20 am »

I recommend that you keep thinking through this game idea, refining more points and generally working along in advancing it. Learn the basics of programming and a language of your choice. Make some games. Once you have your game plans (at least somewhat) refined and have decent programming experience, start working on this game. Starting before then will probably just be a letdown, and may cause you to scrap an idea that could have been very good.
good point, but using a program named GameMaker will make it easier and i can just look up some videos about the basic RPG elements... I dont need to program anything really, just add a few variables is all.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:57:13 am »

If you choose to go the quick route using the GameMaker, you're constrained by the limitations of that system. Programming from scratch, you can do anything you want; though it will likely take hundreds of times as long getting from step 0 to the final product.
If all you really want to make sure is in the game is the theme, GameMaker may be the way to go - I haven't used it, so I can't say.

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 11:51:00 am »

just asking... Do you know how to code?  ??? iam not trying to sound sarcastic either i just want to know if you do code.

Yes. I know C++, Java, Python and Lua mostly. Also Javascript, HTML, and PHP if you want to count web development/scripting. If you're pretty new to making games and coding, I'd recommend using Python and PyGame. You don't want to use C++ if you're completely new, as you can potentially take months learning about the basics of the language because it's just that clusterfucky. There's also SFML for C++ and Python.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 04:53:03 pm »

You could always try Unity, seems to be the new Flash.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275