Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Baby boom, can't cloth them all!  (Read 7716 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Baby boom, can't cloth them all!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 12:43:08 am »

... Was the birth rate boosted in recent versions?

Nope. What is happening is that married couples are migrating to your fort. In previous versions, the randomly generated migrants would have to get married before they could produce kids. The chance of them getting married depended on how crowded your meeting halls were, and if the personalities were compatible.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 01:02:00 am »

That would make sense, I've seen a lot more married couples recently. Anyway, the berzerking children are gone and no more babies. I thank you d_init file, and you, Urist McClothier
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:08:41 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 01:38:59 am »

What I usually do is setup six 3 by 15 farm plots, half for rope reeds and half for pig tails with rope reeds being grown whenever pig tails aren't to ensure a constant supply of thread. Build three farmer workshops, three looms, and three clothiers shops. Assign each clothier shop to one of the three main articles of clothing and set everything to autorepeat.

Presto! A fully automated clothing generator. Just set it up and forget about it. Half the time I don't even know it's there.

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 02:24:10 am »

I mass produce shirts. trousers, shoes and socks. Any caravan that arrives to my fortress sells all of its cloth and leather to me. Not the best option, but I help run the global textile economy.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 03:03:15 am »

-snip- Assign each clothier shop to one of the three main articles of clothing and set everything to autorepeat. -snip-
I give all clothier's shops all three items on repeat to ensure even production rates in case of 'On Break' slackery.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 04:48:06 am »

The standard dwarven solution to every problem is atom smashing or magma dumping, 'nuff said...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 06:37:53 am »

I never find myself in shortage of clothing once goblins start sieging and ambushing.
edit: missed half message.
maybe you just should refrain from atomsmashing/magma dumping entire goblin sieges immediately and take their clothing before that?

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 07:34:31 am »

maybe you just should refrain from atomsmashing/magma dumping entire goblin sieges immediately and take their clothing before that?

Seconded. I'm constructing a drowning corridor that twists around to ensure maximum extermination rate. After the expexted loss of life, the bridges that function as drowning floors are retracted to drop all remaining material to the collection & drainage level...
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

sekullbe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:40 am »

There's a bug right now where children aren't getting happy thoughts from wearing clothing. Mine have clothes but are still getting miserable then tantruming, going berserk, and generally being naughty. So unfortunately there's a bit of a limit as to what you'll be able to accomplish once you're fully infested with children.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5748

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 11:44:48 am »

I use dfhack's workflow function to make sure I have 10 extra shirts, trousers, and shoes available at all times.

workflow amount ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHORT 10
workflow amount PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS 10
workflow amount SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES 10

(I should probably have that set to 20 shoes)

Then I just set my clotheir's shop to have repeat orders for making each item from plant cloth. Then dfhack handles everything. When i have enough inventory, it suspends the repeat orders, and when inventory falls below the limits, it unsuspends them.

I'm currently buying cloth from caravans, but you can expand this method to cover spinning, dying and weaving as well to make sure your entire chain is covered. Then you just need to make sure you have enough fields to produce the plants.

I'm finding dfhack's workflow to be incredibly helpful for lots of other things as well. I always have a few extra sets of armor produced the same way, with workflow commands to smelt ore, make pig iron and steel, then make the armor. It can make most things in a fort completely automated. I never run out of booze because I have workflow set to always have at least 400 booze on hand. I never have brewing stop because of a lack of containers, because I have workflow set to always have 10 extra large pots on hand.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 01:11:26 pm »

You know all that "useless" cloth that caravans bring?
BUY IT! MAKE IT IN TO CLOTHES! IT EVEN COMES WITH FREE BINS!

Producing cloth takes too long to react to need, so instead have a massive stock which can be made into 10s of coats, trousers and shoes!

Alternatively go Spartan. Children are sent into the caverns, when they mature they are let back into the fort and join the military!
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Tfafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 06:08:12 pm »

Is there a way to check the supplies of unused clothes?

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 06:58:35 pm »

Regarding mass-produced clothing on repeat:
Doesnt your FPS die from all those items?
And do you have dwarfs constantly dropping their clothes where they stand as soon as they begin showing wear, to pic up a fresh one, thus resulting in scatered worn clothing everywhere?
And then they place that worn clothing in the garbage dump?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:12 pm »

Mine tend to grab new clothes as soon as theirs show xwearx. The xwornx stuff gets put in finished goods bins, and I trade them away. trade caravans don't seem to mind buying second hand clothes.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 01:20:07 am »

Mine tend to grab new clothes as soon as theirs show xwearx. The xwornx stuff gets put in finished goods bins, and I trade them away. trade caravans don't seem to mind buying second hand clothes.
Trade caravans don't mind buying almost anything, the same way dwarves don't mind buying almost anything.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."
Pages: 1 [2] 3