Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Baby boom, can't cloth them all!  (Read 7725 times)

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baby boom, can't cloth them all!
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:37:38 pm »

First off, thanks in advance for helping!

So here is the problem: For the first time, I've had a fortress successful enough to be stable, large, and relatively safe. Seeming to realize this, my dwarves have taken to humping like rabbits, and I am swarming with infants and children. Typically I have enough clothing looted from the dead to dress my children, but not this time. Despite the rapid manufacture of shirts, trousers, and dresses, I'm having naked children becoming embarrassed and throwing tantrums and causing problems all over my fortress. I'm a complete noob at the textile industries, so I need a lot of question answered.

In general, how do you recommend I handle this? How much cloths is the bare minimum to keep a child happy? Other than Dimple Cups, where can I get dyes? Is it worth it to try and dye some of the cloths? Anyway to curb the birthrate? Anything else I should

Again, thank you for you time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Baby boom, can't cloth them all!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »

When you can, pig tail farming everywhere. Those two seasons should be filled with pig tails.
For every time else, there's rope reeds.
As for dyes, look to the surface.

Get shoes/socks/shirts/trousers. As for the children, metal spike.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:42:02 pm »

You could also attempt dwarven abortions. That is, blows to the abdomen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 12:45:25 pm »

Dwarves appear to need 3 pieces of clothing to avoid unhappy thoughts:

Shirt or tunic
Trousers
Shoes or socks

Armor apparently does not work so be sure to include clothing in your military uniforms or set to wear armor over clothes.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:52:09 pm »

Thanks, also, is clothing gender specific?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:54:42 pm »

Order loads of leather from the dwarves, if you set prority at max, 4 bins of each type of leather you order will arrive. a GCS silk farm is fun also for extra material to weave
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »

A grizzled, manly dwarf can use a red dress and pink skirt if thats the first thing they grab when their clothes begin to show wear. So no gender-specific clothes.

You can also use coats and robes if your civilization doesnt make shirts and tunics. Not sure how much the coat interferes with armor but the robe suposedly is the better defense piece.

Also training rooms for mothers carrying babies and the pit for children unless you are willing to invest in dwarven daycare.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:19:57 pm »

I find trousers unnecessary, as dwarves seem perfectly happy with wearing robes and cloth shoes. Robes cover both the upper and lower body, which dwarves want covered, and take less manpower to create than making both tunics and trousers.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 01:26:08 pm »

Killing children slowly can be done with vampires, and also has the benefit of making your parent Dwarves resistant to all emotion, providing you keep them sane. Use this knowledge to your advantage.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 01:28:11 pm »

Elves are a great source of cloth.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 01:40:04 pm »

to reply to earlier question, no, there is no actual need for dye.

to limit children without going through the trouble of killing all the time, go to df folder, data - init - d_init.txt

somewhere should be pop cap (to limit migrants) and child cap. Child cap limits the beginning of new pregnancies in your fort. existing ones go on as normal, migrant waves are not affected. It consists of 2 numbers. One is a concrete number, the other a percentage. standard setting is 100:1000, or 100 children (babies included) or 10x (1000%) of adult population, whichever is reached first. It might be a good idea to set it a bit lower
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 02:04:00 pm »

I find trousers unnecessary, as dwarves seem perfectly happy with wearing robes and cloth shoes. Robes cover both the upper and lower body, which dwarves want covered, and take less manpower to create than making both tunics and trousers.

Dwarves will still get a thought by not wearing pants. Coverage means nothing in relation to which clothing satisfies their need.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

der_elvenfrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 07:19:14 pm »

Eh, keeping an eye on an active textile industry is just too much trouble. I prefer passive population control. Carpenter's Workshop > Make wooden training spear (R).

Fill dining hall with spike traps, link to repeating lever. A.K.A. the dwarven morning-after pill.
Civilians get a little free military training, and the occasional baby (or pet) gets euthanized as punishment for their parents' excessive partying. The one's that don't die provide great round-the-clock training for your hospital staff. Keep mothers out of the military to minimize their exposure to additional carnage, check up on mood changes in therapist every three or four deaths so you can turn off the abortionator if things start to get ugly. My dwarves seem to move on pretty quick, usually.

Plenty of clothes to go around, now.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 10:15:31 pm »

I've had the same problem, but all you really need is a clothiers shop a the yearly elven cloth harvest. Besides, the only real damage I've seen is a few destroyed buildings, and some excellent practice for the funeral and medical industries. Although, my dwarfs dont seem to care actually.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:05:17 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 12:32:05 am »

Holy crap, I've just started having this problem too. When did dwarfs start breeding like rabbits? I've got a total population of 130, 60 of which are children! I have to unpause about 10 times per game month because of notifications that someone had another baby. I've just finally set the child cap very low, but it's a bit late now I guess. I've never had so many babies in a fort before! Was the birth rate boosted in recent versions?
Pages: [1] 2 3