Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Baby boom, can't cloth them all!  (Read 7720 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baby boom, can't cloth them all!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 03:08:35 am »

How can i get rid of all these worn stuff on the ground ? Just selling it ? My dwarves don't even take it to finished products bins...?

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 03:12:38 am »

How can i get rid of all these worn stuff on the ground ? Just selling it ? My dwarves don't even take it to finished products bins...?
It takes a while for the ownership of those clothes on the floor to get removed (unless they're inside private bedrooms, in which case, it just doesn't happen). After that, they're free to get dumped on the traders.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 12:06:32 pm »

As usual, several factors are creating this behavior.

The clothing is remaining on the ground because it is still marked as owned by a particular dwarf.  That tag will expire eventually and then some hauler will pick up the item and put it in an appropriate stockpile if there is one.  DFHack has a cleanowned utility that will remove all such owner tags at once allowing for immediate cleanup by your haulers or you can just wait.

Your dwarves are throwing the items on the ground because they have no cabinets that belong to them.  If the dwarf had a bedroom with a cabinet in them he would put his used clothing there.  I believe, but have not confirmed myself, that those cabinents have a limit on items and I also believe that the ownership tag will not expire if the item is in a cabinent.  Again, those are guesses, ymmv.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

xmorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 01:41:00 pm »

elves carry lots of textile things.  get all the leather and cloth you can buy from their bins.  I think "Looms" are automatic, if there is something to be "loomed", just make sure you have a weaver.  Yea mostly i just buy my cloth/leather.  buchering helps with leather production, you can also have rabits and cats breed (like rabbits and cats do) and get leather for clothes...

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »

... you can also have rabits and cats breed (like rabbits and cats do) and get leather for clothes...

Really? Do they make crabbits? Or is that where rats come from?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 04:17:16 am »

I have one cabinet per bedroom, i guess that's not enough. Thanks for the help, anyway.
Is there a way to know if there are enough clothes left for my dwarves ? With all the stuff from dead dwarves, i don't know (as the stock screen doesn't say if the stuff is worn or not) sometimes if i have to make socks or things like that...

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 07:01:08 am »

Had 2 children go insane/melancholic due to no clothes, even though my clothier has been churning out shirts/pants/shoes nonstop.
I hope this  bug gets fixed soon, Ive had a gigantic baby boom in my fort recently... in a couple of years theyre going to be a ticking time-bomb 

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 07:38:32 am »

In my d_init.txt I set:

[BABY_CHILD_CAP:12:1000]

Only twelve children.  I figure if things work out properly, after some years, I get a free peasant every year!  ;)
The Hammer Lord bashes The Recruit in the mouth with his *silver warhammer*, educating the target.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 01:32:03 pm »

... Was the birth rate boosted in recent versions?

Nope. What is happening is that married couples are migrating to your fort. In previous versions, the randomly generated migrants would have to get married before they could produce kids. The chance of them getting married depended on how crowded your meeting halls were, and if the personalities were compatible.

Also, I've noticed a lot of complete families immigrating; a few of my last migrant waves have been 40% children/babies.
Pages: 1 2 [3]