Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skyjacker - Kickstarter project and space combat sim  (Read 1534 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skyjacker - Kickstarter project and space combat sim
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:24:18 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitilus/al-skyjacker

So am I only one who thinks that it looks and sounds great?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Skyjacker - Kickstarter project and space combat sim
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:31:38 pm »

Reminds me of Descent 3. And heck, they even have a demo.

The downside: Kickstarter's getting a little saturated with good game ideas. I'm sure this is good game quality, but the only games that'll really push the bar in it will be the great ones. I'm not sure flying around in space shooting things is going to be deep enough to make a great game, and from the looks of the video, that's the kind of game play they're aiming for.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:45:56 pm »

Yeah, Kickstarter thing seems to be getting on nerves of some people for some reason. Anyway, I don't really think that deep = automatically good or that good game needs to be deep, but reading what is written on the page they do seem to aim it to be deep or at least do some things that other flying around in space shooting things games don't do.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:51:37 pm »

X: Serie anyone? make me think of that, more *realist* than X3 in flight and combat terms tho
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:57:45 pm »

As attractive as "pewpewpew" can be, my response was essentially 'eh'. :|

Not to mention the voice effects were obnoxious even for the short duration of the video, and the music wasn't much better. SF sounds shouldn't equate to earbleed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:01:16 am »

Not to mention the voice effects were obnoxious even for the short duration of the video, and the music wasn't much better. SF sounds shouldn't equate to earbleed.

I think voices were actually part of the music... Mainly because they list voices as things they have left to do and voices play out even when they are showing customizing your ship.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 12:05:09 am »

I think voices were actually part of the music... Mainly because they list voices as things they have left to do and voices play out even when they are showing customizing your ship.

In either case, I'm wondering how they manage to listen to it without cringing. I'm not meaning to be overly negative; I'm sure the game will be decent, as long as they finish it, but not something I would consider spending more than a few dollars on, and things like annoying music absolutely kill interest. I guess my confusion over that was because it sounded like a lot of the voices were spewing stuff about shields being down, etc. (when they were understandable).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 12:16:16 am »

In either case, I'm wondering how they manage to listen to it without cringing. I'm not meaning to be overly negative; I'm sure the game will be decent, as long as they finish it, but not something I would consider spending more than a few dollars on, and things like annoying music absolutely kill interest. I guess my confusion over that was because it sounded like a lot of the voices were spewing stuff about shields being down, etc. (when they were understandable).

Yeah, I at first thought it was in game voices too, but I realized around time when high pitched voice kept still talking even though they were editing ship that it was part of music.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 10:45:09 am »

I used to be skeptical of kickstarter but with this project I feel it would be an awful shame if they could not reach their goal after presenting so much excellent content.

I hope the oversaturation of kickstarter doesn't hurt this game. I'm going to support them when i get the chance.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 11:10:56 am »

they didn't show anything that really make them stand out from the other thousand awesome project on kickstarter, but I like that killing a large ship doesn't mean endless strafing, that was to me the annoying part of x3