Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Good SNES RPGs?  (Read 7323 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good SNES RPGs?
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2012, 09:41:36 pm »

That'd be hell on an iPod.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2012, 09:48:26 pm »

That'd be hell on an iPod.

Mmm... good point. Maybe if we linked two iPods together... or not.  :o

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2012, 09:54:12 pm »

That and two iPods= lots more than a DS. Anybody know a good class switching RPG like FF V?

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2012, 07:10:50 am »

Any of those RPGs happen NOT to be super grindy? And without random encounters?
Dark Law has a limit on one encounter per visit in a room and too weak monsters stop appearing at all. I don't recall there being much of grinding in it, just make sure one of your characters is a thief in the beginning so you get the unlock skill.

Lufia 2 has no random encounters in dungeons and monsters are easily avoided most of the time if you wish. I remember the game being easy so I don't think there could have been much grinding.

Two games I liked that haven't been mentioned yet, except the link to AGTP, are Shin Megami Tensei 1 & 2. Actually I see the first one was already brought up, but anyhow.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:13:10 am by Carlos Gustavos »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 10:22:43 am »

Pretty sure there's not much, if any grindan in Live A Live.  Mostly run-in-to-badguy style fights, too, if that.

I probably should talk more about it, shouldn't I?

Basically, Live A Live's broken into seven or so little chapters, and each plays quite differently.  One plays like an adventure game - there's a final boss fight and a for-fun gauntlet battle, and that's it.  There are a couple things that will kill you, but they're not fights.  Another is kinda like a fighting game, in that you pick your opponent, and then it goes directly to the fight.  Then there's the cowboy chapter, which has one or two duels between the two characters, and then only one fight otherwise.  The ninja chapter actually has a different ending if you don't kill any people that you don't have to finishing it.

IIRC, the chapters are:

- Caveman: A love story.  I actually got stuck on this one, because there's some RUBY WEAPON sorta optional boss that I couldn't find, and due to completionism I progress without slaying he.  It's cute, otherwise, and, as appropriate, there's text at all.
- Kung fu: You're an aged master, looking to train a successor.  You find three promising young 'uns...
- Ninja: You're sent to rescue someone from an enemy castle.  Sorta - I'm pretty sure it enables you to just blaze a trail of bodies, but you can also sneak dat shit, and you can even turn around and leave as soon as you get to the castle.  It ends badly, of course, but still.
- Cowboy: You and your pardner macguyver traps together to take down a gang.  Depending on how well you do, you could be fighting 16 guys (which is kinda worth it, just to see how they Tetris that many badguys onto the battlefield) or just the singular bossman.
- Modern: The aforementioned fighting game.  You can learn moves from your opponents by getting hit by them!  That part's kinda important.  The sumo and the hulk are hard.
- Near Future: Basically anime.  Has some pretty awesome music, and you get crazy mindbullets and also an oldschool mecha.
- Sci Fi: You're on a spaceship, heading back to Earth.  It was the first one I played, and I'm not sure if it was a good or bad choice, but I know I'd recommend you do it first too, honk.

Battles are on a 7x7 grid - each move has a certain range and shape (ex: most of the basic attacks would be able to hit in any direction, but more powerful attacks might only aim in a + or X pattern, or a unique blast pattern, stuff like that), and powerful moves may take some time to charge up.  Items and equipment aren't that big a deal, and health goes back to full after every fight.  When a character's HP hits 0, they're knocked out - you can still heal them at that point, but they CAN be hit again, at which point they're removed from the battle until you win.  I believe it's sorta turn based - when I played, enemies seemed to move as you did, but if you took too long to decide where to move, they'd move on their own, including attacking you.

Also includes music by Yoko Shimomura!

There's some HFS I didn't mention, also, honk.

I also recommend Super Mario RPG, which I am ashamed to have forgotten to recommend.  Shimomura did the music for that as well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:24:36 am by Farce »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2012, 11:04:47 am »

- Super Mario RPG
Yes! Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I believe it's the only collaboration between Square and Nintendo, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's a damn good game.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2012, 11:13:54 am »

- Super Mario RPG
Yes! Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I believe it's the only collaboration between Square and Nintendo, but I could be wrong. Either way, it's a damn good game.

Too bad Geno was, and still is, owned by Square.

I mean, it would've been fun to see him as a character in... say, the Mario & Luigi series?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2012, 11:15:28 am »

I mean, it would've been fun to see him as a character in... say, the Mario & Luigi series?

Funny you say that. He had a cameo there: http://www.mariowiki.com/geno#Mario_.26_Luigi:_Superstar_Saga

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2012, 01:46:12 pm »

Oh yea, live a live. Get a translated version and play it. Its one of the most unique and awesome rpgs on the snes. Easily the best RPG that japan decided to keep for themselves.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]