Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Good SNES RPGs?  (Read 7333 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Good SNES RPGs?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:29 am »

E2: Echoing Robotrek, actually. There was something about that game, especially the music for some bloody reason, that really stuck with me. Just now starting up a game of it -- it literally feels like nostalgia to me... so many hours on the SNES getting my ass kicked by this game, aiee.

Yeah, I remember this game being so hard. I was forced in my very old playthrough to specialize in only the attack stat, which effectively made me a glass cannon. IIRC, robots resurrected themselves after battle, right?

Lufia 2 was fun. Especially the Ancient Cave, which was basically a roguelike. Difficulty skyrocketed as soon as you reached floor 20, and made running and avoiding enemies a viable strategy.

You're better off playing Ultima in your PC than in the snes. The controls sucked. Oh, and Nintendo had some stuff censored, as per their usual rules of censoring religious stuff and the like.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:03:55 am by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 12:02:47 am »

E: Also, you can nab the translation for Super Robot Wars 3 on the same site. Do this, yes? Yes.

Fair warning with this, super robot wars 3 is hard as BALLS. Easily the hardest in the series, and not always for the right reasons. Still worth a look, but just be aware that this game will kick you around if you're not ready for it.  :P

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 12:05:57 am »

E2: Echoing Robotrek, actually. There was something about that game, especially the music for some bloody reason, that really stuck with me. Just now starting up a game of it -- it literally feels like nostalgia to me... so many hours on the SNES getting my ass kicked by this game, aiee.
Yeah, I remember this game being so hard. I was forced in my very old playthrough to specialize in only the attack stat, which effectively made me a glass cannon. IIRC, robots resurrected themselves after battle, right?
I remember there was this stupid component-- Scrap AB or something like that, which drove me mad as I could never, ever find a use for. If my memory serves me correctly, it turns out that the item it was supposed to make was removed. Nnnngah!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 12:08:23 am »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:45 am »

Live A Live, man.

Backing this up, Live a Live is amazing too.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 12:37:22 am »

Dunno what's been mentioned, but I'll throw in my two cents:

Shadowrun: Very loosely based on the tabletop game of the same name, has you running around a dystopia shooting hitmen and trying to recover your memory. Had a pretty cool (imho) conversation system. Considered by some to be the best video game based on Shadowrun.

Super Mario RPG: The grandaddy of the Paper Mario series (without the paper aspects), this was a joint effort between Squaresoft (or was it Enix? One of the two) and Nintendo that had a fun turn-based combat system and introduced a bunch of original characters that will likely never show up in an official game ever again. Also has some platforming sections.

EVO: The Search for Eden: A bizarre title in which you started as a fish and slowly "evolved" to be bigger, stronger, faster, etc. Loads of grind and a somewhat nonsensical storyline turn off some players, but combat was real-time and actually attack-based; iirc, there was no simple collision damage.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 12:51:21 am »

EVO: The Search for Eden: A bizarre title in which you started as a fish and slowly "evolved" to be bigger, stronger, faster, etc. Loads of grind and a somewhat nonsensical storyline turn off some players, but combat was real-time and actually attack-based; iirc, there was no simple collision damage.

Oooh, EVO was a fun one. I'd say it's more of what you'd get with a fusion between RPG and platformer, to sum it up briefly.

There was collision, but it was minimal damage unless you were walking into something where collision was its primary mode of attack (or would logically be, like a nautilus that tries to ram you).
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 01:31:54 am »

Yep, EVO was rad too. To be fair, it's more action based, rather then turn based, but it definitely has "exp" and "level" mechanics. Really nice though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 01:41:48 am »

EVO was a bizarre game. It's defiantly a an underrated game that is worth playing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 01:52:47 am »

Shiren the Wanderer. It's part rogue like, and quite a lot of fun. It needs a translation patch, but Aeon Genesis has that covered.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 02:48:55 am »

Lufia 2 and all three of the Dark Gaia line (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma). I'll probably catch a bit of flak for this, but I'd say that Terranigma was the greatest game of the RPG genre for SNES.
Thank you for mentioning Terranigma, I forgot the game's title, I didn't know that Soul Blazer was part of this series. But I realized they shared the same feel in the atmosphere or something.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 03:29:27 am »

Lufia 2 and all three of the Dark Gaia line (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma). I'll probably catch a bit of flak for this, but I'd say that Terranigma was the greatest game of the RPG genre for SNES.
Thank you for mentioning Terranigma, I forgot the game's title, I didn't know that Soul Blazer was part of this series. But I realized they shared the same feel in the atmosphere or something.
They're not officially part of a series, but they're all made by Quintet [and published by Enix], have a similar control system and are grounded around similar themes, so some circles have taken to considering them a trilogy.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 03:35:02 am »

They're also very tenuously connected.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No plot relevance though, no.  :P

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 10:07:44 am »

I think it's obvious, OP, that the answer to your question is "All of them."

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:50 pm »

- Ogre Battle
 - Tactics Ogre

Excellent strategy/rpgs with heavy army customization and tons of different endings. The series (which also includes Ogre Battle 64, Ogre Battle Gaiden and Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis) is well loved by history buffs for having some of the most biting socio/political commentary in a video game series.

Back in the 90's, I thought for sure that video games would mature as a medium into something where Ogre Battle's style of storytelling wasn't uncommon. Sadly, I was wrong.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:06:00 pm by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4