Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Good SNES RPGs?  (Read 7322 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good SNES RPGs?
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:04:28 pm »

So, through some means, I managed to acquire a good set up to play SNES games. I don't know what our policy on those less legal/moral ways of getting things are, so I'll just say that they shouldn't be something where I'll have to rapidly press buttons. I already have FF III, and I was looking for other things. On a side note, Ted Woolsey is ruining my childhood. His botched translation is different from the FF VI Advance one that I'm used to... and the save screens and lack of dialogue portraits made me think of RM2k3. Awful memories. So, just post some recommendations, and I'll probably download them and give them a try.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Good SNES RPGs?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:40 pm »

I didn't play very many SNES rpgs, but how about Earthbound and Metal Max Returns? Both of those are some of my favorite JRPG games.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:07:14 pm »

Shadowrun.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:07:41 pm »

Rock and Roll Racing Disregard me.  I didn't discover the glory of RPGs until much later.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:08:11 pm »

Earthbound is always a nice choice, and metal max returns is REALLY good if you're one of those guys that hates linearity in JRPGs. Also if you enjoy blowing up fuel cans with spider legs with tank shells, I'll back up Janet's reccomendations.

Ummm.... FF2/4 (the one with cecil) is always a nice choice, you mentioned 3/6... Chrono trigger is good, uhhhh...

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »

just throwing some names in here:

-Bahamut lagoon (final fantasy-ish, pretty good)
-breath of fire 2
-chrono trigger
-romancing saga 3
-secret of mana 1+2
-secret of evermore
-illusion of gaia
-star ocean
-terranigma
-tales of phantasia
-treasure hunter g
-secret of the stars
-lufia 1+2

edit:
-fire emblem
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:38:47 pm by Nelia Hawk »

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 10:36:53 pm »

I'll probably grab FF 2 and Earthbound. It's just sort of iron that the first FF games I played were on the GBA, and going back to the originals is so...weird... to the point that the music feels different! So far, everything but Narshe has had different instruments than the Advance ones.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 10:59:19 pm »

- Super Mario RPG
- Chrono Trigger
- FF4 - 6 (FF5 wasn't released in the US, so look for some fanslated version off the webs, unless you speak and understand moon runes)
- Robotrek (Kind of obscure, but you construct your own robots. Not as great as the others on this list, but worth a check.)
- Earthbound
- Secret of Mana/Evermore
- Terranigma
- Lufia 2 (1st was a generic game, 2 is miles better, and is a prequel to boot.)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:08:47 pm »

Oh man, Bahamut lagoon is AWESOME and I highly reccomend it. Think strategy RPG + JRPG + very basic terrain deformation (IE, cast ice magic on water, water freezes and you can walk across it, fire on a forest, sets the forest on fire and units in the forest take damage. It is RAD.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 11:13:36 pm »

This list is a good place to start~ Fair amount of stuff already mentioned's on it, but there's a few more. Everything already listed in thread is golden.

If you can read moonspeak or can hunt down a good FAQ for it, check out Chaos Seed... though it is an action RPG. A bloody frakking awesome one.

E: Also, you can nab the translation for Super Robot Wars 3 on the same site. Do this, yes? Yes.

E2: Echoing Robotrek, actually. There was something about that game, especially the music for some bloody reason, that really stuck with me. Just now starting up a game of it -- it literally feels like nostalgia to me... so many hours on the SNES getting my ass kicked by this game, aiee.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:26:12 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 11:18:06 pm »

Any Front mission game you can find. The two I specifically know about, one is a tactical mech game, the other is a sidescrolling mech game. Both have AMAZING stories.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 11:20:21 pm »

The fourth generation was a good one for RPGs

I have to vouch for Chrono Trigger, it's got a unique battle mechanic and the story is pretty cool.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »

FFIV.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 11:55:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure that there's SNES versions of Ultima 5/6/7. Six is a little bit broken from what I've read, but the others probably aren't bad.

There's also Pirates! Gold, which is a fun little open ended rpg'ish game. It depends if you think more gold, guns, men and ships is essentially equivalent to levelling.
It's a game. Have fun.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 11:57:27 pm »

Lufia 2 and all three of the Dark Gaia line (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma). I'll probably catch a bit of flak for this, but I'd say that Terranigma was the greatest game of the RPG genre for SNES.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-
Pages: [1] 2 3 4