Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombie Playground AKA Too Much Kickstarter  (Read 1546 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Zombie Playground AKA Too Much Kickstarter
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:13:04 pm »

Ever seen this picture?

Zombie Playground - Zombie shooter parody, Borderlands style with loads of customization, from the makers of Dragon Age, Bully, Infamous, and motherfucking Erich Schaefer of Diablos 1 and 2 and the Torchlight games.

Only Kickstarter I've seen yet where they're gauging the scale of the development by the money they get.  But there you go.

Goddammit, every awesome idea has a Kickstarter now.  I'm sorely tempted to start spending money.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Playground AKA Too Much Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 10:02:11 pm »

I'm honestly concerned about the sorta reaction this is gonna get. But if it does actually get released playing around as a little girl kicking zombie ass sounds fun.

Wonder how far customization is gonna go. Since they mention classes and characters interchangeably sometimes. Maybe at the very least hair and colors and stuff? And being able to switch clothes sounds nice at least. (I wonder if you're forced to wear shoes too. I still can't help but cringe a bit when my representation in game needs to wear those. Must be so uncomfortable! D.)
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 10:05:57 pm »

What was that game where you're in a huge mall, and there's zombies?  Anything is a weapon and you can easily dress your protagonist in frilly pink skirts and roll around on a tricycle while bashing zombies to death with a patio umbrella?

Yeah, Zombie Playground will have no trouble at all.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:09:14 pm »

Dead Rising didn't have a cast of children. That's what I'm concerned about giving them problems here.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 10:21:12 pm »

It's a legit concern.  But then, Bully does exist.  Really depends on how gory it is, and what kind of attention it gets right before launch.

Wonder how far customization is gonna go. Since they mention classes and characters interchangeably sometimes.

Yeah, that was the other thing that made me think of Borderlands, and not in a good way.  I don't want my character looks automatically tied to my gameplay abilities.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 10:24:07 pm »

The first thing I said when I saw that image was 'Oh my fucking god, yes.' out loud. Not something I'd really buy, but holy crap that just seems like a really fun concept.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:05:16 pm »

I'm fairly tempted to donate for it. They've obviously got the talent and the imagination to run with it, and the idea of playing with nostalgia and childish imagination is brilliant (Holy cow those characters are cute!), but the whole "children beating up child zombies" might cause a bit of a media stir. They're definitely going into the realm of products that offend, but at least it's not designed to offend, unlike some games. From what it looks like they'll be fairly conservative with blood and such. The zombies look more like crypt-walkers with black blood than fresh meat and oozing. They were pretty clear that it isn't geared towards kids, though, so I dunno.

My main concern is whether or not they'll be able to achieve the scope that they're looking for, though. Playing as a kid is cool and all, but having $2 million of game being the point where they can complete just the school seems a little odd. Fighting zombies in a school sounds fun, but that better be one dang interesting school if that's all there is when the game is "done". They're also not clear on what the goals and/or missions will be, which is fairly important for setting the mood. Knowing what I'll be doing in that school beyond fighting zombie hordes would do a lot to ease my hesitation.

And if I were rich, I would totally be the principle. That sounds freaking awesome.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:07:55 pm »

I sincerely hope that the Kickstarter business model will go out of style soon, most of these projects won't really go anywhere. Good idea, I just don't see it happening.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.