Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407057 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3135 on: May 13, 2017, 09:04:15 pm »

Ohey, on the topic of Arms Races, what do people think of an Interplanetary Arms Race?

One system, 2 colonies, and 7 planets between them in 3 lines. (Lane 2 only has 2 planets as well as the only non-colony habitable planet).
The background is that Earth sent sleeper colony ships to a system a fairly small amount of years before the game starts. Both sides, representing one of the two colonies, start with the exact same things and same terrain. There's a lore reason for this - both colonies were part of the same expedition and haven't had time to develop a unique technology set or culture.

So people just start out with a crappy unarmored space suit, expensive interplanetary transport craft, crappier pistol, and an expensive large radio beacon for interplanetary communication that they can't even bring to new planets. And some also crappy Kevlar armor, but that's extremely expensive and only limited to habitable planets. (So either the one planet in Lane 2 or the colonies themselves).

I've changed a few mechanics from the regular Arms Race "ruleset":
  • Less abstraction of military assets - Each colony has 5 "units" very roughly representing a battalion and accompanying support+logistic structures. Units can be sent to different planets.
  • Different Expense system - When rolling for expense (designs roll for Effectiveness, Expense, and Bugs like in Wands Race + probably other games too), you just get a d5 plus some modifiers based on what you're trying to do. The end expense level is the number of Units that can be equipped with that design. So if your Death Ray has an Expense Level of 2, only 2 units can have it equipped. The actual distribution in a single equipped Unit is just "reasonable". If you give a unit tanks, they're going to have a detachment of tanks in their Unit; not everyone gets a tank. Etc.
  • Transport - In addition to lanes (weird for taking place in a solar system, but whatever), equipment (designs) and Units must be transported via interplanetary craft. Spacecraft have a CU level representing their total cargo capacity. Units weigh 2 CU, Resources weigh 3 CU, and designs have variable CU costs.
  • Research Points - Instead of separate Design/Revision phases, there's one "Research Phase" in which each Colony gets 100 Research Points. A Design costs 75 RP and a Revision 25 RP. Research points can be saved between turns up to a total of 200. In the Strategy phase people can also choose to spend 10 RP to give a Unit some special orders.

And as far as I know, the entire thing's ready for posting. To be 100% honest, I'm not sure if I can completely handle the commitment but worst case scenario I'll either hand it off or people won't be interested anyways. I mostly wanted to get some feedback to the systems before I posted it.
So; thoughts?

(@Ocean: See the Warhammer 40k orcs.)

I'd play it, I've always regretted not getting in on the Wands race when it was on the ground level.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: May 15, 2017, 09:11:41 am »

Did some thinking.

Now with more details! Slightly. It's hard to translate what I have in my head to the screen.

Spoiler: WAAAAGH Race (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Culinary Race (click to show/hide)
I would post something about the Von Neumann race, but somebody else took the sci-fi angle already.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: May 15, 2017, 09:25:43 am »

I'd give you advice for what could also be done in the Culinary race, but I don't want the ideas to go to whichever side I don't take.

But seriously, you should consider where new restaurants could be made (both on a specific-building level and city-district level), multiple resturaunts in different areas for different tastes (selling French cuisine AND American burgers & fries in the same place would be awkward), and price modulation.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: May 15, 2017, 09:32:15 am »

But seriously, you should consider where new restaurants could be made (both on a specific-building level and city-district level), multiple resturaunts in different areas for different tastes (selling French cuisine AND American burgers & fries in the same place would be awkward), and price modulation.
I've already considered several of those angles.

A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: May 15, 2017, 10:41:23 am »

I've already considered several of those angles.

You may want Ethnicity to influence the relative Skill level. Some cooks are more experiences in cooking certain types of food, so it should be easier for them to cook foods of their own Ethnicity specialty. Also, how would you handle Fusion foods? Prep time may occasionally need to be put in two parts, for when a food takes differing amounts of time preparing the night before and actually making. Also, Appearence should matter, especially in food competitions.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: May 19, 2017, 06:02:21 am »

Right so im considering what game to run next, which do people like better?
A loyalist warhammer 40k game, basicy a counter part to Death to the false emperor.
Or A Conan-esque adventurer game something RPG like and simple.

Or shud i return to running one of my pasted games?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: May 19, 2017, 09:53:47 pm »

Idea: suggestion game adventure in which you the players are a clone trooper currently in middle of a mission.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: May 20, 2017, 03:32:47 am »

How much there would be interest in magical research and development game? The premise is accidental discovery of magic-like effects by a single man, so it would start off as a suggestion game, but individual player characters would become available as soon as the first magician decides to teach/share his art. IC timespan of turns should be somewhere from few days to months, depending of what's happening.

There isn't any particular long term goal other than trying to understand magic and exploit it for your own ends.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: May 20, 2017, 03:50:09 am »

That definitely seems awesome. I've always loved the kind of design/development games (which is very evident in games I've ran/participated in) and if stuff like your Supersoldier RtD is any indicator, something like that from you would be great.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: May 20, 2017, 08:02:39 am »

Could there be other small groups that found/acknowledge magic on their own? Will there be a pre-set way that magic works? To what degree can we choose the type of magic we found? Will there be several options as to who the first character is?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: May 20, 2017, 08:56:45 am »

Could there be other small groups that found/acknowledge magic on their own? Will there be a pre-set way that magic works? To what degree can we choose the type of magic we found? Will there be several options as to who the first character is?

The way magic is set up makes multiple simultaneous discoveries nearly impossible. That's not to say everybody have to be member of the same club forever.
Basic rules are set to stone, but I'm trying to ensure it is flexible like Perplexicon.
I'm contemplating if I should decide the first spell randomly or let players suggest one. Letting players decide could ensure profitable or effective start up, but deciding it by myself would ensure it will be within rules.
I was planning to have the first magician predefined albeit unnamed, mainly because this style of magic requires certain existing skills, interests and other undisclosed requirements to be able to discover it in first place. It doesn't give a lot of leeway for starting options. At most options for the first characters would affect difficulty, I think.

That definitely seems awesome. I've always loved the kind of design/development games (which is very evident in games I've ran/participated in) and if stuff like your Supersoldier RtD is any indicator, something like that from you would be great.

Combining aspects of the supersoldier game and Perplexicon kinda was the plan. Thanks for your kind words, but to quote someone wise: "There is always room to fuck up. Always."
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: June 11, 2017, 03:56:46 pm »

So I took the old Ancorage concept of building up your points with cards, and then I looked at my SPAMKINGDOM lore and thought...

...why the heck not?

Spoiler: AiWiDR Cards (click to show/hide)

Whaddaya think? ;v
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:58:13 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: June 11, 2017, 06:08:16 pm »

Do all players reveal cards at the same time?

Do cards played on a turn effect other cards played on that turn?

Otherwise it looks like it just needs a ton of play testing to balance and see if it is fun.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: June 11, 2017, 11:23:29 pm »

Hmm, fair points. I will introduce some sort of 'turn order'.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: June 12, 2017, 10:58:06 am »

Added a Turn order, made the 'card type <> faction' relations more clear, and added 9 new cards. Any thoughts?

Or should I just make up a test game thread and see how it goes in practice? Not sure :Vc

Testgame thread is up!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:10:55 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 238