Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407103 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3120 on: April 27, 2017, 01:15:37 pm »

Hotlink protection against bandwidth theft, perhaps.  Just be glad it simply blocks the incoming request and doesn't replace it with something...ah worse.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:17:33 pm by Culise »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: May 01, 2017, 04:58:09 pm »

So, I was working on an upcoming cyberpunk RtD of mine when I had a realization: this is just a worse version of Shadowrun. There was less possible mission variety, less compelling lore, less gadget variety, that sort of thing. The only advantage my system had over Shadowrun was its simplicity.

Because of this I scrapped it. So now I ask, would it be a good idea to try to run a PBP Shadowrun game on this forum (perhaps with a few rules simplified at the very start) or would it be too complex? Note, I've never gmed a shadowrun game before.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: May 06, 2017, 05:19:05 pm »

HACKENVANIA NEEDS YOU!

Put bluntly, it's a Castlevania: Cooperative hack'n'slash: The forumgame :V
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: May 13, 2017, 02:13:37 pm »

Think I might run some sort of magical or super technological arms race soon. Now the question it... what kind?

Vote now!

Aspect Arms Race: Each side has an Aspect Machine that can take an aspect from something and infuse it into something else. For example, extract Fox aspect from foxes and infuse it into people to make Fox people.

Neumann Replicators Race: Each side(there may be more than two) is a collective of self-replicating devices that must adapt to conquer the galaxy.

Culinary Race: Each side is a team of chefs that must compete to create the best food and conquer the Grand Restaurant!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: May 13, 2017, 02:14:16 pm »

NEUMANN REPLICATORS.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: May 13, 2017, 02:23:04 pm »

Culinary race has my vote.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: May 13, 2017, 02:24:14 pm »

The first one sounds good, but a combination of the first two ideas might be interesting: Everyone has an aspect, and they're trying to spread its dominance throughout the world, putting their aspects upon other things while also being able to add others' aspects to part of their own forces to get stronger.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: May 13, 2017, 02:39:11 pm »

Neumann Replicators sounds neat.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: May 13, 2017, 03:29:39 pm »

The first one sounds good, but a combination of the first two ideas might be interesting: Everyone has an aspect, and they're trying to spread its dominance throughout the world, putting their aspects upon other things while also being able to add others' aspects to part of their own forces to get stronger.
So, kind of like the Zerg? +1 to this, regardless of the answer to my (rhetorical?) question.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: May 13, 2017, 03:58:55 pm »

So, kind of like the Zerg? +1 to this, regardless of the answer to my (rhetorical?) question.
Hm. I can work with this.

Culinary race has my vote.
That said, I'll also work on this on the side, given it's my personal preference.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: May 13, 2017, 04:49:37 pm »

I'll vote Aspect.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: May 13, 2017, 04:56:28 pm »

I'm not entirely familiar with them. What I was thinking of was something like this: Aspects can be found in limited quantities in the environment, or in infinite, slowly yet constantly regenerating amounts around some hub or core of the Aspect. The energy, etc. provided by Hubs would make them natural centers of society, causing big, important cities, usually capitals, to be built around them to make use of/protect them. Cores could be 'infected' with other aspects, provided that the Core of that aspect is accessible, allowing the infected Core to be controlled by the infecting Core while strengthening the latter.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: May 13, 2017, 08:21:01 pm »

Had one more idea.

WAAAAGH Race.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: May 13, 2017, 08:29:23 pm »

Had one more idea.

WAAAAGH Race.
Ok, I have no idea what this means. WAAAAGH seems like something that would be said in rage. So, an arms race based on rage. Or a rage-inducing arms race. Is WAAAAGH an acronym?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: May 13, 2017, 08:31:58 pm »

Ohey, on the topic of Arms Races, what do people think of an Interplanetary Arms Race?

One system, 2 colonies, and 7 planets between them in 3 lines. (Lane 2 only has 2 planets as well as the only non-colony habitable planet).
The background is that Earth sent sleeper colony ships to a system a fairly small amount of years before the game starts. Both sides, representing one of the two colonies, start with the exact same things and same terrain. There's a lore reason for this - both colonies were part of the same expedition and haven't had time to develop a unique technology set or culture.

So people just start out with a crappy unarmored space suit, expensive interplanetary transport craft, crappier pistol, and an expensive large radio beacon for interplanetary communication that they can't even bring to new planets. And some also crappy Kevlar armor, but that's extremely expensive and only limited to habitable planets. (So either the one planet in Lane 2 or the colonies themselves).

I've changed a few mechanics from the regular Arms Race "ruleset":
  • Less abstraction of military assets - Each colony has 5 "units" very roughly representing a battalion and accompanying support+logistic structures. Units can be sent to different planets.
  • Different Expense system - When rolling for expense (designs roll for Effectiveness, Expense, and Bugs like in Wands Race + probably other games too), you just get a d5 plus some modifiers based on what you're trying to do. The end expense level is the number of Units that can be equipped with that design. So if your Death Ray has an Expense Level of 2, only 2 units can have it equipped. The actual distribution in a single equipped Unit is just "reasonable". If you give a unit tanks, they're going to have a detachment of tanks in their Unit; not everyone gets a tank. Etc.
  • Transport - In addition to lanes (weird for taking place in a solar system, but whatever), equipment (designs) and Units must be transported via interplanetary craft. Spacecraft have a CU level representing their total cargo capacity. Units weigh 2 CU, Resources weigh 3 CU, and designs have variable CU costs.
  • Research Points - Instead of separate Design/Revision phases, there's one "Research Phase" in which each Colony gets 100 Research Points. A Design costs 75 RP and a Revision 25 RP. Research points can be saved between turns up to a total of 200. In the Strategy phase people can also choose to spend 10 RP to give a Unit some special orders.

And as far as I know, the entire thing's ready for posting. To be 100% honest, I'm not sure if I can completely handle the commitment but worst case scenario I'll either hand it off or people won't be interested anyways. I mostly wanted to get some feedback to the systems before I posted it.
So; thoughts?

EDIT: Changed Research Points. It's frankly a bit too gimmick-y for the complexity it adds.

(@Ocean: See the Warhammer 40k orcs.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 09:25:01 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 238