Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407265 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #3030 on: March 11, 2017, 12:32:44 am »

Mages mages mages mages

Magicka-style?
No, like that colony builder thing you were an omnibold in, only hopefully better designed. Rather than combining Arcane+Earth or Arcane+Arcane buttons/elements to produce a laser, you use your skill in Destruction to project something and your skill in some kind of energy manipulation to make that something said energy, then specify you're projecting said energy in the form of a solid beam. And, of course, roll a [1], point-blanking yourself with it instead.

I might like the magic game. The floating-island part reminds me of an idea I had.
Sounds pretty similar, except I'd been thinking more jumping ship for better islands than breaking chunks off to build up yours. Players hate leaving absolutely anything behind, though, so maybe that'd be a better idea.
I thought that *I* was the one who played the omnibold...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: March 11, 2017, 12:34:58 am »

Yeah, I was confused by that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:10 am »

I've been considering making a game based off the game Oxygen not Included. Still thinking about some of the kinks to iron out, but the idea is growing on me. Anyone interested?
Never played, so I can't have much of an opinion.

I thought that *I* was the one who played the omnibold...
Yeah, I was confused by that.
Whoops.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: March 13, 2017, 10:40:20 am »

So, I was looking at Spamwarlord, and then decided to try and come up with another Spamgame. Spamlabrynth came to mind, though it could easily be too Warren-like, and it doesn't make sense for the players to be the labrynth. Then, there would be the matter of what the general goal(s) would be. Should the players aim to help the travellers of the labyrinth get through, or prevent them from getting the loot deep within? IS there even loot to claim, or is the end itself what's desired by the travelers?

...What about a balance of those two? Players control the labrynth in hopes of helping travellers reach the depths, but they'll need loot to make it there. Travellers gain Loot from beating the labyrinth's puzzles, traps, and monsters, but the reward scales with difficulty, so the players must tune the difficulty to fit the party(s). I know this stopped seeming like a Spamgame, but it was still an interesting idea, so I continued. Since it isn't a spamgame, maybe it shouldn't be a suggestion game, either. One one hand, a normal, individual player format would mean letting multiple characters do multiple things in the labyrinth at once, which could get rather chaotic, and is harder to keep track of, but then again, maybe the individuality and chaos would be a Good thing.

There should probably be some sort of resource system for how much can be made. X amount for a room of size Y, with a multiplier of Z for an aspect of it. The multipliers could add to the cost if they're beneficial (contains treasure, few/no enemies, heal point), or subtract, saving cost for challenges (a door requires a key to pass, high amount of enemies, trapped, hard to move across). How would resource be regained, though? Travelers completing a room, returning part of the original cost? Maybe after an amount of time, whether by floor or per turn. Challenges might also give resource based on difficulty when completed. Maybe, instead of being a limit, some resource could allow certain things to be added. Maybe a randomized aspect, gained every so often, can be consumed to create a special room, miniboss, or piece of loot based off it. Maybe those would be the basis of the floor's theme, whether gaining some pre-chosen ones based on the floor's theme, or the chosen among random aspects being the theme itself.

I though up a few more things, but I'm still considering them, so I'd like to ask what you all think of this first.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:37:49 am by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: March 17, 2017, 02:42:00 am »

Hmmmm. Current list in head

In Your Image
Project Fate
Aegis Program
Black Isle
Spam Command.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:47:54 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: March 17, 2017, 08:39:06 pm »

In Your Image: Mad scientist Roger.

Project Fate: Your super people hunted by government.

Aegis: Your nets humans via government surgery to defeat monsters threatening humanity.

Black Isle: Straight up horror game. On a mission exploring a newly discovered island. Bad things happen.

Spam Command: Goant monsters attack humanity. Your in charge of dealing with it. Managing resources and crew and research and projects. To bring the big buggers down.

Edit: Two more adventure themed

Space Frontiers: Outer space adventure.

Myth: Truth of the Gods: A sci di take on mythology as the events happen on Earth rift as dinosaurs died out and before the ice age came about.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:04:07 am by Tyrant Leviathan »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: March 18, 2017, 05:59:50 pm »

So, I was looking at Spamwarlord, and then decided to try and come up with another Spamgame.
What are spamgames, anyway? I see them all over, but I can't figure out what makes them spam.

In Your Image: Mad scientist Roger.
Project Fate: Your super people hunted by government.
Aegis: Your nets humans via government surgery to defeat monsters threatening humanity.
Black Isle: Straight up horror game. On a mission exploring a newly discovered island. Bad things happen.
Spam Command: Goant monsters attack humanity. Your in charge of dealing with it. Managing resources and crew and research and projects. To bring the big buggers down.
Space Frontiers: Outer space adventure.
Myth: Truth of the Gods: A sci di take on mythology as the events happen on Earth rift as dinosaurs died out and before the ice age came about.
With just this it's hard to have an opinion on most of them. Like, "Outer space adventure," really? That could be soooooo many different things.

So if I was going to run a mage game, most likely it'd be in the image of my other mage games. Specifically, you have a bunch of skills you can use to more or less freeform create spell effects, you combine them for more complex/nuanced effects, and you gain experience in them by doing them. Bonuses or maluses to rolls apply inverted to experience gains, so more dangerous and reckless actions teach you more, while safer actions aren't as illuminating.

Currently, I'm mostly confident of the following schools:
Spoiler: Current Spell Schools (click to show/hide)
So the obvious example for combining these skills would be Necromancy, which can raise the dead, with elemental magics, which can control their element, in order to create Fire Zombies or Ice Zombies or Glass Zombies or whatever else. Why somebody would want to create zombies whose flesh has been partially turned to glass is another matter entirely.

However, there's somewhat more nuance to spell combinations than this, in two different ways. One, combinations are not literally just dumping everything into one pile, so combining Protection with Destruction to shield yourself while attacking won't work- at least, not unless you can explain how a single spell is using both capabilities to achieve the desired result. On the other hand, using Destruction and Protection to create a spell that weaves around a pillar is entirely possible, because Destruction can provide the force and Protection can provide the resistance to force- that is, the part where it stops going in a direction.

This, in turn, is sort of the ideal for all spell schools: Be intuitive and useful enough to serve on its own, but also nuanced and broad enough to allow interesting interactions when one gets down into the guts of it.

I have two bits I'm struggling with on this front. The first is which schools to use; as mentioned, I'd ideally want each school to be useful both on its own and with others, but I also want to make sure players have the tools to make whatever kind of character they want.

So ideas for new schools or bases to cover, questions about how to achieve specific ends, or critiques of the ones I've got up there would be nice.

The second thing I'm struggling with is power level. I would like some nuance between Knows Fire Magic and Does Not Know Fire Magic, and traditionally I've used a five tier list for this: Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, Master. The problem is that this invariably ends up mushy and hard to use; players and GM alike consistently have difficulty figuring out what level an effect is liable to be. I'm not sure if I need a new system, should condense the old one, need to better clarify exactly what metrics put an effect into what level, or what.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: March 18, 2017, 06:07:34 pm »

What are spamgames, anyway? I see them all over, but I can't figure out what makes them spam.

They seem to be SGs with really short fast updates that railroad players into making picks from one of several multiple choice options. I've just gotten into them myself.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: March 18, 2017, 06:20:13 pm »

They seem to be SGs with really short fast updates that railroad players into making picks from one of several multiple choice options. I've just gotten into them myself.

Minimalist management SGs with generate-as-you-go setting elements, usually a Reigns-type resource system and CK2 style decisions. They tend to be reasonably laconic in description and update rapidly, but not more rapidly than most other kinds of games. They're not so much legitimately spammed as they are named after SPAMKINGDOM, the first and best of the genre thus far which ran for 6 months and racked up like 5000 posts. Kind of spammy, but not definitively so.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: March 21, 2017, 09:20:07 am »

Looking at the re-revived Random Spell List, I came up with a spellcrafting game- an Actual game, though distinctly different from that Wands Race currently going on. It would be in the vein of Apples to Apples or Cards Against Humanity, though who played which card(s) would be public knowledge. Essentially, all players would have an amount of cards in their hand, each one describing an object, technique, or other such thing. Some examples would be Phone, Attention, Invocation, Punch, etc. There would be one random "prompt" per round, a prompt being something like "Traffic Jam", "Spell from a Teacher's Spellbook", or "Fighting a Horde of Goblins".
Each round has a different player be the judge, rotating to the player on their right or something. All other players would play 2 or 3 of their cards and describe a spell involving them that would be useful or otherwise applicable to the prompt. Once a spell was played, though, it could not be taken backThe judge hears their arguements, then chooses the "best" spell, whether the most effective, funniest, or perhaps simply the one they like the best. The player that played that spell then gains a point, and the round ends. The winner would be whoever got the most points after X rounds, or the first to reach Y points.

It might not be the best in a forum format, but it could still be fun to try. Any suggestion or changes to the rules? Would anyone want to try and play this?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:55 am »

Have you heard of the card game superfight? It's a pretty similar concept though rather than being about crafting the best spell for a situation, it's about crafting a superhero that can defeat a randomly crafted supervillain. Other than that difference, they're the same. Both involve explaining why your creation is suitable for the encounter, and both have a judge that determines who's creation is the best.

It would be a good idea to look at the rules to get some ideas. As is though, I don't think there are any things that need to be changed. Forum games are surprisingly good for card games, the main issues involve creating a compelling ruleset and making enough balanced cards.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:36 am »

I've heard of Superfight and it's expansions. Not sure what potential expansions this game could have or if it should), but that's for later. And I'll probably just use a slightly extended version of Fniff's list, adding some magic/fantasy words and removing some very situational or useless ones.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: March 22, 2017, 10:57:33 am »

Listening to an album that youtube suggested me.

Never has an album wanted me to make a make a game more.

The cover has a bunch of werewolves in bishop vestments, and the first song is "Sanctified with Dynamite".

It's so ridiculous and wonderful. I love it. Hell, if my combat system gets off the ground, I might use that as my setting. It's just tickles me so much.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: March 22, 2017, 11:53:48 am »

As for space thing it is massive. Because your a captain and assigned points for crew and ship. You yourself get custom rules due to being a captain and the sand box feel is there because multiple galaxies are involved. Thanks to wormholes and class 5 space engines.

Though points are limited and everything has ups and downs.

Aegis I wrote 24 situations and power lists based on fields of super powets.

Alpha/ Spam Command: Its like x com with giant robots vs giant monsters. Decisions and some research development and stuff.

In Your Image : Usrs the 1-5 point limited build as star Frontiers. Just instead of space your a mad scientist with creations and minions.

Project Fate: Much more limited power scale than Aegis as humans are actually a threat given situation.

Black Isle: No stats. Just characters on a forbidden island trying not to die as things get bad.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: March 22, 2017, 02:29:53 pm »

Myth: We are adventurers. Said main characters are " Gods." In this case genetic super beings armed with super tech helping Porto humanity deal with big trouble onnEaryh after the dinosaurs go bye bye ( Said trouble caused that to happen.)

And Space Frontier:

Write up Captain who is a bad ass.

Ship: Has four catergories. 13 points to spend. Have to spend 1 for minimal to have or no dice.

Ship Condition
Size
Armaments
Speed

Crew: Likewise
Quality
Numbers
Weaponry
Connections

Can make own up or pick pre selected captains. Multiple galaxies to choose from as in this inter galactic is possible.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 238