Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407455 times)

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2925 on: December 27, 2016, 12:23:29 am »

Here's a scenario.

Faction in power: new rule! Other factions cannot gain points or make other factions lose points.

If you're going to do this, you'll have to find some way to keep things moving and not become locked in place.
~~~
~~~
Here's an idea. Suppose you have some guy. He's worked for most of his life on one skill. Then he takes it a little bit further. If he's a doctor, suddenly he just preformed a surgery that not only restored his patient's eyesight, but also enhanced it to supernatural levels. If he's an actor, he convinced his audience that he actually was the character he was portraying. If he's a ninja, he just hid in plain sight.

This is Mastery, the ability to take a single skill to supernatural levels after decades of practice. And the guy who just achieved it? He's not alone. The world has many more other Masters alive, many of them part of the Guild of Masters, using their supernatural abilities to dominate the world and keep knowledge of Mastery from reaching public knowledge.
Your idea fascinates me.
Discord: Liberonscien#0930

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: December 27, 2016, 12:46:54 am »

I'm wondering which one of my semi-recent forum games would be the "best" - in either simple terms or perhaps including potential. A few days ago I realized I was trying to try new game ideas and juggling too many forum games at the same time that it was likely leading to both a decrease in quality and people going "oh great another game from chiefwaffles". Which one generally wants to avoid.

So I'm considering just running one game, as hard as that may be for me to do, and focusing on it instead of 3 games at once. And I'd really appreciate quick feedback from people about which game they think is the best based on either past experience with it or the blurbs I'm about to get. I'm not expecting someone to read through each one and give a detailed summary, here. It'd be great if I could get any feedback.

Watcher AI. A slightly untraditional SG where the protagonist is an AI managing a ship full of frozen people after some out-of-sight disaster happens to the ship. It's more of a "management"-type game in that it has resources and blueprints and research. Updates are given in a vaguely-command line like format, as well.
You are an Independent Scientist. A free-form SG where the character is an arguably crazy but arguably genius man who's really good at designing and inventing stuff. That's about it, really. You make things, get components, and use your things. By "free-form" I mean this game's narrative is entirely, for lack of a non-buzzword term, emergent, and still minor. Hence the "You are ..." title.
Prints. A SG that was intended to be essentially a simple crime version of the above Independent Scientist. You do crime, rise in power, etc.. Unfortunately I made some mistakes in the narrative which got too involved. The most recent updates seem to be getting away from that, and it definitely has the potential to.
Galaxy Spark. A game in a very infantile state when I decided to take a small break from running all these games at the same time. The concept is okay - you are in command of a ship in an occupied civilization; help them. It didn't seem to get much interest, but that's hard to say considering it has had, what, 2-3 updates? Before I stopped updates for the time being.
Lone Galaxy. The most narrative-based game of the bunch, and another SG like the rest. Lone Galaxy is meant to be a bit more episodic based but I ran into the problem of creating problems that are open enough to player solutions and that don't just have a single right answer. It still has some potential, but interest seems low and I find it hard gathering the motivation to continue running a game when I continuously get 2 posts from the same small group of people per update.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: December 27, 2016, 05:00:36 pm »

I haven't hosted any suggestion games myself ever, but I'm considering starting up a MGSV suggestion game, where we play as a Diamond Dog soldier and the forumites vote on how to achieve their objectives. I'd be able to do up some pictures (of a map, at the VERY least) by cannibalizing screenshots from MGSV.

The problem is that University is starting back up soonish, I have work, and I have two programming projects I want to get done... Are suggestion game posts particularly time-consuming?
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: December 27, 2016, 08:08:18 pm »

Chief, I really enjoyed Independent Scientist.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: December 28, 2016, 06:25:23 am »

Are suggestion game posts particularly time-consuming?
Depends, doesn't it. A suggestion game with short updates and (nearly) no planning or predetermined plot might take you 10 minutes a day. Medium updates and a little planning might take 30 minutes. Demonhood, with its 'excessively' long updates and a whole sub-game of status-tracking, takes me between an hour and two hours to update.

I think that so long as you avoid undue complexity, you would be able to run a suggestion game whilst also doing the other stuff you mentioned. Your proposed Metal Gear!? game might veer into the complex, if you start tracking resources and ongoing operations, but if you avoid that and focus just on what the protagonist is doing now, it may work. I dunno, give it a shot. No one will blame you if you find you can't update it due to time constraints, as it is an unfortunate fact of life that these games die all the time.

I'd really appreciate quick feedback from people about which game they think is the best based on either past experience with it or the blurbs I'm about to get. I'm not expecting someone to read through each one and give a detailed summary, here. It'd be great if I could get any feedback.

Independent Scientist is certainly the most tried and tested of the bunch; can't go wrong with mad science. Of the others, Watcher AI catches my interest the most (could maybe use an explanation of the game's format in the first post to bring new readers up to speed). It combines aspects of Science! with a more immediate goal, and has an interesting set up.

Long Live United Forenia!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: December 28, 2016, 10:36:29 am »

I think banking on Metal Gear to not have "undue complexity" is a losing formula  :P

With that said, thanks for the encouragement. I'll see about getting that game started up on the next day I don't work. (that's tomorrow)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: December 28, 2016, 03:11:50 pm »

There are four types of games in Empire/ Kingdom mode.

First is typical suggestion/ ABC formula.

Then there is creating a kingdom and managing it with others kingdoms. Here there is no development. Your stuck with picks.

Third is like above except three categories and limited points to decide.

Last has actual research tree. But it's nation points and their delivered monthly. In future do a set up of roping said games. First does not have to. The others I guess so.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: December 30, 2016, 04:42:01 pm »

Would anyone be interesting in a game based on Tremors?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: December 31, 2016, 01:13:26 am »

I had another idea for a game. This game is a little like nomic.
Players are to post rule suggestions. If it is repeated in its original form four more times by four other players then it becomes a rule. This also applies if players are posting multiple suggestions.
Rules are made, modified, and deleted in this way.
In order to add a new rule to a preexisting set of rules the old rules are to be included in the post that suggests them unless a player is intentionally not including them.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: December 31, 2016, 02:40:57 am »

Seems like it could work. Might be a bit difficult to keep track of between pages though. Probably a good idea to put a timer on suggestions based on the first instance of that suggestion.

So how would a deletion work? Would the rule "Remove rule X" linger around after rule x is deleted? Probably not, I'm sure the initial set of rules you come up with will be rigorous enough to avoid silliness like that.

When it comes to sets of rules I assume you mean sub rules ex: 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. Is that correct?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Liberonscien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: January 01, 2017, 01:35:50 pm »

Seems like it could work. Might be a bit difficult to keep track of between pages though. Probably a good idea to put a timer on suggestions based on the first instance of that suggestion.

So how would a deletion work? Would the rule "Remove rule X" linger around after rule x is deleted? Probably not, I'm sure the initial set of rules you come up with will be rigorous enough to avoid silliness like that.

When it comes to sets of rules I assume you mean sub rules ex: 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. Is that correct?
This is the OP I have in mind:
"Rules:
1. There are two kinds of rules: game rules and meta rules.
1a. Game rules determine how the game is played. Game rules are mutable.
1b. Meta rules determine how game rules are created. Meta rules are immutable.
2. Players may change the rules in the following way:
Copy the current game rules.
Paste into word processing program.
Alter in program.
Copy altered set of rules.
Post altered set of rules.
If two other players repeat it directly afterwards it becomes game rule.
2a. New rules may be added this way.
2b. Rules may be removed this way.
3. These rules may be altered by Liberonscien at any time to remove any ambiguity. "
I know it needs work. Any suggestions?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: January 01, 2017, 04:37:26 pm »

So, discussion:
What make a forum game have a good first impression for you?
How does this differ between a roleplay or a suggestion game?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: January 02, 2017, 12:00:22 am »

Naturally that would be the first post. For RPG's it's amount of fluff and how it is displayed compared to amount of rules and boring technical stuff, because that's what really matters for role playing games. Any game where OP consists of half paragraph description of situation and two pages of rules I simply ignore, spoilered or not. Anything that makes the OP pain to read I tend to ingore: paragraphs longer than famine years, massive amounts of spoilered text, spoilers that contains only two sentences, all those reduce good impression points for me.

Two examples of good OP I can think of are Einsteinian Roulette and Our Salvation.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: January 09, 2017, 12:43:41 am »

You guys have any advice on representing probability curves (probably isn't a real term) for different types of die rolls in a stats heavy homebrew system?

Or if that's too vague, a quick easy way to visualize the differences between using 1d6 and 2d3 for example.

possible outcomes for 1d6

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
# of dice            1   1   1   1   1    1
combinations         
that achieve
this outcome

possible outcomes for 2d3

| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
# of dice            1   2   3    2   1
combinations         
that achieve
this outcome

As can be seen, when you use 2d3 rather than 1d6, 4's become more common. As a matter of fact, they appear 1 out of 3 times when you roll the dice rather than 1 out of 6 times with a regular d6. Anyway, now that I explained to you guys what my idea of a probability curve is and how dice affect it, now I can get to my question.

Do you guys have some advice for getting visual representations of these different possible combinations. Cause when you start experimenting with numbers like 1d6 + 1d12 + 5d8, it becomes a bit harder to do these calculations in your head.

Anyway, sorry for the bad description. I'm a bit sleep deprived. 
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 238