Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407621 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2760 on: September 11, 2016, 03:00:46 am »

I need witch elements. So far I have fire, frost, death, dark, nature, and psymental.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: September 11, 2016, 03:10:50 am »

I need witch elements. So far I have fire, frost, death, dark, nature, and psymental.

Earth, some unnatural/otherworldly sort of thing, maybe having to do with summoning, spirit, water, lightning, metal, light?

You might want to consider splitting up nature a bit, it can be interpreted much more broadly than some of the others at present. Maybe something like weather (which could come with lightning and water and such) and life, which could also conceivably include herblore.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: September 11, 2016, 04:12:30 am »

Pain, if it doesn't conflict too much with Death.
If you split up Nature you could have the celestial bodies be an element (Astrology perhaps?)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: September 11, 2016, 04:30:23 am »

Blood, Swamp, Growth, Rot/Pestilence, Rage, Despair, Water, Earth, Mud, Illusions, Misfortune, Beasts, or Hair.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: September 11, 2016, 05:18:41 am »

That's all I need for elements. Thanks for all of your help.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2765 on: September 21, 2016, 01:18:01 am »

I had this great idea to make a 2-player RPG where you have cars and men stand on the cars and throw shit at each other trying to kill each other. So basically Fury Road. The system is good enough IMO that I'm pondering developing this into a proper game.

The main paradigm is simplicity. No tables, no measuring tools (sorry Gorkamorka), and no board of hexes or tiles. The only requirements to play are pen and paper, a handful of d6, and counters that represent cars.

I stole the initiative system from Crossfire. Basically you can move and act with your units as much as you want, and your turn only ends when you fail an action (or your enemy hits you with reaction fire).

Speaking of moving, all cars have to face the same direction, as if you were on a road. Cars can only move orthogonally. For the most part any car can target any other car on the map as long as there isn't another car in the way. Some weapons have restrictions ("broadside" weapons, stuff you drop off the back of the car, a flamethrower you can only use when your cars are touching, etc.).

Cars have bits (tires, engine, crew) that can withstand a number of hits, and when the bits take a certain number of hits this has an effect (borrowed that from Ogre). Sometimes there are multiple tiers of effects. For example, if a car takes X amount of damage to its tires, then it needs to roll higher in order to accelerate.

Stuff to do:
- Come up with some kind of buying system for building 'armies'.
- Make choosing cars and crew nuanced enough to make repeat play interesting.
- Figure out how to make targeting different locations on a vehicle an important choice.
- Work out how to depict people jumping from one car to another and fighting hand to hand.

I've been thinking about hazardous terrain on the road that could make things interesting, that appears as the game goes on. Maybe players take turns placing obstacles that you roll for?

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: September 21, 2016, 08:45:40 am »

Ooh, sounds interesting!
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:26 am »

You might want to look at a game called convoy. It's basically that premise minus locational targeting and vehicle boarding. I should warn you though that it is a flawed game and I recommend you to look at it as more of a what not to do rather than what to do. You might get some good ideas from it regardless though as well as being aware of potential pitfalls.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2768 on: September 21, 2016, 11:04:46 am »

You might want to look at a game called convoy. It's basically that premise minus locational targeting and vehicle boarding. I should warn you though that it is a flawed game and I recommend you to look at it as more of a what not to do rather than what to do. You might get some good ideas from it regardless though as well as being aware of potential pitfalls.
I'm aware of it. Really it's just FTL.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: September 21, 2016, 01:40:53 pm »

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: September 28, 2016, 03:20:37 pm »

So, I'm a little bit dusty, and I feel like I've become a bit of an unreliable GM due to my ever increasing number of unfinished projects. Still, now that I have my degree and my life has cooled down a bit, I find myself feeling the same old itch to run a game. Maybe I can make it work, maybe I can't, but before I really began grinding my gears on it I wanted to see if there was any interested in a small group based, mechanics lite, Fairly soft Sci-Fi, Space Opera RPG?

Spoiler: Small Mercies (click to show/hide)

It's an old idea that I wanted to run, but spent far too much time weaving needlessly complicated systems that I would have had to write a program of considerable length and detail to keep track of with any accuracy. Time has mellowed my opinions on mechanics, and so I'd rather emphasize descriptive stats than deal with the trauma of creating PDAs for everyone and everything.

So, interest?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: September 28, 2016, 04:00:12 pm »

offtopic

Don't worry, nobody is perfect and everyone gathers and works through some dust from time to time :P

/offtopic
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: September 28, 2016, 04:27:39 pm »

Goodness Draignean, yes.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: September 28, 2016, 06:10:39 pm »

Interest in any game you or someone working with you run, that is what I have.

Speaking of which: weren't we working on a thing some time ago... Bio-Spikes?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: September 28, 2016, 06:14:22 pm »

Good lord, we were. That was... before a lot of things. Before I got my degree, before I got engaged....  Christ, sorry about dropping the ball on that. Did you end up making the game?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 238