Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407698 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2730 on: July 24, 2016, 09:28:23 pm »

But Mafia is a game with explicit rules about how someone wins or loses a game. You can't "win" a roleplaying game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: July 24, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »

But Mafia is a game with explicit rules about how someone wins or loses a game. You can't "win" a roleplaying game.
Well, it would be less about being good at winning and more about being well-known among the community and/or funny to watch play.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: July 27, 2016, 01:00:49 am »

I'm looking for some generic fantasy poetry/music that's of decent quality. Anyone know of any?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 01, 2016, 03:58:24 am »

I was trying to think of what a 'realistic' spacecraft would look like while still retaining a sort of space opera feel would look like, and I got... pancakes. It's got a multi-purpose lander with an internal centrifuge, meant to be able to land on Mars, Ceres, or any moon and pick up a sizeable amount of patients or cargo while still acting as a home base in space. The habitat section is for critical patients, cargo, and basically offloading anything not needed in the hangar. It's much lighter because it doesn't need structure for atmospheric entry, fuel tanks, engines, landing gear, etc, and its power supply comes from the engine block.

On that note... how do people feel about a game that only takes place in the solar system? Other planets and such are pretty much a staple of sci-fi, but in the end all the action happens around planets and stations anyway, so changing a name from "Ares" to "Mars" doesn't seem like a big deal.

EDIT: Was impossible to read in darkling.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 04:28:45 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: August 01, 2016, 05:26:20 am »

More importantly, it has a very small, insular community. I haven't been part of it in years and could still probably name half the most noteworthy players. Here? We've got a swarm of postmongering magical girl academy players, a host of wacky RTD players, several cabals of SG players of all stripes, the more serious game gaggles... even if you could figure out who's Best Known or whatever, the answer probably changes radically depending on your criteria and areas of interest.

Well, it would be less about being good at winning and more about being well-known among the community and/or funny to watch play.
I feel like the gimmicks required to make this more interesting to watch than a normal game would make it not worth the effort. You'd probably have to make their home forum a race/class style thing to give "Bob from Bay12" more meaning than "Bob from here, I guess, since he's playing."

Which, of course, opens up the next hurdle: Figuring out what each forum is good/known for. As mentioned above, Mafia has clear rules, and can thus be enjoyed almost like a sport. You could do something similar and gain enjoyment from "ha, Forum A kicked Forum B's ass!", but otherwise you kind of need ForumAs to be different from ForumBs in a clear, consistent manner, or the whole thing just runs together.

I'm looking for some generic fantasy poetry/music that's of decent quality. Anyone know of any?
Lindsey Sterling does a lot of fast-paced violins? I got nothing if you're after lyrics.

On that note... how do people feel about a game that only takes place in the solar system? Other planets and such are pretty much a staple of sci-fi, but in the end all the action happens around planets and stations anyway, so changing a name from "Ares" to "Mars" doesn't seem like a big deal.
I like space pancakes.

Uh, but anyway, I'm not a huge fan of solar system only because it feels a little limited. Sure, it's big, but it's still finite and relatively close. Opening up the rest of the galaxy, even if in a very hazardous, limited way, gives you literally infinite potential.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 01, 2016, 06:21:41 am »

I was trying to think of what a 'realistic' spacecraft would look like while still retaining a sort of space opera feel would look like, and I got... pancakes. It's got a multi-purpose lander with an internal centrifuge, meant to be able to land on Mars, Ceres, or any moon and pick up a sizeable amount of patients or cargo while still acting as a home base in space. The habitat section is for critical patients, cargo, and basically offloading anything not needed in the hangar. It's much lighter because it doesn't need structure for atmospheric entry, fuel tanks, engines, landing gear, etc, and its power supply comes from the engine block.

EDIT: Was impossible to read in darkling.
Reminds me of the early xcom UFOs.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: August 01, 2016, 02:00:12 pm »

Yeah, I got back into pixel art. A forum game was a good excuse to do it.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: August 01, 2016, 02:10:46 pm »

I like space pancakes.

Uh, but anyway, I'm not a huge fan of solar system only because it feels a little limited. Sure, it's big, but it's still finite and relatively close. Opening up the rest of the galaxy, even if in a very hazardous, limited way, gives you literally infinite potential.

I do too, it makes for easy floorplans.

Well, the basic premise of the plot is some sort of interstellar meddlling, which has the potential to turn interstellar, but you're right. The sheer fact that I'm asking is probably a sign that it's a little limiting.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: August 01, 2016, 02:49:32 pm »

So I've got an idea for a strategy game. It's focused on underground tunnels, and fighting between Dwarves and Goblins. Maybe Kobolds, too.

The premise behind the game is that when you fight, and particularly when you destroy or rout an enemy unit, you get Glory (as Dwarves) or Spoils (as Goblins). Each unit carries it's own share of Glory, but they're only useful once you return to base, whether that be a Dwarven Hold, or a Goblin Lair. Upon a unit's triumphant return, they can spend that Glory to recover strength, recruit warriors, gain equipment, and otherwise be upgraded. Each point of Glory spent also adds to Prestige (if Dwarven) or Loot (if Goblin), which is required for victory. Leftover Glory from a unit's purchases(even if none were made) is automatically used to purchase additional Prestige.

There are multiple players on each team (maybe up to five?), each assuming the role of either a Dwarven Clan Leader or a Goblin Chieftain, and you win by being the player with the highest Prestige on your team at the end of the game. Because of this team system, another factor comes in: You are able to attack your teammate's units. If you successfully destroy them, with the attack automatically counting as an ambush, you get half of the Glory or Spoils that they were carrying, though you do not gain any from the attack itself, and their controller is informed only that they were ambushed and fell to a man. If you fail, then if they manage to return to a Hold/Lair, the attacking player loses Prestige equal to half of the Glory/Spoils the returning unit was carrying, plus a bit. (Goblins may be backstabbing thieves, but they like to think they can be united against the loathsome Dwarves)

Dwarves are tougher and stronger than Goblins in a straight fight, with better equipment and training, but Goblins are more faster, more numerous, and are able to hide in crevices and climb surfaces that Dwarves can't. Goblins have also tamed many more of the beasts of the caverns than Dwarves have, though the Dwarves' advanced machinery and superior engineering helps make up for this. Goblins also get bonuses to ambushing, while Dwarven formations dominate straightforward fights. Successful leaders may also enlist the aid of more magical allies...

If Kobolds are involved, then instead of Glory they earn Treasure, and instead of Prestige they earn Favor with the Dragons whom they worship. Though not as nimble as the Goblins nor as mighty as the Dwarves, Kobolds are cunning, and are very good at laying traps, and may even be able to call upon the aid of their gods in securing their Nests.

If Kobolds are not involved, then there will be Dragon Hoard on the map defended by a roaming dragon. Defeating one and taking it's treasure not only grants a large amount of Glory and immediate Prestige, it also enables the founding of an additional Hold or Lair, which is another matter I'll get into if interest is shown.

Anyone like the idea? I like it primarily because of the way I can manipulate incentives with only a two-step currency, one of which is per unit and the other of which is per player.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 01, 2016, 03:44:07 pm »

Definitely interesting. Making a mechanically complex game like this does come with a few worries though. The first one I want to bring up is balance, it'll be a bit of a challenge fine-tuning the numbers to make the game perfectly balanced. Last thing you want is for either of the factions to be overpowered. Unstable Equilibrium is also something you need to worry about.

Another problem you need to worry about is something that's part of the nature of forum games in general. Mechanics focused games don't usually last that long here. There are a few exceptions (mafia being one of them), but most of the time they fail. Sadly though, I'm not an expert so I don't know exactly why this happens. Maybe one of the more experienced GMs can add something?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: August 01, 2016, 03:48:27 pm »

Another problem you need to worry about is something that's part of the nature of forum games in general. Mechanics focused games don't usually last that long here. There are a few exceptions (mafia being one of them), but most of the time they fail. Sadly though, I'm not an expert so I don't know exactly why this happens. Maybe one of the more experienced GMs can add something?

1. The players can't be arsed to invest themselves into making decisions when the rules are dense.

2. The GM really can't be arsed to keep making turns with a complex system they cobbled together and didn't actually playtest for legitimate usability.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 01, 2016, 06:00:39 pm »

1. The players can't be arsed to invest themselves into making decisions when the rules are dense.

2. The GM really can't be arsed to keep making turns with a complex system they cobbled together and didn't actually playtest for legitimate usability.
3. They're a bit of a waste for the medium. The ability to be flexible and just sort of do whatever is one of the great strengths of playing by post, both for players and GMs, and using an overly mechanical system tends to limit that quite a bit. You might notice FEF, one of the noteworthy examples of such, tends to be feature pretty heavy roleplaying, quite possibly to offset the "move to A6, attack" nature of the game otherwise.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 01, 2016, 10:30:09 pm »

I like Kobolds, machines, cool creatures, and strategy, so I'd join.

Definitely interesting. Making a mechanically complex game like this does come with a few worries though. The first one I want to bring up is balance, it'll be a bit of a challenge fine-tuning the numbers to make the game perfectly balanced. Last thing you want is for either of the factions to be overpowered. Unstable Equilibrium is also something you need to worry about.

Why did you link to the forbidden site?! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 02, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »

I've been considering starting a new Nomic game. My plan this time is currently to put the rules and other data in either a pastebin, or some other online document anyone could edit. That way there would be far less onus on myself for the game to progress. Ideally it'd be a game I'd be able to abandon entirely in the worst case scenario, and still have the players able to run it just fine. I suppose they wouldn't be able to change the title without a new thread, but that's the worst of it really. Would anyone be interested in such, and does anyone have any recommended storage locations if so. Piratepad and the like are nice and all but I'd like a few second opinions. Obviously in this format there wouldn't be any issue with me being a player, since it would be a game without a master. I wouldn't have any special powers in that sense. The only major input I'd have is the initial set(which is a work in progess), and then it'd be mostly out of my hands.

A couple questions ruleset wise:

1: Would you prefer a format where players post all their proposals at once, and have them processed simultaneously(ideally at a fixed rate)? Alternatively, would you rather player's be able to propose at any time, but have those proposals have a defined end point(A time limit of sorts) by which the votes must be tallied.

The second system might have a little more work in keeping track of proposals(and votes on such), but I definitely feel like it has merits, especially in that it removes many of the annoying facets of a turn based system. Both systems would have a limit to the number of pending proposals a player can have of course, but I feel like inactive players would also bog down the game less that way.

2: How large a majority should be game require for proposals to be enacted. More than half? Two thirds? Three Forths? Unanimous?(This is probably a terrible idea don't pick this one)

Can't think of any more yet, but they might come up.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 238