Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407719 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2715 on: July 18, 2016, 06:07:35 pm »

So I was thinking about doing a suggestion game. I have a background planned out, but there's a few different games I feel would work well in the same setting.

The setting:

It is close to the year 3000. Humanity has not left the solar system, but we have colonized six bodies off-Earth, each with its own flavor of unobtanium to facilitate space trade.

Spoiler: Major Colonies (click to show/hide)

However, tension has been increasing the past century due to a large-scale extrasolar mining project started nine centuries ago. Robotic miners were sent to the star Beta Pictoris to build up factories and create antimatter refineries out of the star's debris disk. Now the first shipment is set to arrive in fifty years, and both the Colonials and the Terrans have built up navies to compete for dominance of the solar system in preparation. Large-scale warfare has never happened before in the solar system, so space combat doctrine is yet to be tried and tested.

I could also host a more traditional RtD in the setting, but I've learned to dislike games where everyone's forced to share the same ship. If anyone has any suggestions on how to handle that while retaining some sense of player cooperation, I'd appreciate it.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:28 pm »

If you're making a space game, you have to heavily stylise it like 40k did or it'll probably end up being generic.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 18, 2016, 11:41:47 pm »

Not necessarily. You think in absolutes entirely too often, Andres.

Besides which, generic doesn't mean bad.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 18, 2016, 11:54:08 pm »

Well, I think he has a point. Mass Effect would be pretty damn generic if the story was told by me  ;)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 19, 2016, 12:12:06 am »

Made Effect is already generic. It just does it well. That's what matters.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2720 on: July 19, 2016, 12:14:51 am »

If you're making a space game, you have to heavily stylise it like 40k did or it'll probably end up being generic.
You're joking right?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: July 19, 2016, 01:50:58 am »

You're joking right?
I haven't been able to distinguish the various space games that've popped up on this board. The only generic sci-fi I can recognise at a glance are in video games and movies, not in forum games.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: July 19, 2016, 02:21:58 am »

It does take a lot to build the sort of memes 40K has. Although being generic has its pluses, I've noticed my more generic games have had more unique characters in them, simply because people had established tropes already to work with.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: July 19, 2016, 04:05:50 pm »

I really like this idea, even outside the setting, because it encourages players to try to solve problems non-violently, and it gives players a goal other than trying to get as much money as possible (though I think money should still be a factor, with things like supplies, buying new equipment, payroll, having to bribe officials, etc.). They probably shouldn't have to fund the whole operation themselves, but, out in the field, it doesn't matter how much money your organization has if you don't have cash on hand. Or sometimes you might have an expense that headquarters wouldn't be willing to authorize, or you just don't have the cash, so you need to find something besides money to exchange for goods or services.

Also, I figure it's your intention, but the game should solely focus on the ship itself, specifically its crew, the people who care enough about saving lives that they're willing to risk their own entering a battlefield to help people. Even if the crew is especially large, you should have a few characters use as viewpoint characters. But also take advantage of the fact that it's a suggestion game, and that if you kidnap or even kill a character, you're not putting anyone out of the game. The players are putting are putting them at risk when they try risky things, and, if you lose them, it's going to be hard to find a replacement with their skills, especially while on a mission. See what happens when your best surgeon gets captured in the field or your chief engineer gets killed by pirates.

And, perhaps if a character loses contact with the main group, the players shouldn't be able to see what they see or dictate their actions; they either do nothing or follow their last orders, or whatever the gm deems appropriate. Contact would mean having their personal comm radio on them, or just being on the ship, but, if for some reason you needed them be incognito or whatever, you could have them not using their comm, in which case they'd stop being directly controllable, and you'd have to send and receive any new communication or orders by other means. I don't know, it's just an idea to prevent metagaming.

But back to my mention of kidnapping: this game should probably involve less killing of player characters than most games, or at least intent to kill them on the part of NPCs. In some ways because this it's more realistic this way (most real life thieves would be a lot more willing to negotiate than most D&D bandits), and also because, as people with an aversion to killing, it will be a little harder for the characters to do things if every enemy they meet is always out for blood. This doesn't mean they'll necessarily be friendly, and since player combat won't be a focus, combat could be much more lethal and injuries more debilitating than usual, making surrender and parley much more agreeable options to players. And enemies should generally be willing to accept their surrender, because captured prisoners can be held for ransom, information, prisoner exchange, or to perform some service for the enemy, and also because most people are adverse to killing a helpless opponent.

Looking back at the post, you specifically call out space battles, and I suppose it wouldn't work so well with the setting you have, but at first I was imagining them operating on planets: having to land on the planet (harder on some more hostile worlds; some trickery may be needed), negotiate their way to the battlefield, set up a field hospital, and in some cases successfully extract patients back their ship for proper treatment (or even getting ship and patient away from the planet to a more advanced treatment facility). This might require a more advanced setting with FTL and human-habitable planets and a planetary defense system that prevents ships from just landing right on the battlefield. I don't know. But what I really liked about the whole doctors idea was that it encourages players to be clever and tactful and not try to solve their problems by going in all guns blazing.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 19, 2016, 04:17:10 pm »

I echo Kadzar's thoughts on Doctors without Orbits. I'd imagine a whole number of complications and dilemmas for the crew - what if one side of the battle demands you only tend to their wounded at the risk of being arrested or attacked? If pirates board you - and it turns out they need surgery for their leader, though giving such aid would cause problems with other factions. If one side offers you a sizeable reward or desperately-needed funding for your help, which risks your image of neutrality? I like it for the variety of non-violent problems and solutions you could throw at 'em.

I also like it because I know sooner or later someone is going to treat it as an actioney combat game and ruin everything by fighting someone you really shouldn't.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

maidiance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 19, 2016, 06:59:12 pm »

PTW

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 24, 2016, 02:43:28 am »

Okay guys, idea here...

What if we took the top three or so best/most well known forumites from a bunch of different forums and put them in a forum game together with a legendary GM?

I have no plans to actually do that; I'm just putting the idea out there.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: July 24, 2016, 03:14:42 am »

The idea reminds me of Zac Effron at E3.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 24, 2016, 05:49:28 am »

So, basically, you'd have to figure out who are the top players and how the hell do you judge that, do the same for the GM, somehow convince them to use their time on this game, make a game all of them actually want to play, get them to migrate to the same place from their forums of choice...

Yeah, uh, good luck with that.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: July 24, 2016, 08:48:35 pm »

So, basically, you'd have to figure out who are the top players and how the hell do you judge that, do the same for the GM, somehow convince them to use their time on this game, make a game all of them actually want to play, get them to migrate to the same place from their forums of choice...

Yeah, uh, good luck with that.
Hey, Mafia Championship did that!
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 238