Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407471 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2415 on: September 30, 2015, 02:28:00 am »

A book that is alive can speak with its user, influence user's actions if s/he is too weak willed, and cast magic on its own. If grimoire doesn't like its user, then it might actively hinder when user casts spells written in it. Grimoires even might have their own agenda.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: September 30, 2015, 08:50:58 am »

Well, maybe Grimoirs, while containing "Greater Magic", are needed to channel these spells.
As in, unlike from tomes, you can't "retain" or copy any Grimoir spells, as these books are a vital component of the spell?
Right, like a "shortcut" to "Ritual Magic" - Spells that complicated, that you can't pull them off from memory. Instead of needing to calculate and draw down runes for the spell, vóila~, a Grimoire has it all (or mostly) prepared for you already.

The other route which comes to mind, is that Tomes contain "Scientific" Magic. Each rune, gesture and incantation is measured, as is the minimum and maximum amount of power that the mage has to or can use with certain spells.

Grimoirs, on the other hand, are used in "Sorcery". These spells are more wild magic, and intuitive understandig of it, than measurement and formula like used in magic. Consider them a fair bit stronger, but less frequent useage, and greater backlash from failed spells.

So yeah, kind of like the differences between D&D Wizards / Warlocks

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: September 30, 2015, 05:31:33 pm »

A book that is alive can speak with its user, influence user's actions if s/he is too weak willed, and cast magic on its own. If grimoire doesn't like its user, then it might actively hinder when user casts spells written in it. Grimoires even might have their own agenda.
Well, maybe Grimoirs, while containing "Greater Magic", are needed to channel these spells.
As in, unlike from tomes, you can't "retain" or copy any Grimoir spells, as these books are a vital component of the spell?
Right, like a "shortcut" to "Ritual Magic" - Spells that complicated, that you can't pull them off from memory. Instead of needing to calculate and draw down runes for the spell, vóila~, a Grimoire has it all (or mostly) prepared for you already.
Excellent ideas. This is basically everything I need concerning the subject. It also fits in very nicely with the magic system I have planned.
escaped lurker's second idea is actually something that a tome could do. However, the "shortcut to ritual magic" line has given me the idea of grimoires re/writing themselves for a variety of reasons, one of them being to help their readers. I probably won't make all grimoires have this ability but it's still an idea I'll probably use.

The other route which comes to mind, is that Tomes contain "Scientific" Magic. Each rune, gesture and incantation is measured, as is the minimum and maximum amount of power that the mage has to or can use with certain spells.

Grimoirs, on the other hand, are used in "Sorcery". These spells are more wild magic, and intuitive understandig of it, than measurement and formula like used in magic. Consider them a fair bit stronger, but less frequent useage, and greater backlash from failed spells.

So yeah, kind of like the differences between D&D Wizards / Warlocks
If I'm going to have this it won't be through the tome/grimoire system. Despite the grimoires being alive they're still very much books and so would be "scientific" in the same sense that tomes are. Sorcery will probably find its way in but with some other method. Staves, maybe, or some kind of powerful artifact. That's something I've gotta think about on my own.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: September 30, 2015, 10:55:26 pm »

So, I have my game, Galaxy Fall.
Unsurprisingly, I'm getting a rather low amount of posts from people who aren't me. Anyone have any idea why?

I assume it's because of a lack of a path to follow, but I plan to fix that in the near future. Problem is, I'm still not that great with a "main quest"-type thing of sorts. I'd never want it to be too railroading or restricting, but I don't know how to get it in a sweet spot where it's just guiding enough but not too obvious and still allowing freedom.
Basically my skills right now would allow me to type something up like "MAYBE YOU SHOULD VISIT THAT. IT SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD IDEA. HINT HINT."

Fun fact: I more or less made this same post (minus the "I assume" part) a year or so ago for Galaxy Rise. Some things don't change!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: September 30, 2015, 11:02:51 pm »

Best way to go, I think, is to wing it. Give clear ideas of options they can take, as well as leaving it open to inventive stuff, and go with what people end up wanting to do, and how they want to do it, rinse, repeat.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: October 02, 2015, 03:42:51 am »

Are there any other forums of equal or greater quality than Bay12 when it comes to PbPs and RtDs? There doesn't seem to be many games I'm interested in here and I'm thinking about branching out to other forums.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: October 02, 2015, 07:06:22 am »

Myth-weavers has a lot. Spacebattles has quite a few.

Theres tons on bigger sites for internet games out there.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 03, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »

Finally got a chance to check them out. Myth-Weavers doesn't have good organisation and requires a membership to access the archives but Spacebattles looks promising.

In other news, I've finally figured out how I'm gonna do grievous hits: any natural 20 attack on a body area that has lower armour than the weapon's damage will be subject to a grievous hit. It will usually result in the loss of something unless the body part is the torso.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 05:23:04 pm by Andres »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: October 06, 2015, 12:49:06 am »

So I kind of want to do a freeform RPG thing in the same "Galaxy Rise Universe" that I have another active game in right now for several reasons:
a.) To get better at writing, still. There's something about my writing style that I find weird. It just feels so.. stagnant
b.) To improve at possible actions. I said this pretty recently, but I can't really present a list of possible actions without making it super obvious or so subtle no one will notice. This is kind of the main one. I don't know how everyone else does it!
c.) For fun, of course! It'd be less complex than my usual games. As I said, it'd be freeform. So it's more like "You do A and now you're B" then a complex turn-based strategy thing.

Soo here's an excerpt from a possible OP (really just the straight up action stuff of the OP, skipping the little background info):
An Uark slams you in the back with his entire body, sending both of you careening off of the skyscraper! Flying off the top of the skyscraper, something that makes your day even worse happens as the world slows to the point where time almost appears still.
An Uark fighter is about to hit you. In one second.
What do you do?
So I've kind of obviously gone for an explosive start, but I'm still worried about the available options here.
Opinions? [On the excerpt/general 'idea'?]
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: October 10, 2015, 07:33:38 pm »

I’ve been meaning to read “Galaxy Rise Universe”, but I been busy lately. Hopefully I’ll get the time to look into it at some point. Anyway, here are some opinions:

a) I don’t really know your writing style, but the excerpt below seems dynamic rather than stagnant. If you don’t like something about your writing, then try experimenting with different writing styles, different tenses, and different perspectives that you’re not used to.

b) I think listing out choices is not necessarily a bad thing if you want to guide the story down a certain path. Even if you list out choices, there’s still plenty of room for creativity as people will sometimes throw in plan C if they don’t like A or B.

c) Fun is always a good point.

Excerpt choice analysis) Someone could suggest to dodge the hit, hit the Uark, wake up from the dream, panic, beg for their life, or pretty much anything. One potential problem could be that the player will suggest something outside the character’s or world’s ability if you planned to set some sort of limit on the character or world.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: October 14, 2015, 08:16:01 pm »

I have been taken by a fey mood again and want to run another D&D game.

Is... is there still any interest?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: October 14, 2015, 08:16:54 pm »

Play-by-post or Roll20?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 14, 2015, 08:17:26 pm »

PBP, like always.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 14, 2015, 08:18:09 pm »

Then I can say you have at least one vaguely interested individual.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 238