Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407304 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2295 on: June 04, 2015, 09:16:40 pm »

If they have the technology for interstellar colonisation, what parts do they have to invent? And if they have technology advanced enough to render the natives impotent, what challenges do they actually face?
In-game, Kerbals can survive in a tiny piloting module (or just an EVA suit) indefinitely. This nicely opens up the possibilities of low-tech colony ships.
If I assume that the only real weapons tech they bring is asteroid impacts, imprecise cruise missiles, and orbital mass drops, there's plenty of room for the RNG and player squabbling to mess everything up. (Destroying the only inhabitable real-estate is not the way to get a good ending.)

X-Com Apocalypse is against interdimensional aliens. Why have weak aliens, anyway? And what do you mean by fought all-out? Presumably any development of weaponry is limited by the fact most of the fighting will be done in this universe and presumably Earth, else there's not much reason to fight.
Large-scale planet vs planet war, mostly. Apocalypse was more city vs city.

[Elemental Planes] seems like it might end up a little soulless and abstract, so I'm not sure I can recommend it.

However, the ally-enemy thing could potentially be handled via global terrain stats [....]

A sort of recycling theme for your troops[...]
Hmm. Yeah, I'd need to carefully balance out soulless abstractions vs my ability to run it.

Global terrain stats. So .. Say, there's 50 darkness points/resource units and 50 light points/resource units. Terraforming a dark plane would shift that to 40/57, also slightly strengthening the other elements? That's .. very intriguing. I'm going to think on this. It could make for a very interesting, if surreal, diplomatic game. The potential snowballing would only add to the diplomacy, I think, and I'd want to balance it towards shorter games.

Anyway, it sounds a little to me like these are less about XCOM and more about blowing things up in various ways.
Yeah, I guess those would have been XCOM in name only.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 08, 2015, 10:48:42 pm »

I had this idea for a suggestion game, and I would like some opinions on the concept.

The idea involves a setting akin to science fantasy, but with less science; the cops have scimitars and modern semi-automatic pistols; the main character lives in a cheap apartment in the industrial district of their city because they can't bring themselves to sell their family heirloom crystal shield; one of the judges on the Ultimate Court of Justice is a wise river spirit several thousand years old.

The plot goes something like this: the main character is hired by a shady alchemist to rob some peoples' houses for enigmatic purposes. They are pursued by a mysterious white-coated detective with a thick accent that sounds vaguely Eastern European who seems to know the main character's motives. The main character performs progressively shadier dealings while evading the detective, whose past is slowly revealed as he descends ever closer on the main character.

The game mechanics, as I envision them, would draw somewhat heavily from Liberal Crime Squad, along with some more traditional roguelike elements  and concepts I've come up with through hours of forum games.
And no, this would not immediately decend into the farcical madness my other suggestion games became all too quickly.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 09, 2015, 03:00:58 am »

Tawarochir count me IN for your game idea

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: July 18, 2015, 04:32:10 pm »

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, just thought it'd be better than making a new one.

ANYWAY, I've been struck by the urge to create an Infinite Stratos game. Probably going to be a freeform RP, unless someone can suggest a system (I suck at anything with long calculations). Anyone interested?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: July 18, 2015, 05:49:34 pm »

This is the thread for gaming discussion. "Resurrecting" this thread is fine and making a new thread is not. I can't really comment on your Infinite Stratos game because I'm not into RP games.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: July 18, 2015, 06:12:39 pm »

Chances are it would have combat, but it wouldn't be the focus, no.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: July 19, 2015, 01:43:04 am »

Also it's been a month.

That's not dead.

That's hiabeetus.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: July 19, 2015, 02:40:34 am »

I was thinking of creating something on forum games and roleplaying. I have the story & how it would evolve, but I just don't know what the point of the game would be.

The characters start in Chroma, a supposed utopia where everything is colorful and abstract-ish. The primary ruling families are the Reds, the Yellows, and the Blues, all of which inbreed constantly so as to keep their bloodline pure. They look down on the secondary colors (the middle class) and try to pretend the tertiary colors don't even exist (the lower class). However, the only people who oppose the system are the tertiaries, so it takes a long time before a revolution happens.

After the revolution, everyone is stripped of their colors and instead a grey-scale system is implemented. This is now Grey. The revolutionary leaders make themselves white, and make the others varying shades of grey depending on how much they helped - from grey_1, the darkest, to grey_9 the lightest. They then make the ruling families into Blacks - outcasts. This new system is the very opposite of the old. Where before there was abstraction and emotion, there is now rationalty and practicality. The system is held together with bureaucracy and rules, and only the whites can do things freely without being monitored or tripping over red tape. This system also lasts a long time, but then the fallen primaries return with a proposition. If they could somehow combine, then they could create a utopia where everyone had it the way they liked. Together, they created Tone.

At first, Tone seemed like the final Utopia, but it lasted much shorter than the eras before it. The colors were reinstated, along with some of the vibrancy. However, the rationality that kept Grey together remained. In honor of the redemption of the Blacks, the power was divided proportionally according to how close each color was to black. Soon they discovered a certain pattern about those in power. As time went on, more and more power was given to the elders. Not much heed was paid to the matter, since people were happy and the elders' wisdom served them well. However, the elders thought very much about it, first out of curiosity, then out of concern. They had realized why they were the ones in power. Each succesive generation had less and less black in it, so the generations before them always had more. Within a few more generation - the elders realized - they would return to Chroma! So quickly, they hatched a plan. They devised a system where the young would rule, full of ambition and immune to the greed the middle-aged possessed. Then they planted a seed of revolution among the young and waited.

The elders did not have to wait for long. The rebellious young generations rose against the old swiftly. The elders had done too well of a job, however, and they all were wiped out before they could pass on any wisdom to the younger ones. Free of the pressure to have dark colors, the young created Phosphor. There, the power was given to the brightest colors. This power division was that of Chroma, yet it was also the opposite. To keep their colors bright, they kept their ratios of blue to red to yellow as close as they could. Essentially, it seemed to  those that still believed in it that the revolution had failed. It had produced the same tyrant, but with a different face. However, Phosphor suffered from one problem Chroma did not. Burn-out. On occasion, a very bright color would stop glowing, turning a deep, sludgy brown. These colors were - like all others opposite to the elite in eras before - cast out of society...

That's where it ends. I think that after this, true Utopia is achieved, but since it is the end, I don't need to really explain what it looks like. Anyway... does anyone have an idea on how I could use this?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: July 19, 2015, 07:08:41 pm »

That's where it ends. I think that after this, true Utopia is achieved, but since it is the end, I don't need to really explain what it looks like. Anyway... does anyone have an idea on how I could use this?
It sounds like you like the story more than you like what might come out of the story, which makes it hard to genuinely make a game out of it. Is there any part of it you feel would be improved with player input/direction? What do you like about it? Which parts would absolutely have to stay the same?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: July 24, 2015, 09:00:04 pm »

So, I had a random idea that popped up during my RE class where people were given a sheet containing about thirty or so bidding items (Most were kinda wish things, one that was a nutrient pill that could solve world hunger, perfect nuclear missile defence, or having a church constructed at an area of your choosing, one was even a winner of a miss universe pageant, I'm pretty sure) to make a little Forum game based around bidding!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is pretty bare-bones, really, but I would like some suggestions for things to add on to it.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: July 24, 2015, 09:22:35 pm »

I want to GM a game but im having trouble on the theme and stuff. any suggestion is welcome.
         I have a few ideas but I don't think they will work. again any suggestion is welcome
No sig yet

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:43 pm »

So, I had a random idea that popped up during my RE class where people were given a sheet containing about thirty or so bidding items (Most were kinda wish things, one that was a nutrient pill that could solve world hunger, perfect nuclear missile defence, or having a church constructed at an area of your choosing, one was even a winner of a miss universe pageant, I'm pretty sure) to make a little Forum game based around bidding!
This is pretty bare-bones, really, but I would like some suggestions for things to add on to it.

I think I have an idea to expand on that.
A deathmatch. With auctions for stuff before it starts.
That would probably belong in the RTD subforum though.
Would you mind if I use that idea?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: July 24, 2015, 09:32:05 pm »

Oh man, that sounds really cool.
Sure, go ahead, just make sure I can get a spot on it, alright?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: July 24, 2015, 09:38:06 pm »

Feels overelaborate and pointless. The realtime/schedule thing feels like it slows the game down more than it adds anything, and the actual game doesn't appear to have an objective. I feel like you need a simpler, quicker system with an actual goal.

If you want the game to be about bidding, maybe randomly drawn objective and auction cards? Every player has a set of goals they'd like to achieve, and most likely not all of them are going to be feasible at once. So when items come online for sale, they need to figure out how much they're willing to spend on each item, taking into account how well it fits which of their objectives, how much it'll tip off the other players that you need that thing, which other things you'd like to bid on that round, and how badly you want to bleed out or deny items to other players. You could have massive bidding wars around items nobody actually needs, but everybody assumed everybody else needed.

If you just want the game to involve bidding, you'd want an external goal, like "keep the country running" or "don't let this densely inhabited space station fall into the sun." Bidding would then be the method by which players attempted to complete disparate, sometimes competing goals, along with some of the cloak and dagger and misdirection stuff from a purely bid to win system.

I want to GM a game but im having trouble on the theme and stuff. any suggestion is welcome.
         I have a few ideas but I don't think they will work. again any suggestion is welcome
When in doubt, take everything you like, dump it into a cauldron, and see what boils up. Hard Scifi Power Rangers Noir Revenge Story In 1800s Venice? Well, could work... and should keep you fairly interested.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:12 pm »

Oh man, that sounds really cool.
Sure, go ahead, just make sure I can get a spot on it, alright?
Certainly. The game should be obvious when you look in the subforum. Your spot is hereby reserved.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 238